What happens next?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by ridnkawie4life, Jan 3, 2010.

1. What do you guys think of whats to come in the near future?? with Obama in office, someone who supports weed, and constant marijuana decriminalization/legalization controversy, what do you think is gonna come?

I think that at the end of Obamas career in office, he will finally say something about legalizing pot, so that he doesnt ruin his rep with some supporters. I think that it would probably at that point be legal on a federal level and every state can prescribe it medically.

But how long will it take to finally be sold like alcohol and tobacco?

how sweet would it be when you can finally walk into a gas station, or a walgreens, and purchase some OG KUSH?? for affordable prices too!! mmmannnnn I cant wait!!! if only people would stop being ignortant stubborn FUCKS!!

2. Obama does not support the legalization of cannabis. Legalization will not occur while he is in office, sorry. And it's really hard to say when we will witness legalization. We've gotten closer in the last few years, but there is still a long journey ahead.

3. Obama never said anything about not supporting legalization nor did he say anything about supporting it. Though, his actions show to be more towards the supporting side. There isn't much he can do to stop it though.

4. just thinking about it being legal makes me antsy.

5. This is a state issue at this points. The fed will act, (imo taking it off sched 1) regardless of who is in office, after several states have legalized. Obama messiah has little to do with this at this point. This is for the people in the states.

The feds will not "legalize it" in the sense of alcohol (which was handled by constitutional amendment and allowed state control) but allow state regulation... but as I said, when they finally do that, it will already be legal in several states anyway.

What comes next? CA, WA, CO and MA legalize it over the next few years then we see what the feds do.

6. well Obama, as it stands, cannot be supporting it anyways because it is such a controversial issue, it would be like career suicide if he said anything right now, but he is not opposed to the idea and he is much more accepting and understanding of the drug than most of the recent presidents...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQr9ezr8UeA]YouTube - Barack Obama on Marijuana Decriminalization (2004)[/ame]

note** as i said in the original post, DECRIMINALIZATION

7. Doesn't the white house and Gil Kerlikowski have a deadline for unveiling the new plan for the war on drugs by like feb/mar? According to NORML, they have been brougt in as a consultant rather than being blocked at the gates, they have been invited.

8. Decriminalization is not a good idea. If he doesn't support legalization, he doesn't support cannabis at all.

When it came time for him to respond to an online poll from his website in regards to legalization, he made a joke out of the whole thing.

9. but unfortunately he cannot say a thing about it because it is unpopular. according to my family, i am opposed to marijuana, doesnt mean i dont smoke it and support it. I just dont wanna deal with all the bullshit they will give me if they know that i use it. And why would decriminalization not be a good idea?

10. Decriminalization would not be beneficial to our society, in fact, all the things we don't want would come true. More teens would be getting their hands on it, crime associated with distribution and the cartels would only get worse, there would still be no standard of quality, cultivation would still be a felony offense, possession would still be considered a finable offense.

11. obama don't support marijuana legalizing anymore.he used to before he got elected
    sadly it will probably stay illegal :cry:

12. the Obama administration has done its part by calling the fed off state-level legal dispensaries and users.
    Federal legalization is (probably) a long way off.
    Right now it's up to the states, and there's never been a better time. I believe three states are voting on legalization this year. if ANY of those pass, you can bet your life that many more will vote next year. if it becomes a sweeping trend, THEN you may see some sort of reform at a federal level. But, it'd have to happen in the next couple years, because Obama won't be reelected unless he miraculously turns the recession around. It wasn't his fault, he just inherited the mess, and the American populace just likes to have someone to blame. So, unless it's fixed by election time, guaranteed we'll be getting a republican in office, and then that's at least four years until another chance at legalization.

13. I don't believe he ever supported legalization.

14. It's time for pitchforks and torches, run the criminals out of office.

15. I think that teens that would get their hands on it if it was legal would be just as able to get ahold of it now while its illegal. And even if they do get their hands on it, is that such a bad thing? If they are mature enough to handle it then more power to them! But unfortunately there will ALWAYS be some unfortunate youth that is not mature enough to use marijuana safely, some will rely on it way too much and throw their life away at a young age but I believe that if they are going to do this, they will do it whether its legal or not. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but that is what I think, not tryin to hate!

I am totally with you, and I think that it is the same with GWB, he was very unfortunate to be in office at the time of the world trade center incident. Its not his fault that he had all the pressures on him to act at such a rough time, I think we should be out of the war by now but if we wouldnt have gone to war to begin with, maybe they would have attacked more, you never know, id rather be safe than sorry. And ultimately, I think that every president will essentially do the same job with our country, the main goal is to satisfy majority of people in the US and that is exactly what every president is trying to do...But yeah it probably will be a while before any big changes take place federally :-/ well played!

16. I agree with this. Obama has never been in support of legalization. He mentioned decriminalization like 5 years ago, but that's ancient history in terms of politics. For now, you have to hope for states to legalize.

He's laughed off questions about legalization and has been clear, when finally answering them, that he doesn't think legalization is a good idea. Obama seems to be in favor of giving medical patients their medicine, but he's definitely not pro-cannabis.