What does it take to actually become a caregiver

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by waxmonkey, Oct 12, 2014.

1. What does it take to become an actual licensed caregiver in Colorado or California? Like what are the laws too it and what do people charge there patients and all that, I know it's a question with many answers but if anyone just has a few tips here and there that'd be dope, hope everones having a dope Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. What kind of caregiver? I am one in wa for a family member. Part of a union and everything :) pay sucks as it's state funded. But what kind are wanting to do?

3. idk like a private grower I guess? I wanna grow for patients but still be able to live off it, I know it doesn't make a boat load of money but it's more for the patients and being able to do what I enjoy as a job, what kind of caregivers are there and what kind are you in Washington? Thanks for the response !

4. I had to take some D in my bum.

5. your dumb

6. It depends on the state you reside in. New mexico you cant be a caregiver and grow for more than one person and you're self. California is pretty lax about that. I think you can even just sell straight to the dispensary's lol

7. #7 beaniegrl420, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
    Ca is not lax about it, and in fact it has been proven in court that simply providing flower, even with moderate interaction on a medical basis is NOT going to protect you as a caregiver. 

From Norml's site:   "A  "primary caregiver" is narrowly defined under Prop. 215 to be "the individual designated [by a legal patient] who has consistently assumed responsibility for the housing, health, or safety of that person."  The law does not explicitly allow patients to have multiple caregivers. In contrast, a caregiver may serve more than one patient.
    The State Supreme Court has ruled that defendants are not entitled to a caregiver defense if all they do is grow or supply medical marijuana to patients. In the case People v. Mentch (2008), the court ruled: "a defendant whose caregiving consisted principally of supplying marijuana and instructing on its use, and who otherwise only sporadically took some patients to medical appointments, cannot qualify as a primary caregiver." The court went on to specify: "a defendant asserting primary caregiver status must prove at a minimum that he or she (1) consistently provided caregiving, (2) independent of any assistance in taking medical marijuana, (3) at or before the time he or she assumed responsibility for assisting with medical marijuana."

\ncheck out that case.
    \nthat clause is there to allow family and medical professionals to acquire cannabis on their, usually terminally ill, patient's behalf. If you want to grow, start selling to dispensaries.