Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What does Marijuana do to your brain?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Remenissions, Mar 7, 2009.

1. I mean its obvious that it makes us think in different ways. But why? What is the chemistry behind it?

2. check this out
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl5gBJGnaXs&feature=related"]YouTube - Brain On Drugs[/ame]
    any questions?

3. apperantly it makes you feel really good.

4. It stimulates the party centre of your brain and causes you to have one hell of a good time.

5. It loads your receptors up with seratonin by blocking the thing that shuts seratonin off

I THINK

But there are many different effects that aren't known

6. makes me flirty. sober i usually keep to myself but when i'm high you better believe im talking to any fine girl that comes near

7. I feel confident in doing ridiculous things like signing up and posting on a forum populated by marijuana users.

But seriously, I feel relaxed and more focused in my thoughts. Also, I do random weird things like asking random people if they want to smoke or talking to people I don't know at all but we end up having good conversations.

8. Im not asking how it makes you feel. Im saying why does it make you feel that way

9. Unlike other illegal drugs, THC binds with specific neuroreceptors in the brain and elsewhere in the body. Most drugs mimic other neurotransmitters; as it turns out we are 'wired' to respond to THC and other cannabinoids without them supplanting/replacing chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin.

Unlike alcohol and many other recreational drugs THC does no brain damage. It simply binds to receptors that are already waiting there for it to do it's work.

10. lol thats sweet, i wonder if its cuz our ancestors smoked!

11. No. It's because the body produces endogenous cannabinoids of it's own. Their use by the body is still being researched but they appear among other things to help modulate the immune system.

12. that's pretty sweet. marijuana is the best, then! :smoke:

13. That's so true. Especially at parties when everyone's smoking, I always feel so sociable. And it's amazing how if everyone always felt secure enough to talk to one another how we'd all be friends. It's cool how you can be friends with people you didn't know like five minutes earlier.

14. For me the most noticable thing pot does to my brain is make me go on random trains of thought, but the thing is, by the time I get to the front of the train, I can`t see the back of the train anymore.:p

15. This page is extremely informative. Found it by searching on google. It's really long but most of the information you want is in the second paragraph.

:)

16. #16 Hobo173, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
    THC mimics cannabinoids found in your body. Scientists believe their main purpose in the brain is to "clear" your active memory of old thoughts and memories so you can have a good time and not feel overwhelmed. They are also known to be modulated by hunger receptors in the brain. This is why food is a drug to some people.

It's like a temporary reset button and THC hits it. This is great for enjoying the moment and simpler things. However, it can be addictive for people with real problems and effects memory in all people to varying degrees.

THC on it's own doesn't do much in terms of intoxication. It must be modulated by hundreds of other compounds found in MJ. This is why different strains can give different highs even though THC is dominant.