What If All Drugs Were Legal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Nope, I'm a realist, I look at facts, recall experiences, and then make calculated assumptions based on them.

And I can think of lots of people that have. Well actually that's not entirely true, I don't know anyone thats smoked PCP, I'm sure if it was legal is Aus, and easier to get hold of, the chances of seeing people effected by it would increase.
    I've witnessed indiscriminate "Roid rage", and seen people smashed by Meth addicts at parties for no apparent reason.

Please don't introduce fallacy's when your quoting me, I don't state that steroids, pcp and meth should remain outlawed in RMJL's hypothetical, i merely pointed out that not all drugs are used for "relaxing', or used for spiritual reasons.
    some drugs are sought out because they Empower the user, offering strength, or reassurance to a user that isn't confident in their current abilities.

I didn't introduce those assumptions, you did.

The reason i implied a Meth/pcp/steriod user would attack someone in public, is because Riod rage + Meth Psychosis + PCP Unlimited strength is so unbelievably scary, that it is a great polar extreme for the "Legal drugs" pros and cons argument.
    In a Pot Forum, the typical responses will be "yes Pot should be legal, because its hurting no one" and " I shouldn't be victimized for using a medical/spiritual drug". While both of these examples may be truths, they wont cover the full extent of effects that would happen in the hypothetical "What if ALL drugs are made legal".

And no i don't fear sober people, i do however exercise situational awareness, and assess threats as they present themselves. This is not based on weather i think someone is sober or not, because i know that anyone can be a danger, especially people that are acting irrationally in public, or that are obviously stressed or under pressure.

I consider people on Meth and Steroids far more volatile than sober people, from person experiences.

To answer your straw man argument: No i don't think being sober should be illegal, but i do believe that decapitating people on a bus should be illegal, whether the attacker is sober or not.

Meth is given to Air Force Pilots because it increases their reaction times (GO Pills), it is not given to them because it will "fuck them up" and impair their motor functions.
    Steroids don't impair motor function, they just provide faster muscle repair times, allowing for more muscle mass to be stacked on in a shorter amount of time.

I am a drug prohibitionist, or at least taking the stance of one in this argument, to help create a balanced discussion.

To summerize:
    People choose to take Illegal drugs whether they have "Positive" or "Negative" effects, if all drugs were made Legal, then all members of the public could choose the drugs they want to use, whether those drugs create good social interaction, or bad social interaction.

I value society, and value my safety. I would prefer to live in the safest society possible, so I support Governments that Introduce Bills and laws that create a safer society for me to live in.

Yes, use brains, and argue your points without using rhetoric, and relying on fallacies to mislead other readers and missrepresent the people your responding too; diverting from the legitimate concerns raised.
    Its very easy to do, and at the end of the debate real solutions and truths can be found.

2. sorry if someone else said what im about to because i didnt feel like going through reading eveyones post haha...

if drugs were legal, a lot more jobs would open up to people for producing or growing drugs.

the economy would sky rocket racking in a lot more money

alot of innocent people wouldnt have to deal with violent and dangerous people

... the list can go on foreverrrrrrr man

3. All the drug war has ever been is one big scheme based off of racism, fear, and ignorance in order to waste tax payer money (when you waste more, you get to tax more, YOU GET MORE CONTROL).

Lets end the bullshit

4. Very nice article, too bad that will never happen.

5. Source? Raise your hand if you only abstain from PCP for legal reasons please.
    In line with your own logic, I believe smashing people should be illegal, regardless of the state they are in.

Not only are all three of your examples common experiences of alcohol, but your mentioning them implies there is some sort of schedule of tolerable/acceptable experiences, and these aren't on it. Kinda sounds like you're forcing your opinion on everyone else. If I want to feel relaxed and take certain actions to ensure this, how is it inherently better than wanting to feel a rush of energy or strength and then taking those actions?

Yes, that would be scary. One good thing that came from our current stance on drugs (gasp!) is that our police are probably better able to handle steroid using meth heads on PCP than it would've been had they been legal. Thankfully, following decriminalization, our police force will retain the knowledge and ability to handle these situations, like they already do.

Again, legalizing/decriminalizing only makes possession/sale/manufacture legal, or perhaps even just possession. Theft, undue violence and the rest will remain illegal.

What happens if someone gets all good and drugged up and attacks someone; most commonly that person is headed to jail. This is completely independent of the state that person is in or the cause of said state.

Great. Decriminalization of all drugs would allow everyone to act this way instead of mislabeling potheads or heroin addicts looking to get clean.

Indeed. Their state should remain outside of the viewpoint on that person, especially if the state was chosen/self inflicted.
    Good, we need to exchange ideas, not just be dominated by one. That's never gotten us anywhere.

Well, to summarize:
    People who are going to use drugs are going to use them whether they are legal or not. We all know at least as a fact that Heroin is bad for us. If we choose to dabble anyway, that's our choice as it is our body, not yours or the government's. Drug use will likely go down, especially if coupled with more availability to treatment, like in Portugal.

I value society and my safety as well, but I would prefer to live in a society where we are truly free. If I'm not allowed control over my own mind and body, how can I be free in ANY respect?

One additional comment on this in particular:
    Safety is an illusion, and the government has proven it's inability to take care of our rights when placed under their care (PATRIOT ACT, et al.). I support governments that leave our rights and responsibilities intact.
    100% agree, sir.

All in all, I find it funny that because you're (rightfully) scared of Steroid/Meth/PCP addicts, you're willing to completely throw away the constitution. Especially since (before your argument) it has been proven that decriminalization results in, at worse, NO CHANGE in drug use, or more realistically, a net reduction in drug use.

Your only argument is that something terrible MIGHT happen. Because of this you're willing to give up on:

• Personal freedom
    • Lower incarceration rates
    • Lower rates of drug use among children (and in general)
    • Billions of dollars saved from incarceration
    • Thousands of people finding quality treatment for addiction
    • Access to law enforcement, employment and healthcare to those who choose to use drugs (inc. marijuana)
    This seems like a TERRIBLE fucking bet to be making. Especially when we're already equipped to handle this horrible horrible possibility. But then again, that's just my opinion.

6. OH BUT... THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laughing:

7. Yea, if it was legal, it'd be harder for the children to get. So legalize 'em.

8. #28 ArgoSG, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2009
    I didn't read the first page, but in Cannabis legalization discussions, there are always these just miserably ignorant fuckwits who smoke Cannabis themselves, want it legalized, but say things like "Oh I think Cannabis should be legal and Alcohol should be the illegal substance!"

You're a tool that apparently hasn't followed the history of Alcohol prohibition, which led to a horrible comedy of increased drinking, increased corruption, and increased violence. Or there's the fuckwit who says something along the lines of:

"Cannabis should be legal, because it's a plant. However, MDMA should be illegal, it requires synthesis."

These royal assholes seem to have failed profoundly in learning from our inhuman cannabis laws, that telling someone they can't put whatever the hell they like in their body, violates philosophies of humanism that have been existant for centuries. The United States' Declaration of Independence lists life, liberty, and the pursuit of all happiness as unalienable rights of man. That is a fairly explicit and fairly liberal philosophy. These ignorant, self righteous assholes, don't even fucking know what free means when a majority of them live in the USA. If you're not harming others, you should be free to do anything you want, including smoking naturally occurring plants in the privacy of your own home, without the fear of men with guns kicking down your door and dragging you to prison. That is state-run social terrorism, it's fucking barbaric, and it sickens me that people on this forum would seriously represent the opinion that OTHER TAX PAYING CITIZENS should not be allowed to do something that has no meaningful effect on them. Fuck off and move to North Korea. /angry rant

9. Maybe faster than you think...
    Only on FOX 6: High Heels - WITI

10. Do you mean for medical purposes like with a doctors prescription or for whoever wanted to get high could buy as much heroin as they wanted at CVS? some substances don't have any medical value so i don't know what problems legalizing h and crack would help. If marijuana was legalized people would use less H and other harder drugs, that has been demonstrated in Amsterdam. I'll bet money that if you legalize harder drugs that have no medical value, use would increase, i don't know any numbers on this because it's never been tried before in modern times but, i have a feeling it would. I honestly think the cons out way the pros in legalizing harder drugs. And thinking about what another poster said about it making more jobs, yes it would but how would they market addictive drugs? I'm sure you could said nicotine is an addictive drug, and it is but, h is a bit more deadly and crack and pcp are much more intoxicating. Like could you see an ad for pcp or steroids in magazines or on TV saying get strong quick! or something like that? Were should we draw the line, who gets the profit from all of this drug money taken out of the black market. Also, DUI's would increase, i understand they would make it illegal but, as we all know laws don't work all that well. I understand that its costing taxpayer money to punish drug users and dealers but, it would be worse if it were legal. Just my 2 cents

11. The latter would be preferable.

It's not about fixing problems. As adults, we have a right to use whatever drugs we want. We're tired of the state standing in the way of freedom.

It has been tried. All drugs were legal at some point in the US.

What cons?

Cigarettes kill over 400,000 people a year. Not saying it's more dangerous the heroin, but cigarettes aren't one of your "good" drugs.

Why do we need to draw a line? Why do you want the government to control drugs? Embrace freedom.

Why would DUI's increase? Driving high is already against the law.

12. People would have the balls to drive high more often if it were legal. I never said nicotine was a good drug but heroin is alottt easier to od on. Drunk people are very very dangerous, people on pcp are even more so, I think it is very risky to let anyone pick up any kind of drug without knowing there past record or something like that. What if a very violent person took steroids and alcohol, or a sex offender with e, i dont want to be in a room or a public area with them. I know they could do this with the laws already in place but making them legal just increase the risk factors for cases like that even though an understandably small demographic.

13. haha, Touche.

Increases what risk factors? There is the same risk of someone going nuts on PCP in public when it's illegal as when it's legal. Do you really think people who want to do PCP care whether it's legal?

Keeping drugs illegal doesn't make them go away. It turns what should be a medical issue into a law enforcement issue.

14. theoritical having all drugs legal and having full personal freedom to do whatever you want to your own body would be a utopia but you are to much of a risk to other peoples safety. Some drugs should stay illegal for this reason.

15. I guess I don't really care about other people's safety. It's their job to watch out for them and it's my job to watch out for me.

16. The main goal for a goverment is to keep it's citizens safe. I'll talk to you later man peace

17. Well, I'm an anarchist and I don't think we really need a state to keep us safe.:wave:

18. In an all drugs legal world MDMA, LSD and other sythetic chemicals should be regulated more tightly than cannabis in my opinion since errors in the sythesis can result in toxic and therefore deadly products. You should have to get a license by demonstrating your proficiency at creating such compounds.

19. If you can make LSD, you should be allowed to make it. If someone wants to buy your LSD, they should be able to buy it. Screw government licenses and regulation.

20. EDINBURG, Texas (AP) - A police department's gift of fruit to a Texas prison turned out to contain 25 pounds of marijuana.
    The illegal harvest that was missed in an earlier search was discovered by inmates at the Segovia Unit unpacking the crate.
    Edinburg police Chief Ruirino Munoz said the fruit originally came from a produce truck that also had about 1,000 pounds of pot that was confiscated.
    Loads of legitimate produce that are found to have yielded drugs are often barred from being sent on to the intended location.
    Munoz said the Segovia Unit near Edinburg accepts such food donations, which are inspected by police before being sent to the prison. Munoz said this time the additional marijuana apparently was missed by officers and drug-sniffing dogs.
    Prison spokesman Jason Clark said inmates who reported finding the drug on Friday were strip searched to make sure nobody kept any of the marijuana.