What I Think

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Mindgnome, Jul 9, 2008.

1. We, as humans, don't know anything about the universe at large. Religion cannot explain it, nor can language, science can't explain it either. We don't know how anything truly works. Everything that ever was, was invented by humans. Language, science, and religion. How can we say that we know whats going on in the universe? This is a very arrogant thing to say. We have a little rock that orbits the sun, and we are in the middle of this thing that is so big the mind can't even begin to comprehend it's size. We just have labels for the things in nature, and that is all we have. We have our own individual mind, body, and spirit, but those are just labels. What are they truly? Me explaining this is extremely difficult, because I know that religion gets in the way of being able to think with this state of mind. What is math; 2 plus 2 equals 4? Those are just words and symbols that were invented by people. It is pointless to believe anything, because we know nothing. It is my belief that the object of life is to discover the real meaning of the universe, and why we are here. Maybe it was caused by a star collapsing in another universe or maybe the earth was actually created in seven days, but how do we know for sure?

2. It is called reproducible evidense. That is how we can say evolution is a fact, the Earth is some 4.5bn y/o, our universe is some 13.7bn y/o and started with what we like to call the Big Bang.

And we can say that with such a degree of certainty that in common language, it is facts. All because of evidense. But in understanding it all, we've just gotten started. Still much to be researched. And in the end, we might not even be able to answer the big questions. But we don't know that yet.

You can contrast this to say religion, that demands one believe all kinds of stuff, on no evidense, but that it have been personally revealed to someone and later written down. And as if that is not enough, religion claims it got the answers to the big questions, but what they are really doing is confusing that which we don't know yet, cannot know yet, with god(s). A fine tradition religions have practiced since they were invented. And as our knowledge grows, god(s) get smaller.

3. Or, perhaps they get bigger? After all, the more marvels that science tries to understand, the greater insight we have into the brilliant complexity and inner workings of our existence, at least as it relates to ourselves. Repetition of experience through holding constant various aspects in a control scheme does not accurately represent uncontrolled reality. We might be measuring our ego, for all we know. ;)

By the way, hey Zylark. :)