What happens when you die?

Discussion in 'General' started by c0nrath, Feb 18, 2009.

1. http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=495

Consider the case of Languille, a convicted murderer who was guillotined in France. He was observed by Dr. Beaurieux during his execution at 5:30am on June 28th, 1905. As written in Archives d'Anthropologie Criminelle, here are the doctor's observations:
    Here, then, is what I was able to note immediately after the decapitation: the eyelids and lips of the guillotined man worked in irregularly rhythmic contractions for about five or six seconds … I waited for several seconds. The spasmodic movements ceased.

The face relaxed, the lids half closed on the eyeballs, leaving only the white of the conjunctiva visible, exactly as in the dying whom we have occasion to see every day in the exercise of our profession, or as in those just dead.

It was then that I called in a strong, sharp voice: 'Languille!' I saw the eyelids slowly lift up, without any spasmodic contractions … Next Languille's eyes very definitely fixed themselves on mine and the pupils focused themselves … After several seconds, the eyelids closed again, slowly and evenly, and the head took on the same appearance as it had had before I called out.

It was at that point that I called out again and, once more, without any spasm, slowly, the eyelids lifted and undeniably living eyes fixed themselves on mine with perhaps even more penetration than the first time. Then there was a further closing of the eyelids, but now less complete. I attempted the effect of a third call; there was no further movement and the eyes took on the glazed look which they have in the dead.

I have just recounted to you with rigorous exactness what I was able to observe. The whole thing had lasted twenty-five to thirty seconds.

interesting article.

I remember something about Tim Leary talking about how after a natural death, while the body ceases to function, the brain goes on. I don't know how completely credible one can consider him though.

The body/brain also produces large amounts of DMT in the coming moments of the end of life. This is what the Tibetan Book of the Dead is based on kinda...

2. That book I mentioned, Stiff, it talks about that guillotine case. ^^^

3. #44 Smokeitdown, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
    I've often contemplated this. I'm often left with a hundred more questions than I started with. It starts with what happens when I die, then what happens to my soul. Then what is a soul, who am I, what is the concept of "I"... Am I actually more than just skin and bones, or am "I" just like every other life form on this planet? Destined to live my life until I pass on, and simply become decomposing matter and nothingness?

When I die, will I go to a "heaven" or "hell" or will the release of all the euphoric and hallucinogenic chemicals be a big blur that echoes through the rest of my "consciousness". How long is this consciousness? Does my "soul" or my "being" (who I actually am) live on forever? Maybe I am already dead, and this "life" I am imagining is just that. An imagination brought upon by the rush of chemicals sent through your body when one is passing on. Or maybe this is all just a never-ending dream. Maybe I've been dead for thousands of years, and this life is just a dream of a life which I have made up, which changes every time I die at the end of said dream.

Like I said, questioning this will only bring about more questions. I have dabbled with the thought so often, that I'm usually left with the same bundle of questions... Who am "I".. Why am "I" here.... is all this real?

4. I think when you die life goes on.

5. You realize none of it mattered.

6. none of what mattered What'sThatSmell?

7. Life in general.

A person is rarely remembered more than 100 years after they die unless they did something amazingly great or horrific.

8. this shit has gotten me going crazy at night so i cant slep untill i get my mind. not existing drives me crazy

9. I believe there is an energy that we as humans can not prove exists or find yet. Then the energy is released an occupies another being or something

But then again I have no idea. But I think since everything is so complex. Everything is so complex beyond reason and understanding. So how much sense would it make for life to just be gone. If everythings so complicated I don't see there being nothing as an option.

10. I thought like this when I was high once and I don't think i've ever been that afraid of something, just because death is the only guaranteed thing in this life.

11. I thought of this a while ago, you know how when you die in a dream you wake up right when you die. What if you died and woke up right then and it was all a huge dream and everything that happened to you was just one huge dream? Idk just a wierd thought i had

12. what about taxes

13. Well thank you for reminding me. But no that's not accurate for life, everything dies but other species don't exactly have to pay taxes.

14. lol you must be really stoned

15. shit same here man. that thought to me is mind-boggling

16. When you die, you are no longer alive.

/thread

17. When I die, I will hopefully make it up to heaven and enjoy eternity. I am hoping that it is nothing like this world, and that everything seems good and complete. I wish to know the answers to my existence on this Earth and to also become one with God. In heaven, I do not believe we will be living like we do today. I don't think that there will be bodies, but that our souls will somehow all work together in making life complete.
    :smoking:

18. We are teleported to an alternate dimension, where everybody, every sensation, every moment, every thought, every fantasy, every haunting memory, every single thing that has ever occurred to you in the entirity of you life is played back to you, in reverse in exactly ten seconds. Then your mind unconscieusly decides whether your soul would rather live your life for eternity suffering (a ghost), or if you would rather indure ten minutes of the most incredibly excruciating, universe bending pain. If you take option one, you live in the world, just after you died, in third person simply to observe life around you after death. If you take the second option however, you will materialize in an alternate universe, one in which you are presented everything that has been familiar to you, but it is presented in an entirely different way. In this universe (one of many for this purpose) everybody lives with the people they have familiarized themselves with throughout their lives, everybody lives in harmony. You find yourself in this world, already knowing these people, their faces are familiar but their names are different. They know of the people you tell them about. They live in the same space, the same world that you have known all your life. The only difference is that when you are brought into this world, you are presented to you all the knowledge of the universe, and fate rests it's hand on your head telling you that your time to live has finally come. People are suddenly materialized in this world, delivered in their previous near dead condition. You are reborn. You are infant, with the knowledge of the entire universe, and the love of all of history. You finally fall asleep.