What I think of Death

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by king cop, Jun 12, 2011.

1. I sometimes find myself thinking about death a lot.

I believe heaven and hell is bullshit made up by people because it sounds nice and motivates people to be good.

The idea that some people have of heaven actually seems pretty depressing. That were just the same people we were on earth walking around on clouds, chillin and hangin out. I don't think being dead is ANYTHING similar to life at all. When you die, your brain dies also. Your brain IS you. Your personality, memories, wisdom, thoughts, emotions, and moods are lost when you die. I think death is like nothing our brains can comprehend.

I think if we have any kind of consciousness when we are dead, I think it will be very different. No human emotions such as happiness, sadness, boredom, or fear will exist. Concepts of this life won't exit such as movement, position, communication, size, and the ideas of more, less,true,false, etc.

Sometimes I get depressed thinking of death but I have come up with some comforting thoughts about it.
    One, Dying is the most natural thing you can do and it is meant to happen,
    Two, although it seems that you die alone, you are in good company because everyone and everything living dies, the people you hate, love, and envy are all joining you.
    Third, although you don't know what being dead is like, you have already been dead before for MUCH longer than you have been alive. You have been dead since the beginning of history, until the day you were born. During all the shit you read about in history books, Rome, Medieval ages, Revolutionary war, etc. At those moments in time, while people were living just as they do now, you were dead.

Those are just some of my thoughts and ideas on death.

2. i dig i dig

3. I think its not that you were dead all that time. Its that you weren't alive all that time.

4. yeah, i interpreted him saying that to basically mean that pre-life and post-life are the same thing

5. yeah, I think heaven was made up by people that were depressed about dying so they thought up something that would sound good about death.

Personally I don't think much happens once you are dead. I mean i can think of tons of theories but in reality none are going to come true. I do hope if reincarnation was real I would want to be reincarnated into an alternate universe with super powers. I want to be some super-something or in a place where technology is way beyond ours on earth. Maybe something star wars-ish.

6. Personally, I think that we will NEVER know what happens after we die. That's a boundry nature has set upon us, and to think we know what happens after this life is just arrogent. But w/e makes you happy in this life should be good enough, my brain just can't comprehend HOW people believe in a conscious God. . .

7. heaven and hell do exist as planes of existance. they arent linked to any kind of religion though. if you can project out of your body, you may be able to visit these planes. (keep in mind that these planes aren't the only ones)

now, death is a beautiful thing. its a transition, just like everything else in this multi-verse. energy cannot be destroyed, only transformed into something else. and if you go down far enough into everything, all it is, is energy. you only think of the physical body, not the subtle bodies. even then, when you die, you feed the ecosystem and allow more growth to occur.

8. Whether RICH or POOR.......Death is the "GREAT EQUALIZER" :D

9. "the dead are conscious of nothing" (Ecclesasties 9:5)

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:26)
    (Jesus said this, the man who allows for humans to get into heaven)

Ask yourself; do the people who believe in heaven really follow the bible?

10. Watch the fountain.

11. death iz peace

12. Agreed.

I think being depressed about death only proves how selfish we are and how much we treasure our lives. I use to be the same way for a very long time, but now not so much because I'm curious to see what happens next.

Stephen Hawking said something in a recent article (I forget which one) that sums up my current attitude towards death.

I think it's "It's not so much I'm afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry die."