Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

what exactly is a tolerance?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Nipples, Dec 17, 2012.

1. I'm pretty high, so this may or may not make any sense whatsoever..

What exactly is a tolerance? By that I mean what happens in your body, or brain, whatever it may be, in order to actually have the tolerance? Does your brain just get more used to being high, or do your lungs stop letting in THC? Just curious if anyone really knows. :smoking:

2. Yes it is very interesting. Especially how everyone differs. Take a 2 week break and it is like a whole new experience. The weeds mannnn.

3. not a hundred percent sure but i have two guesses...

one is that because you have thc already in your system, it takes more weed for your body to feel effect

my other guess is that the neurons that fire/cease firing while high are "tired" of being forced to act and half ass their effects

4. #4 StepedOnAWaffle, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
    What happens is there are neuron connectors in your brain which are always firing off certain chemical signals (forgot the exact name). These chemical signals match receptors brain which has many effects on you. This doesn't just apply to drugs, this regularly happens all the time in your brain, from getting a feeling of pain or an emotion. This is how heroin gets its effects, it drastically increases seratonin flow in your brain. In fact it overloads it to tge point where your brain stops producing its own for a day or two which is why heroin addicts are so depressed after the comedown.

For cannabis the cannabinoids clog up the recepticles in your brain after extended use. They just don't dissapear after a few hours, they may take (can't remember the true time) like 10 days to deattach. Obviously you won't have all of your billions neurons recepticles clogged from one session (far from it) but with regular use so many get clogged that many of the cannabinoids can't find recepticles to get attached to. Also those nuerons I believe can also get fatigued and simply won't 'fire' a response.

5. Neurotransmitters

6. Its all bout dat neurotransmitter, man

7. my neutransmitters pretty much break the fk down when I chain smoke all day, each time taking a larger amount of weed each bowl

8. There are more factors I think. When you smoke a lot, mucous tends to build up in your lungs. Pretty sure this has a lot to do with tolerance...taking a break allows the mucous to break down. Though this is just my hypothesis.