what if psychosis is enlightenment?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by DDV, Nov 1, 2012.

1. And the reality in an affected individual is the TRUE reality. They aren't sick, they are just "awake"

Hence why marijuana and other psychedelics have been known to trigger psychosis..

And possibly, beings like the Buddha or Jesus Christ had psychosis?

2. interesting concept. it might have more weight depending on how similar affected peoples' behavior was.

3. What kind of psychosis are you reffering to?

4. [quote name='"McTroll"']What kind of psychosis are you reffering to?[/quote]

What do you mean?

5. I read a book -am i losing my mind or getting enlightened-...frankly it was mostly about mental illness. Many think jesus was schizofrenic..heard voices and thought he was the son of god. Watch terrence mckennas video on utube about schizofrenia. Schizofrenics see the world in a divergent way...in eastern society they were considered shamans. In western society looked down upon. The key to enlightenment is dissolving the ego i believe which explains why marijuana causes an individual to be more enlightened...not sure how that relates to psychosis though...

6. [quote name='"DreamAwake"']I read a book -am i losing my mind or getting enlightened-...frankly it was mostly about mental illness. Many think jesus was schizofrenic..heard voices and thought he was the son of god. Watch terrence mckennas video on utube about schizofrenia. Schizofrenics see the world in a divergent way...in eastern society they were considered shamans. In western society looked down upon. The key to enlightenment is dissolving the ego i believe which explains why marijuana causes an individual to be more enlightened...not sure how that relates to psychosis though...[/quote]

I was actually thinking schizophrenia, but I thought psychosis would make more sense

7. [quote name='"ddoublevision"']

I was actually thinking schizophrenia, but I thought psychosis would make more sense[/quote]

Im with you im just not sure why a schizofrenics ego would be more dissolved than others unless they made a conscious effort to do so or used psychadelics.

8. My schizophrenia is certainly not enlightenment. It's a torment.

Maybe somebody else's psychosis is enlightenment, but not mine.

9. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']My schizophrenia is certainly not enlightenment. It's a torment.

Maybe somebody else's psychosis is enlightenment, but not mine.[/quote]

I had a feeling you would show :p

Thats the reason why I said psychosis. Schizophrenia seems like something much more negative than psychosis.

10. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']My schizophrenia is certainly not enlightenment. It's a torment.

Maybe somebody else's psychosis is enlightenment, but not mine.[/quote]

Maybe reaching enlightenment can help your schizofrenia to be more manageable and some schizofrenics subconsciously aim for enlightenment to help deal with the illness. A thought i just had :p

11. [quote name='"ddoublevision"']

I had a feeling you would show :p

Thats the reason why I said psychosis. Schizophrenia seems like something much more negative than psychosis.[/quote]

There's a large, I guess movement you could call it, of schizophrenics who eschew treatment because they view their illness as enlightenment. The other paranoid schizo here, Messiah Decoy, views his illness like that.

My schizophrenia is so bad that eschewing treatment means I can't have an independent life. I need medication and counseling to live alone, to hold down a job, to drive a car and be a fully functioning adult.

I wish I could see it another way, but it has caused me, and my family, so much pain that I can't understand those who are able to see it in such a positive light. That's not to say I'd get rid of my schizophrenia, cuz I wouldn't... But I definitely can't ignore it.

I can say that it's a source of enlightenment for me, but definitely not an enlightened state.

That was probably more than you wanted to hear, and I'm not entirely sure I added anything to the discussion :p

12. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']

There's a large, I guess movement you could call it, of schizophrenics who eschew treatment because they view their illness as enlightenment. The other paranoid schizo here, Messiah Decoy, views his illness like that.

My schizophrenia is so bad that eschewing treatment means I can't have an independent life. I need medication and counseling to live alone, to hold down a job, to drive a car and be a fully functioning adult.

I wish I could see it another way, but it has caused me, and my family, so much pain that I can't understand those who are able to see it in such a positive light. That's not to say I'd get rid of my schizophrenia, cuz I wouldn't... But I definitely can't ignore it.

I can say that it's a source of enlightenment for me, but definitely not an enlightened state.

That was probably more than you wanted to hear, and I'm not entirely sure I added anything to the discussion :p[/quote]

Hm interesting. I read somewhere that schizophrenia is very common among shamans (native americans, russian, etc.) and not everything they experience is positive. There are alot of negative entities they encounter as well as positive ones. Maybe its possible to overcome the negatives somehow to reach a more positive state of mind?

Not really what im getting at here, but its just something to think about..

13. [quote name='"ddoublevision"']

Hm interesting. I read somewhere that schizophrenia is very common among shamans (native americans, russian, etc.) and not everything they experience is positive. There are alot of negative entities they encounter as well as positive ones. Maybe its possible to overcome the negatives somehow to reach a more positive state of mind?

Not really what im getting at here, but its just something to think about..[/quote]

Yes, what you said about shamans is certainly true. It's part of the reason I began practicing syncretic shamanism over 10 years ago.

There have been some people who have overcome their schizophrenia. Most notably John Nash, who had a particularly awful case. I'm working towards that, but I feel like I have a very long way to go.

14. I've thought about this before.

Pretty bizarre concepts I've come up with.

15. This is interesting to me. Psychedelics can cause derealization and ego loss and lead to ego death. Since it is categorized as a psychedelic, it could be possible?

Its like the more you do it the more you lose your mind but you get different perspectives and ideas, some which are not good and some which are amazing.

I wonder if this is leading to enlightenment since loss of ego is the "enlightenment." But it could be disregarded as schizophrenia in modern society when in ancient society it was regarded as spiritual, etc. Weird to think about

16. [quote name='"ddoublevision"']

What do you mean?[/quote]

Ignore my previous post, and to reffer back to the question I believe that the level of human consciousness that we deem to be 'normal' and 'healthy' at the moment is disgraceful. People like george bush would be quick to condem someone who society deems 'disabled' when as a matter of fact the mind of someone like george bush is probably one of the most twisted and evil.

We live in a fucking strange world man. Believe nothing you see on the news, open your heart and most importantly love yourself and nothing will go wrong.

Peace :smoke:

17. i actually thought of this last night. lately i've been feeling like the world is all in my head, kinda disillusioned, even though i don't believe it. it's called solipsism syndrome i think. but i thought to myself, who is to say what state reality actually is? maybe some people in mental asylums are so awaken to the real world that they're kept in there for a different reason

but most of them are pretty fucked up in the head...

18. If it psychosis lead to a stronger shared reality ,then it seems plausible , but since that's not the case I doubt it's enlightenment , unless you go down a solipsistic route.

Because if lets say shizo leads to enlightenment , why do the many "enlightened" folks seem to see completely different things? Why would they vary so much?

19. [quote name='"jayfoxpox"']If it psychosis lead to a stronger shared reality ,then it seems plausible , but since that's not the case I doubt it's enlightenment , unless you go down a solipsistic route.

Because if lets say shizo leads to enlightenment , why do the many "enlightened" folks seem to see completely different things? Why would they vary so much?[/quote]

Who is to say enlightenment or liberation is the same for every individual? Nowhere does it say that, not even in Hindu or Buddhist scriptures.

Maybe enlightenment is different for everyone..

20. #20 The Audion, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2012
    This doesn't make any sense to me. Which is weird because I've actually questioned at times whether or not I'm schizo or psychotic. But I don't hallucinate, or have delusions (ie I don't believe people are controlling my thoughts or anything similar) I just worry a lot, feel sad, overly nostalgic, and feel a lot of tension in my muscles (urge to move them)
    sorry I'm making this about me but its been on my mind.
    If psychosis is enlightenment then I think most would rather be ignorant.

:confused:

I think its pretty black and white. If someones mental illness becomes severe enough that they're a danger to themselves and others, something needs to be done. If they can't function, they need help. how is that condemnation?