what is considered flowering

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by pimpdaddy005, Mar 23, 2010.

1. yes just hoping someone could tell me what is considered flowering is it when you switch to 12 and 12 or is it when u see the first clump of pistils so basically do u start ur 8 weeks as soon as u turn back light or wait till u see pistils

2. it is my understanding it is 8 weeks from when you flip the lights.

3. Hey well there is preflowering that's when the plant shows signs of sexual maturity usually preflowering starts around 5th-6th week of vegging you will see calyx's between nodes & two pisitls this is a sign your ready to start the 12/12 cycle & being flowering if you want. But flowering is usually 8-9 weeks from when you make the switch to 12/12.

4. cool thats what i thought just read some stuff that kind of made it sound like it wasnt until u see cluster of pistils which usually takes 10 to 14 days after light change any one else have an opinion looking for lots of opinions thanks

5. flowering begins when you see pistils so you start your counting from the first pistils being shown. if you go from when you switch the lights you may end up cropping early.

it takes 8/9 weeks for an indica to flower from the first pistils an 9/10 weeks for a sativa.

but you harvest on trichromes anyways, could take 7 weeks for a plant to mature to the standard you want or even 10 depending on what ya harvest at and what your target trics are

good luck

6. #6 Do Work, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
    This guy knows the answers.

Besides, like Jay was hinting at, harvest times are all relative anyway. Just because a breeder says the plant will be done in 8 weeks doesn't mean you should pick it then. Generally they are saying, "you can pick on week 8, but if you wait until week 9 and 10 you will get wayyy better bud". But 1) makes their product look better because people want quick harvests and 2) they're not technically lieing. The plant is ready at week 8, it's probably just not as good as it could be.

That is why the best growers say following a schedule is baloney. You follow what the girl tells you. Check her trichs when she is looking close to done. When you see those first few amber trichs, then you start your 10-14 day flush, and bam soon as the flush is done it's chopping time! Personally, I don't even wait for the 50/50 thing, because I cba to see when exactly 50% is amber, I just know when I see amber, more is on the way. If I flush then in 10-14 days even if she isn't 50% amber, she's going to be very ripe, and very dank.

I can guarantee if you follow that bit alone, you will grow dank pot every time. The sooner you forget what week you are on, the easier it will be for you to just accept that she will be done when she is done.

7. this is excellent information.

8. ok cool getting a few different opinions the more the better but i wonder which is right i guess trial and error is the only sure way to know thanks all for your help and if anyone else wants to chime in pls do

9. The point is that it doesn't matter when flowering "started". If it is the day you flip to 12/12 or the day you see a pistil it does not matter. A plant is done when she is done, not on week 8 of flower.

Watch her grow, check her trichs often, and you will know when she is done, not by what some breeder tells you. They will give you a ballpark, but your growing conditions will determine the true chop-date. There is no argument to this.