What is a nut (in terms of fruit)?

Discussion in 'General' started by AK74, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Like almonds and cashews, those kinds of nuts....are they really fruits? they dont have seeds or flowers....are they the seeds of the plant? well you cant plant a nut and have it grow into a tree can you?

are they just a random growth on a tree???? what do you think?

2. #2 BlowTreeAllDay, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
    The nut is part of the fruit the plant produces

I think they contain the seed

Or the nut is the seed and the nut+covering=fruit

3. They are legumes.

4. Bigot. If they want to call themselves nuts, they have every right. I think nuts and legumes should be allowed to marry too. :D

5. lmfao.. hahah

omg i'm dying....

6. In the case of almonds, they grow from trees in a fruit that resembles something like a peach. If you remove the soft flesh, you will reveal a wooden husk, kind of like the stone of a peach. If you crack that open, you will have the fruit's seed, which is the "nut" that you can eat.

7. Wait, really?

That's kinda weird.

8. this is a cashew:

[​IMG]

you just got learned didnt you?

9. Yep just like walnuts. The soft (very pungent - lots of people like it but I love that shit for some reason) flesh encases the nut inside

[​IMG]

Interesting fact: black walnut trees are prized for their rich, chocolate-colored wood. Criminals actually trespass on peoples' properties, cut down and literally steal entire black walnut trees to sell for their expensive wood

[​IMG]

10. Isn't that cashew shell poisonous?

11. haha i looked at this shit high and its one fucked up looking plant. what is the red thing? and why does a random nut grow out of the bottom? is it literally the plants nut lol

12. This has happened to me before. :mad:

13. i have no idea

thats the cashew, it grows out of the bottom of the fruit. apparently it tastes like a green sour apple and very nutritious.

seen it on andrew zimmern

14. Wait... if vegetables dont have seeds then how do we keep making them??!?!?!

It's not my fault im dumb... I'm already dead!

15. i always refer to those old the more you know commercials and NOONE my age knows wtf i'm talking about:confused:

16. the red part tastes like green apple? where do they sell those ive never seen them before and want to try one lol

17. cashews are actually seeds, not nuts

18. i think it was an episode where he was in thailand or somewhere in the pacific islands.

they dont sell they anywhere but the the place they grow them because its highly perishable and would be almost impossible to ship outside the country.

19. Has anyone ever been near a Chinese Hawthorne tree? They smell so awful... Kind of like rotting or something. Anyway I saw some Asian people collecting them off the ground, an area I tend to make a wide birth around, and I was horrified at the thought of them eating them. Turns out they are cooked and eaten :eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a side note, these things were at one point coloured red with a carcinogenic food colouring agent.