Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What is a name, really?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Uookaa, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Hello, I'm just curious if anyone else out there thinks that strain names are creating too much of a hype in our community. I personally think it's fun, and enjoy named strains, especially when it is something you can recognize later, and put a label to, but it is starting to get kind of annoying. I pick up wonderful weed every time I pick up, and blow peoples' minds with no name strains quite frequently. However, lately people have started to always expect some crazy name from a strain, and when I tell people that my weed is just some good random kush, or chronic, whatever, they seem to be turned away from the weed.

In the past 3 days, I've had about 4 people ask what kind of weed I have, and then when I tell them they go "It doesn't even have a name? Must not be worth as much." I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty ridiculous. :p

Many, if not most, of my no name strains can easily compete with hyped up names from clinics, and I find it funny that people automatically think it's not as good due to lack of title. It's sad, but then again in most situations the name is half the price.

Thought I'd see if anyone feels the same.

*please note - I am not whining, or dissing names, nor do I mean for this thread/post to seem negative in any way. This is just what I have observed. :D

**note2 - I have a QP of some bomb no name kush from up north coming in today, pics will come. :)

2. I know what you mean, man. My best highs have been from unknown exotics, and I only really buy named strains at premium prices because I think it's interesting to compare different weed genetics.

3. Maybe smoke with more intelligent people

4. Yea, I'm right there with you. :D

Hahaha, well my group of friends that are, uhm.... I guess it's fair to say FRIEND friends know what's up. It's the acquaintances that seems to have a hard time understanding :p

5. a rose by any other name...

I agree in principle, but if stain names are accurate it can help alot knowing what type of high your buying. this is most true for those of use who are lucky enough to have dealers to regularly have more then 1 name brand strain.

6. Have a toke of my AK-47 and you wont remember your own name

7. ya...strains dont mean shit....thats y i tell my dealer when he tries to tell me...OH THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE IS DANK....WHITE WIDOW x AK47 x NORTHERN LIGHTS....and im like fuck you i aint payin 70 an e becuase it has a cool name...so he ends up sellin to me for 50 an e...strains are a bunch of bullshit to make weed more expensive. EVERY weed is a strain...it only matters how much love was put into the growing of the plant. thats what makes it potent. not some gay name.

8. #8 Uookaa, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
    Yea, as I said in the original post, I definitely find names fun and useful at times. I personally have had about 8 different named strains available to me at a time recently, and have found it helpful to stick to the bud I enjoyed the most. :p

I laughed. :)

Hahaha, I know what you mean, but I don't ENTIRELY agree. I just remember when I first started blazing I never ever ever heard names, just whether it was good or not. I think that the main reason names are becoming so popular and "important" is because of the clinics popping up all over the place. They have "the best of the best" strains and they apply a name to it so that you know what you want, and make it more of a shopping experience, rather than a "drug deal" :p

I find names helpful at times, I just don't like how people expect them now.