What does the U.S. Military have to say about weed?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by MunchiesMan78, Mar 27, 2014.

1. You always hear about wounded soldiers on TV. How they sacrificed so much for their country and how their injuries will haunt them forever. Many soldiers coming out of the Middle East and going back home are either very wounded or mentally unstable (Due to PTSD). On NBC, they are airing Prince Harry's South Pole expedition. Prince Harry is racing wounded vets in the South Pole and this documentary I'm watching took a lot of time explaining what these wounded vets had to go through. Let me get to the point and say that we all know that medical cannabis would help many of these wounded vets out (especially the ones with PTSD). Has the military ever commented on cannabis? And what did they have to say about it? If they were strongly opposed (which they most likely were) to the idea of wounded soldiers using medical cannabis, then should they be called out for it? Let's talk about this.

2. http://youtu.be/3wPc_O0zwdA?t=2m41s

3. Active Army:  :  the regulation states that all Soldiers testing positive for drugs "Shall be processed for separation."  The Army doesn't care how bad your PTSD is, get more prescriptions, don't use illegal drugs. 

The VA is a different story. 

In MMJ states they do not get involved with state legal prescriptions/recommendations for MMJ.  However, VA providers will not fill out the form for Vets. 

In non MMJ states, VA will test for drugs and deny pain meds if Vet tests positive for illegal or unprescribed drugs.  in these states they hide behind a regulation that permits, not requires, them to test for illegal drugs.  

in GCs grow forums there's actually a Colorado Vet who's an MMJ provider and doing well. 

5. Don't ask, don't tell....toke on.  IMO

6. I got tested by VA without consent and was denied pain meds.  Best thing that ever happened to me.  Pains meds suck.  MMJ great!

7. IMO part of the problem is that if soldiers actively smoked, their mind may begin to fill with thoughts that are not aligned with the military complex.

For a long time now the military has been a big business, ran like a corporation. Cannabis encourages you to be filled with peaceful thoughts. Anyone who studied the world wars and other excursions even briefly can see, historically, the profits generated by war and fear of war. Peace is not conductive to the military complex, so don't be surprised that active soldiers are prohibited from cannabis use.

Of course, cannabis is the best remedy for all stress, especially related to a soldier's. IMO we all deserve the right to utilize cannabis but this should be especially so for policemen, firemen, soldiers, etc, because they put their lives on the line, enduring great stress and danger. They need cannabis as much as anyone else.

8. Man. Gotta disagree. I sincerely believe that if you carry a weapon for a living you probably shouldn't be getting high.

Been on both sides. For a long time.

Sent from this POS ATT charges me $80/month to use.

9. I was happy to see your first post being so spot on. Personal experience didn't lead me to look up the laws, my father is a Vietnam vet who would never use MMJ but I was curious what the va had to say on the subject anyway.

As a constant smoker, not for medical reasons, and also someone who carries a firearm I almost decided to argue the post I quoted. Even while typing about the Va I hadn't yet decided to agree with you. However, removing my initial knee jerk emotional reaction I am inclined to agree as well. I'm not sure I'd agree that citizens who carry regularly and legally shouldn't be allowed to smoke but even that isn't something I feel passionate about. All that said I am still in the group of people who will never, under any circumstances, willingly hand over my firearms.

10. Hi Blade,
        I'm a carrier, too.  But I put it away if I'm stoned or drinking.  Just too much liability.  I know I give up some of my personal rights by submitting myself to VA regulations as well as submitting myself to scrutiny by carrying a weapon.  Carrying individually is certainly different that carrying on the line or outside the wire. 

VA has it wrong.  A lot of it is knee jerk after increased vet suicides tied to narcotic pain meds.  I can understand not allowing patients to use drugs which may have a synergistic effect with opiates, but not weed... 

11. I have my ccw as well. I never carry both at the same time. The last I want to do is legally defend my self only to get screwed In the butt becuse I had weed on me at the time.

12. On another note. Isn't it crazy(at least the states where I've lived) how easy and scary the training is to get CCW? I've taken several training classes and shoot some very amateur matches and it scares me how little training is required.

Sent from this POS ATT charges me $80/month to use.

Actually, the Army has made it a lot more difficult.  Reg used to say that units test 10% of Soldiers once a month and do at least 1 100% annualy.  Now reg states that units test 4% EVERY WEEK and (I may be off on this) at least 2 100% test twice a year.  It's easier not to smoke that to try to avoid.  Most get caught. 

14. Gotta say that being loving and peace minded isn't the Soldier's job.  Following lawful orders is.  Maybe Congress, the guys who really start the wars, should smoke more. 

15. Some of the people in my class. I can not even describe how bad it was.

16. Agreed, I was talking about wounded soldiers who wont ever be fighting again.  Treating PTSD and other injuries. And after a quick google search, I see that there are actually tons of vets who have been using medical marijuana to treat their symptoms.

Royce da 5'9 (rapper if you didn't know)   Actually got discharged from the Navy(I think) for using marijuana while on duty...lol.

Dude!!!!! A guy in my class when I lived in another state shot himself through the calf and it came out his heel.  22.  crazy. 

18. I can't get the video but here is the link. Watch the video in the op. My god.

Sorry op for the derail.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=455498

19. #19 Jmosley, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
    My state is Open carry legal for any legal gun owner who is of age. CCW is just paper work/background check, fingerprint and a fee. No classes whatsoever.

I was on probation when I applied for my permit, finger printed for the permit on the same machine I had been booked on the charges a year prior with even(because the jail received an upgrade the sheriffs office got a hand me down) and was approved. Probation for fairly minor things obviously but I still consider myself lucky for being approved. Have to admit that you and the other guy are more responsible then I am. Hopefully with how lax/non-existent weed laws and lax gun laws are here I'll get off easy enough in a worst case scenario. Wouldn't hold it against "them" if not though. Now this may be hard to swallow after all of that but I do genuinely consider myself a responsible gun owner. I don't get high and decide to play with them, it stays on my person much like a wallet or even a Lucky Coin.

20. #20 Justman1020, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
    New to the forum here, as someone who just got out of the military a little less than 3 years ago (May will be 3 years!) I can speak from experience::

My unit did 10 percent every week,
    100 percent every month.

without fail, atleast once a month someone would be chaptered out (kicked out) for marijuana use,

then again, I was in Washington state...so, its not surprising that someone got the boot once a month.

EDIT:: WOohoo. First post, and it gets a like. haha