What Happened To Franco From Green house seeds

Discussion in 'General' started by Dr-Weed, Jan 3, 2017.

1. #1 Dr-Weed, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. RIP FRANCO ....TRUE LEGEND

Franco Loja, one half of the famed “Strain Hunters”, died today, January 2nd, 2017. The reason for his death is unknown at the time of this post. He was a partner of Arjan Roskam in the Green House Seed Co. in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Franco was the head breeder for the company which is the most awarded seed company in the world by many accounts.

The two spent years crossing the globe looking for cannabis strains. Their Strain Hunters video series has over 60,000 subscribers on YouTube, and they were recently featured on Vice TV while in Colombia searching for specific landrace strains. Franco also wrote for Cannabis Now and was a true cannabis celebrity and leader in strain development and breeding. Franco’s Instagram page had almost 100,000 followers on January 2nd.

Their strain Hunter site and the Green House Seed Co. websites both point to a tribute page for the legendary cannabis entrepreneur.

The page reads:

Franco is an icon and helped change so many peoples lives. He will deeply be missed as a brother, father, son, friend and so much more.

“Cannabis is my passion, my bread, my home. I feel it is my duty to make sure this amazing plant is preserved and enjoyed. I am a smoker, a grower, a breeder, and a Strain Hunter for Life.” — Franco Loja, Strain Hunter – May 20, 1974 to January 2, 2017.

• Like Like x 4
  3. R.I.P
    I was just watching one of their documentaries 1-2 days ago.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pretty sure it was Malaria. He was in Congo last. Hard to believe he didn't get a shot or something before going...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Damn. At least he died doing what he loved - traveling, growing and smoking. I'd do the same .. a killer disease wouldn't stop me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bummer to see such a passionate guy die so young. Their Super Lemon Haze was and is an amazing strain. I wish I had a zip of it right now. :sad:

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  7. Never seen anyone get so much joy out of this plant and have the passion he did.
    Too bad Arjan, the owner of Greenhouse, is a money hungry, greedy bastard who decided to only sell female seeds, which he could charge more for, and hoard all those amazing genetics so nobody could do any breeding on their own and come up with even more amazing hybrids. Barneys Farm is doing the same shit and BOTH of those companies should be boycotted.

8. It is a loss for someone any time a person dies. It sucks that his time came to an end but it is a fate we will all suffer.
    Greenhouse pushes junk genetics though, and the strain hunters Bs seems more like a marketing scheme than an attempt to preserve cannabis.

9. You guys just don't get it. This loss of a kind hearted champion of cannabis doesn't have anything to do with GHS or female seeds. His devotion to the evolution of this plant we love was unrivaled. Have a little respect.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  10. They have the right to, though. Nothing stops you from sourcing these genetics yourself and getting hold of regular seeds.

You can also make your own hybrids and feminized seed by using the pollen of a female plant undergoing rhodelization or collodial silver treatment.. and then apply it to your strain of choice. Saves having to grow males in the process. ^^

11. I heard also that it was malaria but who knows. Love the work he did and strain hunters

• Like Like x 1
  12. Personally, I just started watching- enjoy watching the Strain Hunters' videos. I'm not into cultivation the way these guys are. No doubt they've made loads of money---good for them!

I am very sad that Franco passed away. I understand how his friends and family feel because we lost my step-son at a very young age while he was mountain climbing in Tibet.

What I understand about cerebral malaria the possibility of surviving it unscathed is very slim. If either Franco or my stepson had survived chances are they would not have enjoyed their lives, post recovery. RIP FL