What happens when you die?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by JesusGotBaked, Dec 24, 2011.

1. What do you think happens when you're dead? Do you believe there is a loving God who will embrace you, do you forget about the rest of the universe and enable yourself to be snug at home and think "there must be a God, I'm so comfy"? Do you believe you will go to an afterlife after death?

Or are you a total atheist? You believe there is no God, therefore you know death is nothingness. You won't know when you're dead. It's as simple as that. The universe is able to create itself, somehow, and over 13.7 billion years we are simply observers here who will be dead in a blink of an eye.

Or, are you not sure? Maybe you're somewhere in between, skeptical, willing to believe, yet not sure what the hell is going on in the world. You aren't sure if there is, or isn't a God, but ultimately you want to know the truth. If there is a God, you'll be fine with it because its the truth, if there is no God, then you'll be fine with that because its the truth. Either way you'll be satisfied. You don't know what happens at the moment of death.

I don't want to get into an argument about God, I want this to focus on the aspect of death. What happens the moment YOU die? We ALL will die, that is our inevitable fate. So what happens?

Personally, I don't know what happens when I die. I'd like to believe there is a God out there, who loves me, and created the entire universe for humans, really I would, but that seems so incredibly unlikely that it isn't even realistic. I often become terrified of death, I will no longer exist, and that scares me and I don't know why, maybe it's the fear of the unknown? I have read accounts of people who suffer near death experiences, and they swear they have been to the after life. Why would the brain cause these religious experiences? Maybe the universe is so big because God wants to literally show us how huge he is, and how unlimited and vast his love is for us. Or maybe thats just a human concept I'm creating and telling myself so I get some comfort. It seems so unlikely God is real, yet part of me wants to believe, so I don't know what happens when I die, no one really does until they're dead.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnoH95tITic[/ame]

2. Shit, your Jesus I thought you would know :eek:

3. I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

The righteous perish, and no one ponders it in his heart; devout men are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on. They will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them. Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

4. jesus............... just take another bong hit and walk on water again, at least that was amusing.

5. the death of our human bodies is just the end of one plane of existence for energy doesnt dissipate it just transforms. heres a good video explaining some things, [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R2dNwih-1s&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL9610203CF0C3C93E]Hippie talks about the Universe - YouTube[/ame]

6. "Death is a new beggining"

7. the "after-life"

light=consciousness

language

8. If I type a vague answer, using ambiguous language to communicate a non-specific idea, will you accept it as insight?

9. Because the ego is an illusion (a mere coincidence of biological experience and reflection of reality), nothing happens to you when you die because "you" don't really exist in the first place.

Buddhism got it right :smoking:

10. Your body dies but your soul is there, I have seen research studies where scientist found where the human soul is located in someone's body , it's kinda strange but I believe there is a afterlife and right when you die either past loved ones come guide you to heaven? Or hell.

11. No scientific study has ever demonstrated the human body has a soul. If you're talking about the pineal gland, it just has the capability of producing a bunch of chemicals that make you trip balls (among other necessary hormones).

12. There's zero proof that the pineal gland produces chemicals that make you "trip balls." It produces 2 compounds that we know of: melatonin, which regulates human circadian rhythms, and pinoline, which is a beta carboline. Neither of which, in any dose, causes you to "trip balls."

13. Well I guess DMT production is just conjecture then? At any rate, melatonin can make you trip balls if you try hard enough :p

http://www.erowid.org/smarts/melatonin/

14. None of us will ever fucking know, will we? Just stay afraid and keep praying.....Merry Xmas!!!

15. Yes, it is just conjecture.

I guess you missed that part in Dr. Strassman's book. Perhaps you never read it. It's kinda necessary to actually begin to approach this subject.

16. I haven't, which one is that?

17. People you knew become sad and usually enter a period of mourning....

18. DMT is released during sleep, it is what causes dreams. Its been said that large amounts of it are released as you are dying, maybe this is the ego subconsciously trying to keep itself alive?