1. Win a $250 shopping spree at Grasscity.com! To enter subscribe to our youtube channel.
    Dismiss Notice

What does 420 mean?

Discussion in 'General' started by g0pher, Jan 25, 2009.

1. I've heard this term used plenty b4 here on GC but i still dont have a clue what it means (i got wished a happy 420 post, an i was like whuh?? lol :p)

Someone care to fill me in?

2. Hey man, do a search.

That's like... you shouldn't ask that shit man... get your ass kicked around here. ;)

3. If this post was serious,,,,,, shit i don't even know what to think.

4. Serious as fuck, I dont have a clue what it means dude:smoke:

5. www.google.com

Type 420

Read.

6. over 600 posts and dont know what 420 means? come on

7. Sucks i know, i never really paid attention to it.

8. Wow man. Google it.

Back in the 70s or something these kids decided to meet after school at 4:20 so they could bake. The number has spread out and gained tons of popularity.

9. It took me a while to even care about looking it up too, but I still don't know how much I care about it. I mean when it's 4:20, we make sure everyone sitting around hits some kind of piece, or the blunt, joint, whatever.

Other than that, yeah I still giggle at work and shit when totals are like $4.20 or that's the change.

Some people acknowledge the $4.20, and those are usually the kids that I'm usually like "Word" to.

10. Although there are many explanations for the origin of the term, one stems from a story about a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California in 1971. The teens would meet after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke marijuana at the Louis Pasteur statue. The exact time was chosen because that was the time that afternoon detention was dismissed.[1] The term became part of their group's salute, "420 Louis!",[2] and became popularized in the late 1980s by fans of the Grateful Dead.[3]By extension April 20 ("4/20" in U.S. date notation) has evolved into a counterculture holiday, where people gather to celebrate and consume cannabis.[4] In some locations this celebration coincides with Earth Week.[5][6][7] In Dunedin, New Zealand, students at the University of Otago and other cannabis law reform activists meet under a walnut tree on the Otago University Union Lawn on Wednesdays and Fridays at 4:20pm to openly smoke cannabis in public in what they consider an 'act of protest'.[8][9][10]

11. 420 means alot man,it means time to smoke,,it is a international calling to smoke,say u was in gods country ( ireland )
    seamus orielly=aye lad today is april 20th i think i shall have a wee toke
    in america
    john smith=dam dawg,its april 20th lets smoke and celebrate marijuana day
    in japan
    itchiro nakakawasakihondasuzuki
    oh my its 4:19 lad hurry and roll that spliff before smoke time

it has many meanings,,but the same one around the world is SMOKE TIME
    or a way to find another smoker

12. LOL at your Japanese translation, +rep.

To OP, don't feel bad, I just kinda assumed what these guys have written about 4:20. In all honesty, I too didn't know the true origin, I just knew that it means it's time to smoke.

13. #15 xtiffany, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  14. being a long time member of a stoner forum and not know what 4:20 is. (if he's serious)

thats like a baker not knowing how much 2 cups is.

15. It is funny, because I never noticed 420 at all until I started partaking in the herb approx. a year ago. Now I see 420 on receipts, the clock, radios, people talking, gas prices were even 420!! It is everywhere, and I like others, giggle. It's 420 somewhere every hour! :smoking:

16. #20 hella chronic, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009

thast 10 minutes from my house...:hello:

edit: san rafeal high i mean

Grasscity Deals Near You