What exactly does working at a warehouse entail?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mogwai, Sep 6, 2012.

1. So today I went to a career center to check out job openings and there was some woman there (she didn't work there, was just passing through for something. Great timing) and she was all "so you're here for a job? Well I can hire you"

So I'm going to be working at the Dollar General Warehouse, whatever the fuck that exactly is (I've never had a job like this at all haha). She told me orientation was at 6:30 tonight so I figured it would be a couple hours and I'd get home around midnight or something, but apparently it doesn't end until 4:30 a.m. o_O.. That seems like a long time for an orientation. She also said I need to wear steel toe boots. So I guess it'll be physical labor time already.

Anybody worked in a warehouse before? What's it like? I'm looking forward to it but I'm kinda sketched since I woke up at 7 a.m. and now I'm going to work until 4:30 and then go on an hour long drive home =\

2. A lot of different things, your probably moving shit or something

3. You'll be lifting 40+ lbs objects a lot and you may be driving a forklift (assuming you can get your forklift certificate).

4. Lifting shit, moving shit around...exactly how you are thinking it is going to be probably.

5. In a warehouse u will be involved in the trade of tons of product, probably for the business called 'dollar general'.

So you will be handling, organizing, sorting and distributing dollar store items..

It will be lots of labour and long hours but it will be easy money :smoke:

6. Ive worked in a warehouse... In a factory mail sorting facility.. I ran a machine that CLANGED really loud every second. Literally every second if not faster. We would process 1,000,000+ peices of mail a week. The work is very focused and has to be precise. Lifting is always the backbone to the work regardless of the work station, even sitting at the computers you would be lifting buckets of mail that weights 15+ pounds. The ones I handled were fully stacked and weighed on average like 40 pounds. It keeps you in shape thats for sure. Id lift 1000's of pounds of buckets a day.

Honestly I miss it. Its fucking annoying as fuck but if you do your shit and get the job done there would be days were we would be able to leave early.

7. you'll be lifting heavy shit all day....it's really not that bad.

8. I've worked in a few warehouses.

At a retail warehouse like dollar general you can be doing lots of different things.

Most general labor warehouse means you'll be loading/unloading trucks, sorting boxes, putting package labels on things, etc etc. Dollar general is a big enough company that you might just have to do 1 thing all day.. like all day you'll just unload/load trucks, or your job could be all day just stacking and sorting boxes and pulling them for orders.

Most warehouses aren't air conditioned, and most get damn cold in the winters.... at my last warehouse job, in the winters it was literally colder in our 30 degree freezer section than it was in the rest of the warehouse. So expect hard work, manual labor. Wear shitty clothes to work, think about getting some gloves, etc.
    You'll most likely use pallet jacks, and eventually fork lifts.

9. shipping/receiving, forklift, some heavy lifting. if its entry level i wouldnt worry to much about it. they will run you through everything that is included in your daily tasks! after a couple days/weeks it will be second nature to you.