What is a grow tent for?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by katebtr, Mar 8, 2015.

1. I mean, if I had a smallish room to set aside for growing, would the be any need for a tent? I'm planning on taking clones, so a woman at a hydroponics store said to put a tarp up in the room with a zipper to separate it. Then I would probably get a good light for a couple weeks of veg and flowering on one side, and a cheaper light for clones and initial veg on the other. 

There is a chance that I will not have a room set aside for growing, in which case I guess my only option is to grow in my bedroom with a tent. Not quite sure how to do that then because I wouldn't have room for a 2nd tent for clones. Obviously not ideal. How noisy would a tent be that close to my bed, too?

Anyway, thanks for your input guys. I am a little uncertain as my living situation will be changing soon, and I have to figure that out first. 

2. Exactly what loki said.
    plants in flowering are very sensitive and need complete darkness (no light leaks) otherwise you may risk to reverse the plant to veg or stress it.
    The tent next to your bed will be noisy depending on how noisy your fans, lights and timer are. Fans are usually kept on 24 hours; maybe you can turn them off while the lights are off, but that would be only 6 hours for veg; and depending on your temperature, lights etc it may not be a good idea.
    generally  it will be hard to fall asleep with fans on next to you, even inside the tent. (personal experience).
    The timer can very annoying too (depending on type) with that constant "tick tick". 
    I've never used computer fans, maybe these can get really silent. 
    Also if you don't invest in a good quality tent, you ll have light leaks at some point.

3. If you can keep the room environment regulated (humidity, temps, dust), control the lighting, and keep pests out it is a better option as far as I am concerned.

The advantage of the tent is it has dust screens, is very portable, highly reflective of light, designed to have fans installed, easy to clean. Most have an inner lining to catch spilled water. In a room you will have to control leaks and spills so no to ruin the floor or the wood base along the walls.

Once you go into flowering you will have to decide how to control the smell. setting a filter and fan system work well in most tents by drawing in air passively (sucking it in) and then drawing the smelly air through the filter then through the fan to an exhaust hose. You can do this in a closet but it may take a little planning and work to get the hose set in a proper place to ventilate the room.