What exactly is the "flowering period?"

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Zilla!, May 10, 2009.

1. example:
    Flowering time: 55 days/September (south); mid October (north)

just wondering exactly what this meant. Does the 55 days mean the time when the seeds first germate to when you can dry your plants? Or does it mean from when your plants start to flower, to when the finish? or something else? Also, what are the month's for?

noob question, but i don't know to much about growing. Trying to get into it.

2. The stickies were written just for you. Please read them.

3. #3 abnormldood, May 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2009
    Just a thought.. read the stickies before posting a question. There are plenty of them and they answer just about any question for a beginner.

Yes, flowering time is when they start budding until they are harvested. The months are for outdoor growing only.

We all start out with a ton of questions and it seems like there is so much to take in. What you need to do is read any stickies or articles you can find on here or on the web. Educate yourself some and then come back with more specific questions.

4. the months are for an outdoor grow of the strain - so in the example the southern hemisphere locales can look to harvest around September while the northern hemisphere should look for a harvest around October. the days are the days of flowering (plant starts flowering once light schedule is switched over to 12 hours of light/ 12 hours of dark).again using the above example the strain is flowering for almost 2 months.

5. #5 abnormldood, May 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2009
    ^Flowering starts when the plant starts flowering, not when you switch to 12/12, this is a common misconception. There is about a 1-2 week "pre-flowering" transition.

6. true there is the couple of weeks of transitionary flowering...but i was reading the question as what the flowering numbers in the example meant. I am basing it on what two seed banks informed me (one in Belgium and the other in Haarlem/Netherlands) when I asked about the numbers ... and literally they explained it as I should start counting days starting with the first day I switch over my lights to 12/12.

7. Its pretty self explanatory......

The period in which the plant grows flowers...(bud)