Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

what does 420 mean?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Brah in44, Oct 4, 2010.

1. i heard that its the 420 chemical is marijuana? but i don't believe it cause how are there chemicals if its all natural? can anybody shed some light on this?

2. I thought it was a police code or something for possession, maybe smoking...idk really.

3. i had heard back in college it was like the cop code for "cannabis smoking in progress"....you know, like all crimes have a number code?...there are LOTS of explanations to 420 thats for sure....:smoke:

4. The number itself does have intrinsic properties making it highly suitable for such rituals. The supposed origin may be called into question by recent discoveries which suggest a far more ancient significance could be ascribed to the modern use of this number. In fact the Hebrew word for "smoke" or "vapour",עשן, which has a precise numerical value like all Hebrew letters and words, is equivalent to the number 420. To the reader familiar with the unique numerological use of Hebrew letters this value would be immediately apparent.

420 (cannabis culture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. that makes more sense. my drug counselor doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about

6. They very rarely do.

7. I don't know what it means, but I know that it happens twice a day and at both times, I'm usually blazin'.

8. In 1971 a group of San Rafael High School students, called the Waldos, used to gather around 4:20pm to smoke marijuana, so "420" became the slang for signifying the time to light up. It later evolved into a term for potheads or just for the drug itself.
    Coincidentally, it was Hitler's birthday. But it is an urban legend that there is any connection. There are also rumors that 420 was a police code for a marijuana violation, but this is unproven.

9. I heard that it was a time when a few kids from a high school in Cali in the 70's used to meet up and smoke weed together most days after class. 4:20 was the time they would meet and smoke. Could be b.s I don't know.

10. It has multiple meanings. But... it is the best fucking day of the year! and plus 9 days later its my B day ahaha. :D

11. she feeds so much bs. i'm constantly questioning her and she never has an answer lol

12. ^^^ This.

It doesn't really matter that much how it started,but now 420 means get stoned lol.

13. bruh 420 is the International Smoke Day dude your suppose to start smoking at 4:20 A.M and dont end till 4:20 P.M!:smoke:

14. thanks man

15. maybe april 20th man! cannabis day! seriously though maybe thats it...

16. it could also be interpreted as 42 being the answer to life,
    and 0 signalling the pots that marijuana is grown in.

so the answer to life, in marijuana.

of course i just made that up right now,
    except for the 42 reference alluding to hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

17. random fact: san rafael is my home town. ive also smoked at the place where they blazed after school at 4:20

18. No way mine is 10 days later!

19. The story is that a group of guys (Waldo's) in the 1970's made 4:20 their official meeting time to smoke marijuana after school. Whether or not 4:20 p.m. is the best time of day for your first hit depends on your own body, your own needs. Some folks feel that waiting until 4:20 enhances ones appreciation of the herb. Of course, your mileage may vary.

While some marijuana smokers are using 420 as a code that enables them to openly speak about marijuana in front of parents or teachers. 420 has been to some, a sacred symbol for nearly 30 years.

Simply put, 420 is a symbol of cannabis and its culture. Today, April 20th events are international, and 4:20 pm has become sort of a world wide "burn time".

Known 420 Myths

Police dispatch code for smoking pot is 420.
    The number 420 is not police radio code for anything, anywhere. Checks of criminal codes suggest that the origin is neither Californian nor federal. For instance, California Penal Code 420 defines as a misdemeanor the hindrance of use of public lands.

There are approximately 420 active chemicals in marijuana.
    Actually, there are approximately 315 active chemicals in marijuana. This number goes up and down depending on which plant is used.

April 20th is National Pot Smokers Day.
    Well, it is now :) ; but that wasn't the origin.

April 20th is Hitler's birthday.
    Yes, it is his birthday. But, as 420 started out as a time, not a date, his birthday had nothing to do with it.

The date of the Columbine school shootings.
    This happened after the term was already in use.

4:20 is tea time for pot-smokers in Holland.
    Tea time in Holland is at 5:30 pm, or is it 2:30 pm? Seems no one is quite sure when the wonderful people of Holland drink their tea.

What is 420?

20. Haha thats bad ass man. I bet that spot is kinda sketchy isnt it? I though it was like in the middle of a field type place.