What evidence exists against marijuana-related memory impairment?

Discussion in 'General' started by cmori3, Nov 15, 2011.

1. My dad has told me that in his line of social work, he finds that long term users of marijuana have very poor recall of their pasts, and "can barely string a sentence together." I've been opposed to these effects, but a quick search on google scholar found an abundance of studies showing negative effects of marijuana on memory. Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me?

As users we feel compelled to defend our usage, but we can't just ignore scientific studies that show differently.

2. I'm actually doing a paper on marijuana abuse/addiction for my psych class right now so this is perfect. I'll keep it short for you; marijuana impairs short-term memory while under the influence and for a few hours and occasionally up to days after use. Problems with speech point to damage of the temporal lobe of the brain, and marijuana has been proven to not cause brain damage. A lot of the side effects of smoking weed depend on the personality of the user.

3. Tons of threads on this, man. Look it up.

The basic idea is that activating your CB1 (not CB2) receptors will delay synapses and disrupt regular though processes. This affects motor skills, speech development, short-term memory, etc. There's not enough evidence to pinpoint the exact dangers of smoking and why these effects happen, but it's really not a huge issue.

The human brain has an extraordinary capability of self-regulation, and after 90 days of not smoking, any side effects should be non existent.

4. "can barely string a sentence together" is bullshit ofcourse. Atleast in most cases (I hope..) otherwise these people must have been mentally challanged.

But the evidence that smoking weed affects your memory is that when I'm havin a conversation with a friend of mine and we're high; and we try to recollect the point we made 9 seconds ago and cannot recall it for the love of god...

that is pure evidence to me.

5. There are some negative effects related to memory, but not to where it turns you into ozzy fuckin osbourne

6. yes makes short term memory pretty shit but at least it doesent strangle your kidneys and make you fuck ugly hoes

7. [quote name='"mushroomsatsuji"']There are some negative effects related to memory, but not to where it turns you into ozzy fuckin osbourne[/quote]

Hello again : wave : couldn't agree with you more! But I aint to crisp after smoking A few lol

8. #8 Storm Crow, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
    Rodney Dangerfield, Rosanne Barr,Arnold Schwartzenegger, Louis Armstrong, Richard Feyman, Carl Sagan, President Obama, Steve Martin and half of Hollywood, all seemed able to string a sentence or two together! :rolleyes:

But these may help you-

Cannabinoids ameliorate cerebral dysfunction following liver failure via AMP-activated protein kinase
    (full - 2007) Cannabinoid receptor type 2 gene is associated with human osteoporosis

The synthetic cannabinoid HU210 induces spatial memory deficits and suppresses hippocampal firing rate in rats (full – 2007) The synthetic cannabinoid HU210 induces spatial memory deficits and suppresses hippocampal firing rate in rats

Acute effects of smoked marijuana on decision making, as assessed by a modified gambling task, in experienced marijuana users (abst - 2007) Taylor & Francis Online :: Acute effects of smoked marijuana on decision making, as assessed by a modified gambling task, in experienced marijuana users* - Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology - Volume 29, Issue 4

Cannabis Intoxication Does Not Adversely Impact Decision Making
    (news - 2007) Illinois NORML - Cannabis Intoxication Does Not Adversely Impact Decision Making

The cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist CE prolongs spatial memory duration in a rat delayed radial arm maze memory task (full - 2008) The cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist CE prolongs spatial memory duration in a rat delayed radial arm maze memory task

Blunted Psychotomimetic and Amnestic Effects of Δ-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Frequent Users of Cannabis (full – 2008) Neuropsychopharmacology - Blunted Psychotomimetic and Amnestic Effects of [Delta]-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Frequent Users of Cannabis

Multiple sclerosis, cannabinoids, and cognition. (full - 2008) PsychiatryOnline | The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences | Multiple Sclerosis, Cannabinoids, and Cognition

Neurocognitive performance during acute THC intoxication in heavy and occasional cannabis users.
    (abst - 2008)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Neurocognitive performance during acute THC intoxication in heavy and occasional cannabis users. PubMed Journal article

Review: executive functioning and cannabis use. (abst - 2008)
    Unbound MEDLINE | [Review: executive functioning and cannabis use]. PubMed Journal article abstract

Marijuana Primes, Marijuana Expectancies, and Arithmetic Efficiency (full - 2009)
    Marijuana Primes, Marijuana Expectancies, and Arithmetic Efficiency

Endocannabinoids in the rat basolateral amygdala enhance memory consolidation and enable glucocorticoid modulation of memory (full - 2009)
    From the Cover: Endocannabinoids in the rat basolateral amygdala enhance memory consolidation and enable glucocorticoid modulation of memory

Is moderate substance use associated with altered executive functioning in a population-based sample of young adults? (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Is moderate substance use associated with altered executive functioning in a population-based sample of young adults? PubMed Journal article

Cannabidiol ameliorates cognitive and motor impairments in bile-duct ligated mice via 5-HT1A receptor activation. (full – 2010)
    Cannabidiol ameliorates cognitive and motor impairments in bile-duct ligated mice via 5-HT1A receptor activation

Impact of cannabidiol on the acute memory and psychotomimetic effects of smoked cannabis: naturalistic study: naturalistic study (abst – 2010)
    Impact of cannabidiol on the acute memory an... [Br J Psychiatry. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Evaluating the effect of Cannabis sativa seed extraction on memory (abst - 2010)
    AGP | Full text | Evaluating the effect of Cannabis sativa seed extraction on memory

Influence of cannabis use trajectories, grade repetition and family background on the school-dropout rate at the age of 17 years in France. (abst - 2010)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Influence of cannabis use trajectories, grade repetition and family background on the school-dropout rate at the age of 17 years in France. PubMed Journal article abstract

Evaluating the effect of aquatic extraction of Cannabis sativa seed on spatial memory consolidation
    (abst - 2010) AGP | Full text | Evaluating the effect of aquatic extraction of Cannabis sativa seed on spatial memory consolidation

Opposite Effects of Δ-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol and Cannabidiol on Human Brain Function and Psychopathology (abst - 2010) Neuropsychopharmacology - Opposite Effects of [Delta]-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol and Cannabidiol on Human Brain Function and Psychopathology

Impact of cannabidiol on the acute memory and psychotomimetic effects of smoked cannabis: naturalistic study. (abst - 2010) Impact of cannabidiol on the acute memory an... [Br J Psychiatry. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Key ingredient staves off marijuana memory loss (news - 2010)
    Key ingredient staves off marijuana memory loss : Nature News

Imbalance of Cannabis ChemicalsCauses Memory Issues (news – 2010)
    Imbalance of Cannabis Chemicals Causes Memory Issues

Key ingredient dilutes marijuana's effect on memory. (news – 2010)
    Key ingredient dilutes marijuana's effect on memory. - Free Online Library

Marijuana May Offset Alcohol-Induced Cognitive Impairment Among Teens
    (news – 2010) Marijuana May Offset Alcohol-Induced Cognitive Impairment Among Teens

AM251, cannabinoids receptors ligand, improves recognition memory in rats.
    (full – 2011) http://www.if-pan.krakow.pl/pjp/pdf/2011/3_670.pdf

Sex, drugs, and cognition: effects of marijuana. (full– 2011) Sex, Drugs, and Cognition: Effects of Marijuana

Possible involvement of the endocannabinoid system in memory modulation effect of general anesthetics (abst - 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Possible involvement of the endocannabinoid system in memory modulation effect of general anesthetics. PubMed Journal article abstract

Early onset of aging-like changes is restricted to cognitive abilities and skin structure in Cnr1(-/-) mice. (abst – 2011) Early onset of aging-like changes is restric... [Neurobiol Aging. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Memory-rescuing effects of cannabidiol in an animal model of cognitive impairment relevant to neurodegenerative disorders. (abst – 2011) Memory-rescuing effects of cannabi... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Sub-chronic impact of cannabinoids in street cannabis on cognition, psychotic-like symptoms and psychological well-being. (abst – 2011) Sub-chronic impact of cannabinoids in street can... [Psychol Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Combined effects of THC and caffeine on working memory in rats. (abst – 2011)
    Combined effects of THC and caffeine on worki... [Br J Pharmacol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

The Dopamine and Cannabinoid Interaction in the Modulation of Emotions and Cognition: Assessing the Role of Cannabinoid CB1 Receptor in Neurons Expressing Dopamine D1 Receptors. (abst -2011)
    The Dopamine and Cannabinoid Interactio... [Front Behav Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Endocannabinoid signaling in the amygdala: anatomy, synaptic signaling, behavior, and adaptations to stress. (abst – 2011) Endocannabinoid signaling in the amygdala: anat... [Neuroscience. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Fish oil promotes survival and protects against cognitive decline in severely undernourished mice by normalizing satiety signals. (abst – 2011)
    Fish oil promotes survival and protects again... [J Nutr Biochem. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Effects of Chronic Marijuana Use on Brain Activity During Monetary Decision-Making.
    (abst – 2011) Effects of Chronic Marijuana Use on ... [Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Memory-rescuing effects of cannabidiol in an animal model of cognitive impairment relevant to neurodegenerative disorders. (abst – 2011) Memory-rescuing effects of cannabi... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

“Stoner Stupid” Myth Goes Up In Smoke (news – 2011)
    â€ËœStoner Stupidâ€â„¢ Myth Goes Up In Smoke | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Start with the news articles first! Click that first link in my sig for more, earlier stuff!:D

Granny :wave:

9. I am not sure about evidence on paper, but I can say I know a lot of smokers who have short term memory impairment..though only when it is in their systems. After a good workout and breaks from smoking there is no memory impairment. It all depends on how your short term memory is when completely sober anyway as to how much it will effect it when smoking.

10. Let's look for studies that prove marijuana benign, but in the process let us not ignore valid studies showing otherwise.

11. Good memory processing is in the genetic coding, I do know this.

12. Haven't read any of the comments and I am by no means an expert on this, I just HEARD from multiple sources (whom cannot be cited) that you don't forget, you just never remember in the first place. When something happens you register it but you never remember it. Why? Idunno. But it makes sense to me, I feel that way when I smoke. When I'm just sitting in a car or something I'm not really taking anything in, thoughts are just going in and out and so are the visuals around me. But when something of importance happens I can make a clear definition of it in my head