What if the material world stopped evolving

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Novek, May 14, 2010.

1. Example, no new cars we made, no new Iphones, blackberry or other such devices were refined, no sort of innovations to anything, etc. Everything we have now would be the same from here on out.

My question is, would it be a bad thing? I know some people would say that we would get bored and turn into zombies or that the human spirit isn't made to stagnate, but i've been doing some thinking and just wondered if it would be such a bad idea( though it would never happen).

One benefit that would come of it is that I think it would eliminate the rat race we have going on in the world. People stepping on other people just to get some status in life or in pursuit of pointless material objects. I think that if we knew that this was how it was going to be forever, I think we would start focusing on more important things in life, namely family, and we would probably get back into nature on a larger scale. We would also be more inclined to help our fellow man and really bring back that sense of community.

Like really do we need the IPAD or Facebook 2.0?

2. You mean rip the illusion society has created from the grasps of the money/power hungry people that rule the world? I'm
    right in front of you

3. Well said both of You.

4. I'm definitely hearin you dude.

I rely on technology like everybody (or seemingly everybody) else does. Now I'm not all crazy with those conspiracy theories, but sometimes when I'm getting bombarded with text messages, phone calls, facebook messages, tv commercials, the radio.. I feel like there has got to be something wrong with all this. What ever happened to knocking on somebodys door or talking to them face to face? I feel as though technology is making people spend less time together, and more time plugged into something else. It's only a matter of time before somebody invents some gadget that shits for you.
    The only problem with this is that alot of people would be totally stoked about that.

Sometimes I go through phases where I just don't want to deal with it, and I turn off my cell phone for a few months and stop watching tv. It's crazy the things you can do when you're not plugged in.

5. I know exactly what you mean. I haven't done that in awhile. It takes alot of will power in todays world. Givng up all this technology that has come like second nature to us. Look at how easy it is to get information via the internet. I don't see any need to go to the library any more other than to find a quite place to relax or do homework. Crazy

6. When I hear people say something along the lines of "well, if people didn't do enough in life then you wouldn't have the technology we currently have"

And I sit there thinking, should we even have what we have? Humans cannot control themselves, our planet is based on improving war tools. From WW2 we've created massive increases in technology......all from the motivation of killing other humans. The first video game was created from one of the guys who helped construct the Atomic Bomb.

Maybe we're better off living how we lived hundreds of years ago. But then again, there was still war back then just as much as there is now. So either way we're just fucked. You can try to live a peaceful life in a cabin in the woods in the middle of nowhere, but you're still aware of what other humans are doing to your own species.