What have we become?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Reflection Eternal, May 22, 2010.

1. Last night my friend threw a party in honor of our other friend who is on leave from Korea. He is only in town for about 4-5 days, and we wanted to get everyone together for him. It was a real success - people I hadn't seen since high school showed up, even some flakes that always say they will and never do, you know?

That's great, yeah? Except from the very start when people showed up, nobody had much of anything to say to each other. Everyone's body language was stiff. People were so rude to each other...and this was all among people I considered good friends. I'm reconsidering now. Everyone knew each other, there wasn't any hostility. Just isolation. How you can give someone a halfassed hug without putting your stupidass cell phone down for one fucking minute I don't know. The man of the hour barely said anything to anyone, and he simply didn't say anything to some people. He couldn't be bothered to say goodbye when he left.

Everyone just seems so impersonal these days. Nobody seems to want to make the effort.

Well I fucking do. I care. I talk to people and I break the ice and I get people laughing and I pay attention to anyone that gives me theirs. Because I believe that's how it should be. There is honesty within attention. I know there are exceptions. This one girl I've known since high school was trying to flirt and would insert herself right beside me at some points, and sad to say I'm just not attracted to her. I wasn't an asshole, but I didn't lead her on. A balance can be found.

But at the end of the night when we all left, I still felt terrible about it all. It persists today. I'm trying to keep faith but I'm losing more of it every day. Have you seen this among your friends? Do you know this impersonal vibe I'm speaking of? Tell me what you think about it.

2. I feel you man, I truly do. I went to a bonfire last night in which the whole time spent was making fun of this one kid. Just a bunch of people hiding behind their insecurities and in a way would rather hide underneath their cozy little blanket than actually just expose themselves and be genuine. It's like, grow up, mature, lose the distance, and make true connections. Gah, people these days. :rolleyes:

3. I have a friend who texts girls the entire fucking time i'm with him and doesn't hold conversations well at all. I confront him about it every time and he just says he "has to do it".

4. I love how you and many people say "we"... saying what have we become o.o U think ur the only -person out ther that isnt a stuborn asshole.. Dont say we cuz in we ur saying humans and that is false.:hello: baked er

5. lame party is lame because the host is lame.

6. wtf r u saying dude

7. If it isn't applicable to you then read over it. I'm not going to change my words because your point doesn't move me at all. The fact is we are all changing. If you can't see that technology and the way we communicate have changed then perhaps you should look harder. And I know I'm not the only person in the world that isn't a stubborn asshole. Don't be ridiculous. I'm just one of a handful.

The host is one of the coolest guys you've never met. He is genuine and he went out of his way to have everyone over when he had to get up at some ungodly hour this morning to catch a flight to California. He also happens to be my best friend, and it's no secret he's very well liked and popular. So your logic isn't very accurate. Could you add something else?

8. I know exactly what you mean, it's fucking sad honestly.

Best example i can think of. I went to get a hair-cut from the town I use to live in. I lived there for 4-5 years, and while I was there my neighbor become my best friend. I was literally hanging out with him every day for hours on end. So there I was at the barber shop and I happen to notice him there too. I was pretty damn excited because i haven't seen or talked to the guy in forever. So i say sup to him and try to start a convo and shit, but he was just kinda ignoring me/trying to play me like he was embarrassed of me or some shit. So I said fuck that kid and never made any other attempts in talking to him again.

9. as someone who is socially awkward, i wish more people would talk to me, being ignored simply makes it worse.

10. I know what you mean dude, I've seen a lot of good friends succumb to this "impersonal" attitude. It's kind of like they're too good to talk to you and come down to your level, right? Like they need to keep their composure and be cool.

11. This, OP, is why parties involve alcohol.

12. Yes I can relate to ya. I think we all have been there. In situations where the atmostphere is dull and noone seems like they really wanna be there.

It is what you make of it most of the time. Then again theres other times where I dont wanna continue putting energy towards conversation when there is no effort to ask questions back.

Also, sometimes people forget to live in the moment and their minds are going way to fast and their thoughts are often if far away places. This even happens to me. I try to keep in mind, it only takes a handful of good energy to uplift the party.

13. Agreed.

A lot of people seem to be so concerned with how people view them that they present this cool and calm facade and hold in any type of emotion. Its funny, because this doesn't really work since when people see people like this it is pretty obvious they are just insecure. In many ways it is just better to say what you are thinking even if it might be embarrassing because if you hold it in and try to act all aloof and nonchalant that's even more obvious.

14. u guys all shoulda lit up

15. Yes.

Sad, but true. When people start tossing tables off your balcony to see who can get the most distance, no one is going to sit back and text.

But seriously, I know what you mean. Sucks having your once friends sit around and pay more attention to their navels and cell phones than to you or the other people there. Fucking technology keeps everyone distant. I now no longer try and hit on girls that I see texting because they almost never give two cents, they just hide behind their cellphones for security. Girls texting in my presence is the biggest turn off/deal-breaker. And I mean incessantly, not just a message or two to a friend.

16. #16 Reflection Eternal, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
    What kind of amateur do you think you're talking to? :devious: There were two tables of beer pong going at one point and people who weren't playing were sipping beverages. I just tire of the function we allow alcohol to serve in that manner. It's depressing thinking of the number of get-togethers that center around alcohol.

Smalltown, USA or unfortunate reality of life? I'm not sure, I just know I'd like to find an alternative soon.

Haha, again, what kind of amateur do you take me for? We stepped outside and had a blunt in rotation at one point. The night wasn't that terrible, I just came away from it disheartened.

17. I know what you are saying cause I'm in college and whenever i come home and go to parties, they are always more different. you can say its becasue ppl change but if you think about it, the things you talk about with ppl are the things you have in common like classes, ppl they know etc.

as ppl go their separate ways, you lose these small conversational connections