What does 420 mean?

Discussion in 'General' started by g0pher, Jan 25, 2009.

1. I've heard this term used plenty b4 here on GC but i still dont have a clue what it means (i got wished a happy 420 post, an i was like whuh?? lol :p)

Someone care to fill me in?

2. Hey man, do a search.

That's like... you shouldn't ask that shit man... get your ass kicked around here. ;)

3. If this post was serious,,,,,, shit i don't even know what to think.

4. Serious as fuck, I dont have a clue what it means dude:smoke:

5. www.google.com

Type 420

Read.

6. over 600 posts and dont know what 420 means? come on

7. Sucks i know, i never really paid attention to it.

8. Wow man. Google it.

Back in the 70s or something these kids decided to meet after school at 4:20 so they could bake. The number has spread out and gained tons of popularity.

9. It took me a while to even care about looking it up too, but I still don't know how much I care about it. I mean when it's 4:20, we make sure everyone sitting around hits some kind of piece, or the blunt, joint, whatever.

Other than that, yeah I still giggle at work and shit when totals are like $4.20 or that's the change.

Some people acknowledge the $4.20, and those are usually the kids that I'm usually like "Word" to.

10. Although there are many explanations for the origin of the term, one stems from a story about a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California in 1971. The teens would meet after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke marijuana at the Louis Pasteur statue. The exact time was chosen because that was the time that afternoon detention was dismissed.[1] The term became part of their group's salute, "420 Louis!",[2] and became popularized in the late 1980s by fans of the Grateful Dead.[3]By extension April 20 ("4/20" in U.S. date notation) has evolved into a counterculture holiday, where people gather to celebrate and consume cannabis.[4] In some locations this celebration coincides with Earth Week.[5][6][7] In Dunedin, New Zealand, students at the University of Otago and other cannabis law reform activists meet under a walnut tree on the Otago University Union Lawn on Wednesdays and Fridays at 4:20pm to openly smoke cannabis in public in what they consider an 'act of protest'.[8][9][10]

11. 420 means alot man,it means time to smoke,,it is a international calling to smoke,say u was in gods country ( ireland )
    seamus orielly=aye lad today is april 20th i think i shall have a wee toke
    in america
    john smith=dam dawg,its april 20th lets smoke and celebrate marijuana day
    in japan
    itchiro nakakawasakihondasuzuki
    oh my its 4:19 lad hurry and roll that spliff before smoke time

it has many meanings,,but the same one around the world is SMOKE TIME
    or a way to find another smoker

12. LOL at your Japanese translation, +rep.

To OP, don't feel bad, I just kinda assumed what these guys have written about 4:20. In all honesty, I too didn't know the true origin, I just knew that it means it's time to smoke.

13. #15 xtiffany, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  14. being a long time member of a stoner forum and not know what 4:20 is. (if he's serious)

thats like a baker not knowing how much 2 cups is.

15. It is funny, because I never noticed 420 at all until I started partaking in the herb approx. a year ago. Now I see 420 on receipts, the clock, radios, people talking, gas prices were even 420!! It is everywhere, and I like others, giggle. It's 420 somewhere every hour! :smoking:

16. #20 hella chronic, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009

thast 10 minutes from my house...:hello:

edit: san rafeal high i mean