What is Causing this?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by washmo, Jun 16, 2011.

1. I have started two separate sets of sprouts, one in 100% jiffy seed starter and one that was a mix of 90% jiffy and 10% Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

I ONLY added the FF soil because the sprout that was in the 100% jiffy start had the exact same deficiency/burnt look at the tips of the two big leaves...

I am perplext as to why this has happened on both...

Is it possible for LED lights to burn the leaves? This is my first time using LED lights and I'm worried that it might have been a mistake to purchase them...

They're only 14watts LED lights.

Anyone have some suggestions as to why this is happening?

Attached Files:

2. never personally used leds... looks sorta like its overwatered.. is there drainage holes? do you make sure the soil dries out?

3. Yes, there are drainage holes and I let the soul dry out. This isn't my first grow. It's just my first time using LEDs. I hope that it will make it through this burnt look... It's saddening

4. dude those led's man.... idk. i haven't heard anything good about them except for veg and 14 watts should not be hurting your baby at all. probably the nutes. because i heard that LED's are not supposed to burn the plants at all

5. make sure it's on 12/12 lighting too you might be giving it too much light :/

6. Thanks! Yeah, it's still in the Veg stage. I want to do a SOG. Maybe I will try switching to 16 hrs on and 8 hours off?

7. that little seedling should stay on 12/12 until she's at least got some good lookin nodes then put her on 18/6 trust me. if you are over 12/12 as a seedling yea you might be burning it...:bongin:

8. what are the temperatures in the box? in my experience when a plant shows signs from that on the tips of the leaves its heat damage. the amount of light it gets has nothing to do if it gets burned, expecially with LED's, my suggestion to you would be to move the light a little further away from the plant. another thing is do not give it any form of nutrients until after the round baby leaves have fallen off, which takes about 2 weeks.

9. not enough lights. i personnaly think led needs to come a lil further but you prolly gonna need alot more wattage.

10. Thanks everyone!

I ended up adding a heat vent hole and attached a 4inch computer fan on the inside for outtake.

The temps were at 70 degrees, but they are now at about 90 degrees because I added 3 more CFL lights. Which makes a total of 4 CFL lights at 26watts each and the 14Watt LED light. Hopefully this will help my girls take off! I don't want the temp any higher than 90 for sure though lol

I don't want to purchase a huge wattage LED light bc they are way too expensive. I'll wait a few years until they are not the 'new' big thing and the prices will go down.

Anyway, how do you guys like my grow box? I built it from scratch just by looking at a picture of someone's grow box on here. It has two chambers one for veg and one for flower. I'm pretty proud of it. I just need to get the light situation/heat control down. I'm pretty sure it's taken care of now.

Oh, the sprouts have perked up and appear to be doing well btw.

Thanks for all of ya'lls advice! I'll be back, I'm sure LOL

Cheers!
    :smoke:

Attached Files: