What does infinity minus one equal?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by srsly_stoned, Sep 14, 2007.

1. How many numbers are there between 0 and 1 (inclusive)?
    Let's count, I'll start here
    0 .5 1

and then split them into equal segments and count the number halfway inbetween them. I will continue this process until I run out of numbers,
    .25 .75
    .125 .375 .625 .875
    .0625 .1875 .3125 ....
    ah shit guys i gotta run, could someone finish this off and express, in a meaningful way, how many numbers you counted?

2. Not necessarily -- it's all based on the assumption that the existence of the universe if infinite. It could quite possibly be quite finite. If there is an end to space-time, than time is not infinite.

Still just a mathematical concept as far as I'm concerned.

3. You have completely contradicted yourself here.

First you say "there is no such thing as infinity", which is fine if thats what you believe....but you never used the phrase "I believe". Then you follow that up with something along the lines of "even if it exists, it cant be proven".

4. Infinity is real. Infinity is when you put 2 mirrors in between you and two walls close to each other. When you look in one of the mirrors, and you see mass lots of reflections of yourself, thats infinity, lol.

5. With all these examples of infinity (time, sand, w/e) the problem is these are real-world examples

infinity isnt a real number, you cant count up to infinity. Thus anything countable will never reach infinity. For example with time, you can 'fastforward' 100000x years then 10000001 years, etc. but nomatter what year you fast-forward to, you can never reach the finite/infinite line because it doesnt exist. The real number line never ends (and infinity is greater than all real numbers, thus it cant exist as anything but a mathematical concept), you can always add 1 or .1 or 50 to any given number and your sum will always be another number

I think this is sorta what azimuthal was tryin to get at (and what i was earlier)

there are an infinite amount of numbers between [0, 1] but you can divide that up until you die and you will never have an infinite amount of numbers
    likewise there are an infinate amount of number between [.000000001, .000000002]

So again, if you have a quantized amount of something, or anything in the real-world you cant have an infinite amount

6. I see your point.

But- even if our universe collapse on itself do objects not still exist (even in other unverses- if they exist)?

And if objects do exist are they moving?

And if they are moving how is that calculated without time?

Time is considered a fundemental quantity along with speed and distance.

I do not think you can destroy the presence of these things- the units of measure may change, but thats about it.

And yes- our uiverse may not be infinite, but just because its presence is not infinite does not mean time does not exist after.

Again- our time is based on our universe so the way time is measured will change, but it doesn't necessarily mean time will cease to exist if our universe does not.

7. I do not think you understand what space-time is.

Space-time is the literal construct of our universe, aside from energy. Without it, nothing can exist, and neither can anything have a duration.

8. You're right spacetime does confuse the hell out of me- but technically this is just how we choose to measure time.

Just because our universe does not exist does not mean that time is destroyed. It may destroy space time or whatever- but time still goes on. It just does not effect our universe.

I wish you would explain how space time controls all time ever- even before/after our universe.

9. According to space-time, you're wrong. If you reject the theory of space-time, that's fine.

It doesn't. Nothing controlled the nonexistent space before the universe existed, because ... it didn't exist! It was nothingness. Don't think about it because it didn't exist!

10. Quite right.

Seems to me like you've been reading some science books, Mr. Blonde. :cool:

11. infinite/infinite=infinite

infinite*0(infinite)=infinite

infinite-infinite=infinite

The last link is the same thing, it isn't any larger it's still infinite. He's just multiplying infinity by infinity which equals infinity. Put two mirrors together it's all the same thing over and over again. All things times all things equals all things, there are no more things to 'count'. Counting is actually possible but still pointless as there is no real final number to arrive at.

Infinity times infinity is just like two mirrors held up together with something in the middle,but that 'something' is infinite. You can say it's twice or how ever many times as much but it's actually just a reflection, infinity is all there is or could be. All numbers times all numbers is still all numbers.

It's funny though... Infinity doesn't equal anything LOL ...except infinity ;)

12. Until we, as human beings, can find an unlimited source of renewable energy, we need not even trouble ourselves with the idea of infinity.

The only place infinity exists is way out there in outer space- in theory. Maybe theres an end to the universe. We dont know.

Nothing within our range of relevant thought is infinite. We are, for the most part, confined to this planet, and the limitations that come along with being stuck here. So, infinity is a moot point. Even infinity as a simple mathematical concept is relatively useless, since it isn't applicable to anything within our reach. Except the end of the universe. And we can't get there. So who gives a fuck? ;)

13. Hydrogen = is the infinite renewable source we need to implement. See the cool thing about a hydrogen powered vehicle is that the exhaust would be H2O which would be routed back into an intake of sorts to have the hydrogen extracted back out. Zero Emissions, no fossil fuel. (But if it even came close to market, somehow OPEC would put out a hit on the designer)

14. If it exists, it doesnt exist "way out there"....it exists right here. You are just as much a part of it as it is a part of you.

....except thought itself.

15. true... bet eventually, after being recycled a gillion times, it would run out. everytime it is cycled back it would lose atoms at a time. eventually running out. but the time that would take its quite long...all that would have to be done is pour a little water in.... that is to say there was a machine that took the exhaust (H20) and separated the H and brought it back into the "hyrdrogen pump" of whatever it may be.

it would be similar to black holes..... they leak out a micrscopic fraction of their total intake...so, in theory, they will eventually eat themselves inside out into nothing. and the leakage goes to the 11th dimension :D.... space time is trippy

16. What you said here is the hydrogen motor is a perputual motion machine because there is no emission....
    no reaction is perfectly efficient, we will eventually run out of hydrogen...
    but ya it def looks like hydrogen may fuel us for a loong time tho

my roomate is doing research on hydrogen fuel cells with the Materials dept here at UF.

17. infinity - infinity = 0

subtracting infinity from itself will cancel infinity out. so it's 0.

18. ^ 0 is infinite too. no definition minus no definition equals no definition.

The equation could be written 0-0=0

Notice how the zero is a loop, just like the infinity sign.

19. inf - inf cannot just be 1 answer

in general, inf - inf = indeterminate

it depends on 'which' infinity you are talking about.

as i mentioned before, there is no one infinity, how infinity behaves depends on how you define it

an infinite series will behave differently than an infinite set

infinity is not a number, not even in math, infinity is a just concept. It is usually helpful to think of infinity as a number, but thats when you reach fallacies by asking what
    infinity (some algebraic expression) =

you cant just say infinity/C = infinity ; C is a arbitrary constant

because infinity/C sometimes is an actual number

20. It would be if infinity wasn't all possible numbers and beyond, but the (hypothetical) equation is 0*C

infinity is no definition, so anything times it has no definition as well.

What you are running into is trying to define it in rational terms, the best definition of infinity is no definition. It's irrational so it can only be represented as irrational.

But actual numbers and infinity really don't go hand in hand no matter how you slice it ;)