What Happened To My Babies!?!?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bongman1992, Jun 24, 2008.

1. well this is a sad day for me. so heres the deal. i have a closet going in my attic with two plants. they were about 4 weeks old when the tragedy struck. i had them in regular soil, no nutes, the whole time. they were under four 42 watt CFLs which were 2700. i watered whenever the soil became dry 3 inches below the surface. there was no ventilation or fan, temps fluxed b/w 100-108, which i know is very high, but they were doing fine for 4 weeks at those temps, so i let it go.

so, i decided to make some changes. i realized that i was using the wrong lights for veg. i read that u are supposed to use 6500 CFL instead of 2700 during veg. so i went out and bought four 30 watt 6500 and put them in. i also added a small fan to circulate air better and hopefully cool it down some. well, the next day, i came up, and both plants were dead. the soil was bone dry (i watered the day before) and my babies were shriveled up and wilted. temperature read 107 when i came up and found them dead.

does anybody know what happened here!?!? any help would be greatly appreciated

2. i really wish i could assist. I more or less just wanted to show a shoulder to lean on. That really sucks man.... Makes me want to cry and they wernt even mine.

3. At 107 sounds like heat death. You want basicly room temp, if slightly warmer.

Also plants 4 weeks in should be getting some nutes

4. thanks man

5. With those temps, the real question is how did they survive for 4 weeks.

6. ya, but they lasted 4 weeks at those temps, and then the very day after i made those changes, they were both dead

7. Maybe it was the sudden change? Sound logical to me..

8. the first day of the grow temp was at 102
    it fluxed during the day gradually
    so i dont think a sudden change even occured

9. i ment the sudden change when you brought in the fan to cool things down and changed the light...

10. The new CFL's were the sudden change, it obviously had something to do with it. They died pretty quick after that you said right? The heat and then the stronger light maybe that did them in. those plants were bound to have problems down the road anyway with those temperatures. I grew in an attic closet when I was like 15-16(12 years ago) and I had crazy problems, but it could have been I was a complete n00b too, hermies, heat stress, some kind of moldy shit on my straggly hermied buds:D. You gotta deal with those temps if you wanna re-use that spot, attics are good spot to grow in but its gonna take money to deal with that heat. Even just getting the closet well ventilated will help, with one fan blowing in, one fan blowing out.

Good Luck man, dont get discouraged, everybody has setbacks, just keep germing seeds:wave:

11. Yeah wat underpants is saying is wat i was trying to say. But i have one fan in the room blowing around and another fan turned around in the doorway blowing it outa the room. My window in my room from my closet is right next to the closet so there is constent fresh cool air flowing around. Plus the window right next to the closet and the fan IN my actual room is going pushing the air out the window. So it also helps alot for odor reasons.

12. Very odd. I mean, you'd think it'd be the heat as thats just no good.

How close were your CFL's? IF the average temp was say 102-104, and the CFL's pushed it up a few fnal degree's...? Keep your CFL's two-four inches away for the plants. I used to have mine at around 2 , and it got a tiny bit too much, and those were 26watters

Either way, if your going to do it again keep a lower average of temps, and make sure your soil is well watered.

13. It probably was the lights. The first set of lights are for bloom and 6500k is for veg. They mustve been confused as hell.... bloom light to veg light. Perhaps a moderate/gradual change of lights from the red spectrum to blue wouldve helped, if they coudlve been able to be helped in the 1st place.

14. Improper/switch in lighting shouldnt kill them.
    My guess is the temperatures mixed with improper waterings, even though I am not sure of the watering, especially if they shriveled.