What does "God" mean to you?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Mist425, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Title basically sums it up... I'm just curious what everyone's notion of God is.

I've never really liked the idea of God as some ancient man in white robes/long beard or what have you. God to me is essentially reality. God to me is reason; it's natural law. God to me is physics. God to me is the fact that creatures which can sense or at least interact with their surroundings exist (not just humans, but beasts, even bacteria).

I know that's all probably very vague but I think definitions of something along the lines of God sort of have to be... So what do you guys think about the subject?

2. I am my own god, and I am the master of my universe.
    Nobody controls my fate but me, an my decisions are ultimately my responsibility.
    I am intelligent enough to comem up with my own morals, which fit in line with our species' evolutionary thinking.

I am an I-Thiest :)

3. Nice. I like that a lot

4. #5 dirtybongwater, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2009
  5. #6 Reinstate Mary, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
    God means the term that best described an out of body experience that some one had long ago, and since then it has been misconstrued. "God is I, I is god". Its a parallelogram for the parallel thought.

6. Energy. Everything. The Universe.

Or in a dualistic approach, everything not under my control.

7. Temper tantrums, control, greed, monopoly. I don't know what God exactly means to me, but those were the first words to pop in my mind when I thought of God.

8. Everything we don't yet understand.
    When we know it, it becomes science.

9. Wanna elaborate?

10. my view on god is that he is anything and everythign that happens
    since a god is "divine ruler of the universe" and the main controlo over anything is action and reaction
    then anything that acts and reacts is technically contorling the universe.
    thats just me.

11. only through pain can you get joy.

If you do not know how to feel pain, joy is no relevant.

Laws of Existence bro...LAWS OF EXISTENCE.

12. creator....the ultimate scientist!!!!

13. a mesh of consiousness. everything is part of god and is equally one with God.
    separation is an illusion, and we are all One. I am God. You are God, etc.

14. Everything is everything.
    To me it's just a reflection of the human spirit and intelligence.:cool:

15. You didn't actually read what I posted did you? "Laws of existence" don't apply when the definition of God is broken.

Unless you define God as an evil being who has no to little control over his universe then It cannot exist, in the strong sense of the word God at least. Since the OP is using the capitalized form of God then we must address God in such a manner. Therefore a God cannot exist but a god can. This is because a god is not limited with the qualities that Epicurus mentioned.

:smoking:

16. The fantasy of God is the truth and wisdom that helps me find my way.
    It may could really exist. But giving birth is hell.
    :wave:

17. Fowler's paradox again? Everybody knows this is a wash. An all knowing, all powerful, all benevolent entity could exist, you just have to place us into perspective. First of all, there is truth in that without evil, good does not exist, as these are opposites defined only by their opposition to each other. Now, this God would want to bring the maximum amount of good into the universe. Maybe we are part of that. Not now, but later it could be. Also heaven, eternal life/good can qualify our squalid existence on the earth. And you just look at it that if God made intelligent creatures, they would eventually feel pain. So either he could make them, or not make them. But would the world really be better off if nothing ever existed? I honestly don't think so. Also we as humans are incapable of understanding the motivations and reasonings of any God there may be, so to assume we understand almost anything about God is fairly foolhardy.

18. I think you've given grammar way too much power.

I love how if "God" is not perfect by your nonsensical definitions, he instantly becomes an "evil being who has no to little control over his Universe." Seems like an awful large gap in between 'prefect grand-master' and 'evil little being'... no?

I don't know what Universe you live in, but I cannot remotely figure out why anybody here on Earth would imagine a "perfect God." Whether you want that God to exist or not. ;)

19. Perfection in the West seems to be non-self-contradictory.

Perfection in the East seems to be absolutely least problematic.

Perfection's intension is intensive.