What is being done to prepare for the next proposition?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by AdamM, Nov 30, 2010.

1. I know the last Prop 19 measure failed. Yes, it is sad.

But we need to start prepping the ground now for the next effort.

I don't live in California, so I don't know what is going on over there.

Are organizations and groups making an effort to inform the public of the
    harmlessness of cannabis? I sure hope so.

The people over there should be holding speeches and public forums and such.

If we just sit on our butts and wait, nothing will get done. We must be
    proactive in our efforts.

2. I think Jack Herer's bill will be coming up in 2012. It too will fail because it makes no compromises. Just one big pot free for all.

3. Whats Jack Herer's bill?

4. An initiative that passes will in my opinion
    A. Set up a state regulatory framework for taxation of growth and sales but allow counties to opt out of allowing commercial growth and sales and limit people to a small personal grow.
    B. Explicitly state that LEO's and employers can preform impairment based screening(sobriety, blood, saliva) on those they believe to be under the influence
    C. Set up an "open container" law similar to alcohol to discourage smoking while driving
    D. Set reasonable penalties for adults who provide marijuana to a minor, similar to alcohol.

5. This is exactly my question. What is being done to prepare the ground for
    the next proposition? Are the folks in California encouraging young activists to vote?

Are we indoctrinating more voters to our cause? We cannot sit idle if we expect this to pass.

We MUST be proactive. We must work to change the minds of those opposed to legalization
    by using logic and facts.

What is being done in regards to this?

6. ^ it's not so much the people that oppose and dont like weed, as the growers and the people they know... theres WAY too many to let legalization happen, a pass on prop 19 would ruin so many grower's businesses

7. Damn, that proposition has some balls. To me it seems like a fantasy, its the proposition that is in all of our minds and what we want. full legalization, and it even includes amnesty from previous marijuana related charges. Idk, as perfect as that sounds, that might be pushing it. No way are multiple judges and politicians and district attorneys going to admit they were wrong and vote or let this go quietly. There has to be some compromise. (i dont live in california, but like in any state we look to california as the pot central and hope whatever happens there trickles down to us. im from nyc.)

8. Discourage it in what way? If it comes in the form of tickets and/or jail time then I would rather it stay the way it is. You can get pulled over now while smoking and driving and you usually just get your weed taken and walk away -if you have less than an ounce.

9. Well it is the stated position of the powers that be in creating these petitions that smoking and driving is bad. While I agree that it is way less irresponsible than driving with a legal amount of alcohol in your system, to the general public, stoned drivers represent an equal risk on the road as drunks. I didn't give an ideal proposal from a marijuana users point of view, I just stated some points that i think would contribute to getting the 51% of votes needed.
    Personally I would trade having to smoke in the parking lot before I get in my car(I don't make a practice of stoned driving in general) and throwing my stash in the trunk, for being able to grow without having to get some ridiculous Doctor's Rec for an illness I don't have(no offense to people who have LEGITIMATE medical issues they treat with MJ). I think if you make a proposition as equally tough on stoned driving as the laws already are on drunk driving, it takes much of the legitimacy away from the anti-legalization argument that it would be a highway nightmare. All of the points I originally brought up were reactive to the arguments that people used to stop Prop 19.

10. Come on. Noone is making flyers to hand out?

Noone is trying to do television commercials?

If nothing is done to try to advance the cause, then
    this will fail.

11. Sorry to be a negative nancy here but if you are so enthusiastic about seeing things like this done, then why don't you be the one who gets proactive and starts handing out flyers and making commericals?

12. I would if I lived in California. But I live all the way on the East Coast.

Anyways, I have reason for my enthusiasm. If California legalizes cannabis, then
    that would be the first domino to fall across the United States, maybe even the world.

In a way, the rest of us all over the U.S. are counting on Californians to legalize. Once people see that it can be done properly, more states will follow.

This is why people who live in California need to be proactive and start working towards
    changing the attitudes of people who are against it.

13. Oh don't get me wrong, I'm with you on this one, but you don't really have to live in California to help. I mean, it makes it harder if you don't, but not impossible.

14. New strategy.
    Step 1: Everyone on GC move to Cali and get registered to vote
    Step 2: On the way to vote for the next proposition find 10 old people and tie them up so they can't vote.
    Step 3: pack your car with as many college students as possible and drive them to the poll

15. How about......

Step 4 : Everyone get a copy of "Granny Storm Crow's MMJ Reference List" and begin educating everyone, starting with themselves. (click the first link in my sig to preview the list) It's awful hard for even a staunch prohibitionist to argue with study after study from PubMed and medical journals! To get your free PDF copy, just send me an email. The email address is in my sig.

When I started using cannabis over 40 years ago, there was no such thing as medical cannabis. There was ZERO support for it since there wasn't even the concept of medical use back then. All use was considered abuse and an "unsmokable amount" could get you 10 years in jail- even in California! :eek: (run a search on "Timothy Leary 1968")

Now, 15 states and Washington DC have some form of MMJ. Recent polls show that 60%+ support the medical use of cannabis. The difference is time and education! We can shorten the time to full legalization by educating those around us!

Granny :wave: