What home stereo equipment do you have?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by ramone&emiglio, Nov 7, 2010.

1. What's up blades, I thought I'd start this thread to talk about home stereo's and speakers.
    I recently came across a Pioneer SX-828 receiver in mint condition, released in 1973. Its hooked up to two polk audio RT-iA1 speakers. Sounds beautiful :) :smoke:

discuss

2. [​IMG]

They are the best headphones EVAR.

If they ever break, I am screwed. My dad got me these and said not to expect a birthday gift for like a decade haha.

They are so boss.

3. any other audiophiles here?!

4. i have this

Attached Files:

5. im not anywhere near audiophile equipment right now, but im just beginning to get into it. im looking into getting a debut III turntable when i get the money, but otherwise theres nothing to write home about in terms of audiophile sterio equipment. i have a basic yamaha surround system with some front speakers i got from my dad... not sure what they are and a really crappy turntable/cd player haha... and a pair of bose noise cancelling headphones.

6. I got 2 KEK rokit5 monitors, and a lasonic trc 931 from 1985

i wish i had a tube pre amp for my music

7. Glad you started this thread....too bad I didn't spot it right away. I've been wanting to hunt down the other Grass City audiophiles for quite some time now....just haven't gotten around to it yet.

What's the status of the Pioneer SX-828 receiver you came across? 1973 eh?.....that must be pretty sweet!~What does it have for power and did you purchase it? With the Polk speakers.....must be a real nice sounding setup especially if it's all mint like you said. I would love to have an older Pioneer system like that again someday....made the mistake of selling mine years ago.....huge mistake. I've since replaced it with a higher end system but I still miss the Pioneer amp/receiver really bad! I loved the dual channel LED power meters it had.....used to sit there.....listen to the great sound and watch the meters for hours...I was just a punk High school kid at the time.

What I had was a Pioneer SX-3800 receiver (released in 1980), a pair of home built speakers (12" drivers with ducted port bass), Bose bookshelf 301 speakers stacked on top, Harman Kardon tape deck and JVC turntable. I also made some speaker stands for my homebuilt cabinets which really made a big difference in the overall sound.....got rid of some nasty vibrations and rattles and got the sound up higher for better clarity. It really did sound pretty nice for an inexpensive setup. Sounded great until I blew out the midrange drivers in my homebuilts.......:D

The Amp was rated at 60 watts per channel and I remember the first time I turned it up. I got that huge thrill you get up and down your spine when you know you made a good choice in equipment.....plus I had it setup in a tiny little bedroom upstairs so it was pretty friggin loud and I was really in love with it....;) At 60 watts per channel.....I really thought I had more power than I ever would know what to do with......haha.....of course I was wrong about that......:smoke:

8. Wow that sounds like an impressive set up! I have fallen in love with the pioneer sx-828. It was a gift from my father who used this through his college years and treated it like a baby. It is also rated at 60 wpc, and I definitely understand what you mean when you mention the chill going down your spine!
    Since starting this thread I have added an audio technica turntable so I can listen to all my vinyls and theres definitely nothing like it. The sound is amazing. Not trying to sound like I am bragging, I just love high fidelity systems and pure quality sound.

The speakers sound great but with several channels I am looking to add more even more to broaden the sound range.

Lately I've been playing a lot of steely dan, santana, miles davis (bitches brew, kind of blue) , john coltrane ( a love supreme) , and of course my all time favorite album, Animals by Pink Floyd

Id love to hear more about your history with audio equipment!

and anyone else! this is the kind of stuff I live for

9. Senheisser HD-555 headphones (love em)

Plug into 500 watt Pioneer AV reciever which is hooked up to computer with optical cable.

Big cerwin vega E-315 home theatre speakers.

10. My next pair of headphones are definitely going to be Senheisser.....had a pair years ago but somehow they were damaged and then they mysteriously disappeared.

Yeah....that's a nice configuration having your PC connected to the Pioneer like that, gives you tons of play options with your music library and it's great having the ability to setup all kinds of cool playlists. I actually do something similar with a laptop.

Oh sweet.....being it's a gift from your father and he probably listened to it for many hours, definitely adds to the nostalgia and sacredness of the system and how it is appreciated.

I don't care what anybody says, an audiophile has a deep connection and relationship with their system. The history of the equipment, where it came from, and how it was played on what particular occasions all play into how we value it!

It ceases to amaze me how the power ratings were so different back then....you definitely got a lot more bang for your buck when it came to wattage and less gave you much more than today's power ratings.

You must have a pretty high end stylus for that new turntable you just acquired....I think I need to upgrade mine....still have the original turntable and stylus from my highschool days and I'm guessing by the way it sounds I could be doing a lot better with a new one....at least a new stylus.....most likely just worn out. That's also the problem with most of my old vinyl....they are just so worn....tons of crackles and pops during playback....there's a few records that still sound pretty good but with most they simply sound horrible and are downright painful to listen too...:eek: Sounds like you have quite an extensive collection of vinyl and they must be in really great shape too...good for you...some guys swear nothing beats vinyl for clarity.

Yeah...don't ever worry about bragging around me....I don't look at it as bragging. I want to know exactly what guys have and I also want to know exactly how they like that equipment....if THEY don't convince me by talking about it that the sound is superb....I'm probably not going to be too interested in hearing anything more about their stuff so brag away! :smoke:

You mentioned adding more channels to broaden the sound range.....were you planning on setting up another pair of speakers so you have some sort of quad type configuration or were you planning on stacking another pair with the Polks?

Haha....it's ironic you are a big Steely Dan fan....because when I was sound checking new equipment to figure out what I wanted for my new system a couple years ago, Steely Dan was the first artist the sales rep put on for the demo....I'll never forget how good that sounded and how blown away I was by the reproduction....so now I listen to the group quite regularly as opposed to before that day....:D Really enjoy Santana as well....came to appreciate their style due to the fact they were one of my older brother's favorite groups when I was growing up and he would listen to them constantly...I can't remember the name of the album right off hand but it had Black Magic Woman on it....never get tired of those songs even so.

Miles Davis is another one of those artists a lot of people listen too to see how good a HIFI setup sounds....works perfect every time...and of course Pink Floyd is one of my all time favorites....Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall in particular are albums I've always been impressed with and NEVER get tired of.

Sorry this got so long winded....I'll have to tell you about my other equipment including the new setup later.....I'll include some pics....I think you'll get a kick out of it ;)

11. i got a logitech package...its 5.1 digital speakers...2 front ones, 2 back ones, a middle one with a pretty hard hitting subwoofer and i use a sound card

cant remember exact specifications anymore,. got it like 2 years ago but if i turn it up all the way a LOT of my neighbors can hear it lol

12. So are your neighbors cool with you turning it up or do they get all bent out of shape about it? Like some of my neighbors for example....I don't dare turn it up after dark or I'll have the cops knocking on the door faster than I can get my ass off the couch to twist the volume knob. :devious: Now I'm so paranoid I don't even feel comfortable having parties anymore.....time to move out into the country....then I can really raise some hell....lol

13. an avr-247 with some mtx 60i dual 6.5" 2 way boockshelf speakers left and right and a 8" sundown audio e8 powered by an elemental designs 220.1 in a quarter wave transmission line enlcosure.

i don't think i could've done any better with the money i spent, i'm very happy with it so far.

14. There's a whole separate group of audiophiles who eat, breathe and listen to nothing else but tube driven equipment...it's practically a religion to them. I have to admit....I have heard some incredible out of this world sounding tube systems combined with various high end turntables and horn style loudspeakers.....like these for example....there's only one small problem....they're a little out of my price range :laughing:

Cary tube amplifier with Avantgarde Trio Classico speakers (price tag on speakers $190K)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. yeah never got a complaint...what i do sometimes is put my speakers near my window so i can go outside and blaze a bowl outside my room and listen to my tunes on those speakers...i put it up like all the way and never get complaints...but if i did it at like 1 am im sure id get complaints...my street has sooooo many little kids living on it

but during the day ill play it as loud as i want

16. I have a 720 watt Sony LBT zx99i and I am happy my closest neighbors are an acre away. I can hear this thing a block away still, but my neighbors are cool about it.

17. #17 Bong Wizard, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010

see....you are so lucky you have that acre distance....makes all the difference in the world.

I think my sub is the main culprit when it comes to annoying the neighbors...as you can see it sits by a window so the lows go right through the glass. For parties I install an insulated plug (made out of sound board and fiberglass insulation) which fits snugly into the door frame completely covering all the glass. It dampens the sound to some degree but it's still loud as hell in the house next door....I know because I was taking care of their pets one time and did a sound check. I have to admit it would be a bitch to sleep through that :D Several houses are 50-100 feet away....so I turn down the sub as much as I can without it sounding like I have no sub at all.

My newest system is wired up to this Martin Logan sub.....has an onboard 900 watt power amp built right into the speaker cabinet. Damn near gotta be a rocket scientist to figure out all the friggin settings....got it plugged into its own electrical circut so I don't overload the breaker...haha

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ^^^ that looks like so much fun

19. #19 Travis Bickle, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
    Power:
    Onkyo TX-SR508
    [​IMG]
    Center:
    B&W 600 Series
    [​IMG]
    Mains:
    CAT
    [​IMG]
    Rear:
    JBL Pro Performers
    [​IMG]
    Sub:
    Polk PSW10
    [​IMG]

20. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quarter wave T-Line

The port area is equal to the cone area of the sub, and the length of the port is one quarter of the length of the subwoofers resonant frequency.