what if u dont tranplant??????

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by fr3sh, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Well as you've so kindly granted me permission, I shall beg to differ again... bonsai is something completely different and involves trimming both the roots and the tree itself to keep it a certain size.

What I'm talking about is root suppression. No samey samey.

2. LOL, sorry about that. basically it is the same. keeping rootmass small, keeps things above ground limited. the trimming of bonsai trees is done for aesthetics. if the trimming wasn't done, it wouldn't get too big....

3. well ma plants are in a huge pot its jus that its 4 plants in 1 pot thats all...and man are they looking very beautifully.....they have a citrus haze smell that i can smell once i get about 3 feet from the plants....man i need a gigi so i can show you guyz ma progress.....

4. Well I know for a fact that this is untrue of root suppression. I believe there is also a scientific explanation. The scientific explanation, I believe, is the cytokinin hormone. The cytokinin hormone is highly active in keeping roots to a minimum, while at the same time playing a major role in photosynthesis. Root suppression in cannabis seems to enhance this process much like any other environmental factor could instigate a higher level of hormones.

A bonsai tree is just the same as any other tree, if you do not prune it it will grow. The idea is after all to grow a miniature tree, who would want to grow a large tree in a small pot?

5. to get a large plant i.e. large yield, you need a large root-mass. the more you got going on underground will dictate what goes on above ground, period!

6. i threw 200 seeds into a tuba-wear container with miracle grow soil, and put 5-7 seeds in a pocket all over the soil. I only used water for the first week to let them germinate and grow. 96 plants sprouted up in the first 3 days, more followed in the following 3 weeks. I used some miracle grow quickstart and plant food a few times inbetween then. big mistake. around half started dieng, so i transplanted each individual plant into a party cup, 3/4 full of soil, regular reg beer cup at a party. 12 by 10 or so? I had 56 cups and 72 plants. Alot of them died cause the miracle grow killed them, but currently i have 52 healthy plants growing, 46 cups, sittin in my closet. Its been 1 month since i started growing, after the transplant, the survivors are healthy and growing fast, the leaves branching out to make more (im new at growing, dunno the "slang"?), its beautiful. a work of art. by nature. marijuana is wonderful. anyhoo. beer cups appear to be working fine, even with mutliple plants in them, at most i used was 4. maybe they might get bigger? cause theyre growing faster n healthyer then before xD

7. Root bound plants will suffer through nutrient lock up. the nutrient lock up is what gives you the brown tipped leaves as the plant starts to take energy/chlorophyl from the foliage beacuse it has an inadequate source of nutrients in its root sytem.

The size of your yield is most definately directly correlated to the health of your root system. By having multiple plants in one pot you will have a tangled mess of roots and insufficient amount of nutrients for all of the plants in the pot so some will stay relatively healthy, most will be sick all of the time stunting growth and flower development, and none of them will thrive under those conditions. Transplanting is very important for many reasons. One being they get a fresh batch of soil to use increasing drainage thus providing the roots with much needed oxygen.

So basically to sum it up, you messed up this time due to a lack of research prior to diving in to a project that you have no knowledge on. You have had some decent advice on this thread but for the most part those of you that believe yield is solely dependant on the amount of time veggin, the intensity of your light, and especially your feeding regiment, you're sadly mistaken. If you keep feeding a root bound plant you will ultimately kill it or make it very sick. Since its nute locked the more nutes you saturate in there the more nute burn will be prevelant.

My advice is simple... buy a good grow book and read it. Not being a prike, trust me I just want to help but the $30 investment will save you hundreds in lost soil, nutes, water, seeds, light energy, time wasted, etc. Other option would be to keep asking questions on here and hope you actually get somebody who is experienced answering them instead of someone pretending that they know what they are talking about.

8. There we go... this guy's got the idea!!

9. Yes, yes, an undernuted plant will draw the chlorophylls from the leaves... this is assuming that there is such a thing as root bound. Take a look at this link... http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=root+development+v+plant+growth&meta= you'll need to select the top link, should take you to the rollitup forum.

Really? Well I very recently grew 10 plants in an 18litre container from clone they were vegged for 7 days and netted me half a nine. They were also flowered under a 300w UV bulb alongside other bigger plants in 500ml pots that i favoured more for the light.

And my advice to you my friend is to stop reading the books and concentrate on growing... this information I have so gracefully shared does not come from a book but from my own experiences. Which book are you suggesting I read? a dithering cervantes, maybe? or how about a senile rosenthal?

10. All growers who know what they are doing will tell you - just ONE plant to a pot. Too many plants you will get cramped roots, and THE BIGGER THE ROOTS THE BIGGER THE SHOOTS.

11. so because it rhymes this adds more weight to the comment, somehow? lol

12. Hello Shiva,

Jorge Cervantes (could be spelled wrong?) is the most accliamed grower in the world. Yup I would recommend reading his book... Rosenthal too; I mean anybody who has a PHD in horticultural science I would listen to (how a man in his 50s is senile is beyond me, not sure where you came up with that one)

I do agree that personal experience outweigh's the knowledge aspect. This same philosophy may be used to explain why MBAs fail so often when managing a business because they are full of book knowledge and analytical skills without any real business experience. While I haven't looked at the link you provided; I would like to point out that forums are not a valid creditable source of information. Saying that the term "rootbound" is erroneous is on the slight ignorrant side there my friend.

I am sensing a troll here and while I usually do not feed the trolls I will this time. Have you ever seen a root ball before? You know when you transplant a plant that is rootbound... Now when you give it a bigger pot does it not shoot back up and grow another few inches in a 24-48 hour period? So you would beleive that if you were to leave that plant rootbound it would yield the same as the larger plant that was transplanted... come on bro, we're talkin' common sense here!

13. Click the link and you'll see just a little of what i am talking about... skunk (the guy that did the original experiment is a friend of mine... and runs the forum you see in my sig').

Which book of Cervantes would you recommend reading? He changes his mind in each book he writes.

Rosenthal, I assume he is senile after his very recent assertion that blue light is useless for growing cannabis in any stage. This is completely wrong.

As stated, my experiences are exactly that... the link in the forum will take you to the guy that started it all... so you can get an idea of what i mean.

I have vegetated a seed plant for 6 weeks and given it a 9 week flower all in a container 1/8th of a gallon. I have shared pots with plants with no ill effects. Indeed the only time i had a problem sharing was in DWC. I vegged 3 plants for 12 days from clone in an 18litre container DWC, and at the mid-flower point one plant from each container (as i was running 2 18litre res's with 3 plants each) was strangled by the other 2. Yet in the same containers, after drilling in holes and filling it with a coco perlite mix held 10 clone plants that were vegetated for 7 days and flowered fully with no harm to any plants. In fact it grew so it seemed to be one huge plant with 10 heads.

I realise my approach may be a little brash... but you need to understand that i am talking from my own experience and not something i read in a book. I am running a new experiment/investigation now, and am going to be attempting to do a full grow in a 1x1x1" rockwool cube.

14. Okay I took a look at the link. I have read through about 1/3 of it so far and it is quite interesting. Though you will never be able to convince me that it is not possible to have a rootbound plant; I may be convinced that a rootbound plant can still yield a reasonable amount providing it's feeding needs are met.Unfortunately I cannot see the pics because I am not a member of rolltip... I'll continue to read the thread and get back to you later.Peace

15. Thankyou...

it's nice to see that you have realised that the definition of rootbound needs to be, in the very least, clarified.