What Exactly Is A Dream?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by LuxSpiritus, Jul 17, 2014.

1. "And what exactly is a dream?" -Syd Barret

2. I think sleep us a sort of trance state we enter where parts of your mind get a chance to shut down and repair themself and dreams are by products of that. Your mind stripped of various elements based on what's repairing, since it never fully shuts down.

There's this really rare form of insomnia a few bloodlines in the world can get, where once it starts you don't sleep ever until it kills you. You slowly enter a delirium and no medical intervention has been found to stop it. The record is about a year of life after it starts, and that guy spent most of his day meditating and having a perfect diet to try and combat it.

3. What isn't a dream? hehe

To be serious though. I think it's just communication between the different parts of the brain to a different degree than the waking state. Think about brain waves.

4. Most people don't question sleep, we just wait until we black out then wake up and go through our daily routine. I think a dream is a place we visit within our inner selves and our conscious minds try to protect us from the amazing journey we just experienced and that seemed so real, that 5 minutes later you almost forgot what occurred in the dream. Those are the only words that I can put on a dream, other than that its a massive unexplored mystery

5. A dream is like a movie for the internal creatures that inhabit our brain.

6. A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep

Come on, it shoulda been done already blades

7. a 15 minute reality of what your brain is really capable of.

8. The better question is; What isn't a dream?

So deep.

9. Edgar allan poe has a theory..

10. I think we dream to sort out our memorys and lessons we have learned and experianced. To sort the usefull from the useless, hence why are dreams are all over the shop as your sorting more then one memory at a time.

11. I think that dreams are another level or plane of reality, which is more fluid and more directly/apparently mind-based. No more or less real than our reality. And it corresponds to a more subtle layer of ourselves. Thus we always exist there in the same way that we always exist here. And there are a range of layers.

12. #12 Alaric, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014

Basically something like this, it is fairly complex what you dream about and goes deep into psychology.  But your brain is just a very complex computer, with a much different design. 

Oh right, a dream is just electrical signs in the brain. I am sure you can look up which areas of the brain light up when we dream. I am certain we know it already but just would rather eat than look that up. 

13. I think a dream is our conscious mind interpreting images it sees as our unconscious mind reorganizes itself.

It would be like reading the files while your computer does a defrag/disk cleanup.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

and so does Freud ...

15. I've always wondered why it's hard to question our surroundings while dreaming. We just accept it and go along with it. Oh, I'm flying? Seems fine to me. Oh, this dragon wants to find out how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop? Ok lets do it. Our minds doesn't find any of this out of place. With the exception of lucid dreams, and those that lucidity comes natural to.

16. Cool pic, definitely wraps it up visually :p

Dreams are something else though eh. Occasionally i'll get a solid few days in a row where I dream every night, then there are other times where I barely seem to dream at all, although apparently they say you dream every night.

'bout to have a few hoots, catch some zzzzzz and hopefully do the same myself.

Also, on another note this also reminds me of a classic tune.. Dreamer by Supertramp, very fitting. :smoke: 
    Dream on! 

17. I think that dreams are just brain activity when we sleep. It just proves that we are not all "brain dead" while sleeping. If you can close your eyes and imagine while you are awake, then it's the same thing when you are sleeping.

18. Cool thread.  Some cool answers already posted.  Has anyone else ever felt that deja vu moment when you're sure the thing has already happened?  I have this idea that we see these events in the dreams that we don't remember.  

19. #19 SIRSOG, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
    The memory center of the brain randomly firing then after I believe the brain jumbles what what seen, or perhaps they fire out of order and your brain is trying to make sense of it, so it compiles it into a linear plot we perceive as a dream

No science just a thought lol

20. A dream is activated when your unconscious mind dominates your conscious mind. The unconsciousness then retains experiences. Dream's are then created by what you were feeling before you fell asleep. And is an equal or opposite reaction to what you were feeling. They say people who don't dream are at ease, those who do are troubled.