What happens if you “Self” An (S1)

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by John Dilinger, Mar 27, 2022.

1. What happens if you “self” an S1 plant from seed.

what are the outcomes, if the original s1 was reversed true or stable.

I know that s1 seeds also have varying phenotypes, would the seeds produced from the reversal of the original (S1) re-introduce multiple genes from the original mother plant per say?

would it most likely be a herm catastrophe? I’m just curious.
    I have a rather rare (to me) strain that is (S1) straight from the breeder. Every seed but one was a casualty. That being said I have one healthy.
    I want to take that plant and clone it, then hit it with selfing spray. So that I can access the genes again. I won’t be “breeding” with this, as I’m not yet a breeder. But it is something that interests me and I’m reading the breeders bible. I want these seeds so that I can start messing around with stuff and mainly for the fact that it comes from a high thc plant , so crossing it for personal use would be potentially interesting, thanks in advance, and I’m sorry for the ramble.

2. A seedling even a "Selfie" still has the potential of a range of phenotypes just not as varied as it would have been with a true male involved. You have a good chance of her tossing something very similar to her current "Type".

Rodelization = 5 to 500 seeds.
    Hermaphrodite = 50,000 seeds

Regular seeds have the lowest %
    The very act of feminizing puts them at higher %
    If the original breeder started with feminized and you feminize again.
    Draw your own conclusions. :)
    Go for it. It'll be a great learning experience no matter how it turns out.

It's like finding that strain that exactly replicates "Juicy Fruit Gum" and no the current one doesn't.

BNW

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. #3 John Dilinger, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    I gotchu, thanks boss. if you yourself were purposely messing with an S1 would you personally use a spray/reversal method, or would you let it “rodelize”? Or are both methods pretty much guaranteed to raise the probability of herms equally.

4. Not all plants will Rodelize so I'd likely choose to spray her with silver nitrate to be sure I got the seeds I was after.

BNW

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Much appreciated my friend.