What happened to the anti war movement?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FALSE, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Just watched this video, and found it very good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_VHEts3fqk]What Happened to the Antiwar Movement? - YouTube[/ame]

This is why i like GC politics... despite ideological bickering we can find common ground here.

2. I didn't watch the video, but I'm just here to say I miss anti-war democrats.

3. Whoa, Wind Man Jones watching a Reason.tv video :eek: :D

4. #4 AugustWest, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
    What happened to the anti war movement?

there will be an anti war movement when a (R) becomes president again.. The only reason I was rooting for Romney was so there would be an antiwar movement again.

the (D) people will be against the drone strikes when that happens.

People actually think the Iraq war is over...

5. A democrat got elected.

6. more like a neocon.

but yeah.. it's just so creepy how people follow their party no matter what they do.

7. [quote name='"AW"']

more like a neocon.

but yeah.. it's just so creepy how people follow their party no matter what they do.[/quote]

i agree, people are more worried about their party affiliation, then the actual things the candidates do/or want to do

to me both democrat and republicans are one in the same to me, both parties dont give a shit what the people think...

i wish citizens would be able to vote on bills/laws

8. It's sad how small the anti-war movement has become. I don't consider the Democrats who were against the wars while Bush was president to be anti-war. They were just anti-Republican.

9. I can't wait for that day to come!!! The day when the little switch in liberals brains flip and they are antiwar again.

10. There are no liberals among those who claim to be liberals, ironically. They all moved either to the libertarian camp, or the communist camp. Those are the only 2 groups who can claim to have any moral principles. Statist Ds and Rs are psychopaths for the most part, devoid any morality.

11. Aside from Obama being elected, warfare has fundamentally changed.

Gone are the days where we get troops and deploy them to a country and they shoot people.

Now, it's done with unmanned drones in secret. We are establishing drone bases in North Africa right now.

A lot of people simply are unaware of how warfare is evolving.

12. Whenever I have a debate with someone like a friend, or a friend of a friend, some of them will say things like "I voted for Obama and he ended the war in Iraq and killed Osama bin Laden, what has the person you wanted elected done so far?" This annoys me so much there isn't a scale big enough to measure it. I was just talking to someone who was getting shipped out soon, to of all places, Iraq..

How do you end a war that has never been legally declared?

WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

13. Boo hoo, sob sob. Let's all set up a "free hugs, make love not war" stand somewhere, anybody down?

14. See what I mean? Literal psychopaths.

15. I think it's between it not being "cool" to be anti-war anymore or the "fact" that their opinions don't matter when it comes to something so big.

16. Many reasons. No draft, the nature of modern asymmetric warfare (no clear battle field or enemy nation state), length of time, media coverage burnout. But I still believe the anti-war movement is still going. It's gone more asymmetrical itself with the acknowledgement that our government openly denies the will of the people and wages war regardless. So what you're seeing more of is civil disobedience such as OWS and marijuana legalization. These are direct manifestations of the frustrations with our dysfunctional government.

17. The problem with OWS was the laughing stock they allowed themselves to become. They were merely a trend to most. The places OWS wanted to go doesn't get accomplished through peaceful protest.

18. #18 TheDankery, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
    While a lot of the decline in the antiwar movement since Obama's election can be attributed to individuals being unprincipled hacks, I think a lot of people more or less just gave up because they have come to believe that they can't stop our wars by protest or by voting in the two-party/one-party system.

I mean, ten years ago the massive protests against the Iraq War across the world and in the US tragically did nothing to prevent the war. Americans now know we were sold that war based on fiction, but the level of outrage over that is so tiny in proportion to the massive suffering and death resulting from the war. That we were lied to about Iraq should really piss people off. Iraq is worse off today than ten years ago and America is worse off for fighting that war, but most people just don't seem to care.

They've been trying to lie us into a war with Iran too. I hope this doesn't happen for the sake of the world.

19. I hope this doesn't happen. Too many people still buy into the whole fear thing when it comes to justified war. We have been digging at Iran for ages now, and they have yet to launch an assault of us, even through all of the sanctions we have placed on them. If they won't attack us for practically crashing their economy and such through these sanctions (which aren't harmless), it will take an attack from us for them to attack us. They are too smart to fall for the tactics that the US used and uses against other Arab countries to warrant an invasion like in Iraq.

The US just leaves a trail of death wherever it goes.

20. #20 TheDankery, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013