Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

what does 4:20 means?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Xualk Zoak, May 14, 2004.

1. seems like many people have it in them sigs so i was wondering is it some kind of code or thing

2. hahah... hahahahah.... hahah ha ok im done.. lol

//edit --- ok i saw hes from peru so i take the laughter back as far as i know its predominately a US thing or no?

3. it is the code cops use over their cb radios when they are making a drug bust for marijuana i only know this because my friend got busted and was riding in the cop car and the radio said they were on their way to a 420 already in progress and that he asked the cop wat a 420 was and the cop told him it meant they were making a drug bust for weed

4. ^^^ i thought that was like a myth or sumthing

theres a thread that was posted a while back about how 420 got started.

5. ok so its :

1) the code police use
    2) People made a joke out of it and now its like the oficial weed day

i get it now :p

thnaks all for the info

6. yeah, 420's the call for possession of marijuana........

its also Hitlers birthday and supposebly the national drug day, lol..........

if u smoke on 420 ayday, u will get 420 vision:).......

7. Everyone who considers himself in the know about the drug subculture has heard that '420' has something to do with illegal drug use, but when you press them, they never seem to know why, or even what the term supposedly signifies.

It's both more and less than people make it out to be. '420' began its sub-rosa linguistic career in 1971 as a bit of slang casually used by a group of high school kids at San Rafael High School in California. '420' (always pronounced "four-twenty," never "four hundred and twenty") came to be an accepted part of the argot within that group of about a dozen pot smokers, beginning as a reminder of the time they planned to meet to light up, 4:20 p.m. Keep in mind this wasn't a general call to all dope smokers everywhere to toke up at twenty past four every day; it was twelve kids who'd made a date to meet near a certain statue. It's thus incorrect to deem that '420' originated as a national or international dope-smoking time, even though the term began as a reference to a particular time of day.

These days '420' is used as a generic way of declaring one likes to use marijuana or just as a term for the substance itself. Its earliest connotation of having to do with the time a certain group of students congregated to smoke wacky tobaccy is unknown to the overwhelming majority of those who now employ the term. Indeed, most instead believe one or more of the many spurious explanations that have since grown up about this much abused short form:

420 is the penal code section for marijuana use in California.
    Nope. Section 420 of the California penal code refers to obstructing entry on public land. The penal codes of other states list different entries for 420, but none of them matches anything having to do with marijuana.

It's the Los Angeles or New York police radio code for marijuana smoking in progress.
    It's not the police radio code for anything, let alone that.

It's the number of chemical compounds in marijuana.
    The number of chemical compounds in marijuana is 315, according to the folks at High Times magazine.

April 20 is the date that Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, or Janis Joplin died.
    Though these performers were strongly identified with drug use during their brief lifetimes and the emerging drug culture after their demises, none of them kicked the bucket on April 20. Morrison died on July 3, Hendrix on September 18, and Joplin on October 4.

The 20th of April is the best time to plant marijuana.
    There's no one "best time" -- that answer would change from one part of the country to another, or even one country to another.

Albert Hofmann took the first deliberate LSD trip at 4:20 on 19 April 1943.
    This was indeed the case -- his lab notes back this up. But this wasn't the source of "420," just an oddball coincidence. (For the pedants out there, Hofmann's first LSD trip, which was accidental, took place on 16 April 1943.)

It's the code you send to your drug dealer's pager.
    Yeah, right. All drug dealers recognize a '420' page as "Please be waiting on the corner with my baggie of wildwood weed."

When the Grateful Dead toured, they always stayed in Room 420.
    Untrue, says Grateful Dead Productions spokesman Dennis McNally.

Spurious etymologies and uncertain definition aside, '420' has slipped into a position of semi-respectability within the English lexicon. Various free-wheeling cities annually celebrate "hemp fests" on April 20. There's a 4:20 record label in California, and a band called 4:20. Atlanta's Sweetwater Brewing Co. sells its 420 Pale Ale in supermarkets and opens its doors to the public at 4:20 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays. New York's 420 Tours sells low-cost travel packages to the Netherlands and Jamaica. Highway 420 Radio broadcasts "music for the chemically enhanced." And in 2001, the forReal.org web site of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Center for Substance Abuse Prevention put out a public service document titled, "It's 4:20 -- Do You Know Where Your Teen Is?"

420s are routinely slipped into popular movies and television shows. In Fast Times at Ridgemont High the score of the football game was 42-0. Most of the clocks in Pulp Fiction are set to 4:20 (but not all -- when the kid receives the watch it's set at 9:00). And there are many other instances, so keep your eyes peeled.

However, as amusing as it is to tie 420 to pot smoking and hunt for it in popular movies, the number has its dark side. Hitler was born on 20 April 1889, and the massacre of 13 victims at Columbine High School in Colorado took place on 20 April 1999.

Full article located here:
    http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.htm

8. very true.......

but it is a police call for possession........

9. very nice info IndianaToker

i begun reading your post and then i felt like toking, tghen i toke then i finished readin your post then now im realy high but very good stuff on the info

anyways seems 420 indeed have to do with weed so thats what it is

wel hope i make sense

420 4:20 4/20 4 20 all just the same its just a kind of weed joke :D

10. omg where fonts so big last time? i saw the font and looks like the are at size 20 woah

11. yeah...i didnt read all of what indianatoker said, but it could also be the full name for THC, Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. delta means 4, and there are 20 letters in tetrahydrocannabinol hence, 4-20. At least that is one of the many ways that 4-20 came to be, most likey though, is the police one.

12. Actually its Tetrahydrocannabinol-delta-9.. so 20-4? nawww, lol, ^^yours is wrong^

13. Its the Waldos. No police, no lettering. 4:20 o clock. The waldos. and use the gad damn search button.

14. ummmm THC101....enough said.

P.S.
    Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol

15. ^^ no need for name calling, ass. :D

for real 101... what's up.. you should know.

And yea.. 420 surely isn't a police code. Trust me, everyone has scanners where I live, and there are plenty of weed bust, never has there been a call for a 420.

edit: 10 more post till 420.

16. lol

I read in some pot history book 420 was an old police code from the early 90's late 80's.

17. delta is a greek letter, it's only relation to numbers is that in physics it stands for change.

18. Maybe we should post 420 times on thins thread thingy and then we can say 4:20 is from the city's post on 420. Shit

that would be cool cuz i'd be a 4:20 founder..

thats deep

19. #19 canabisk1ng, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010

wrong, its four twenty because some famous stoner used to always burn with his friends at 4:20 after school, forgot his name but ive looked it up and its true, it isnt the code for drug busts because...its just not. no offense but your story sounds like absolute bull shit, OR because i dont want to bash your story as that could have happened, the cop was just using 4-20 as slang and it isnt the legit code

EDIT: just a little article about 420
    According to Steven Hager, editor of High Times, the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos. The term 420 was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. ``Waldo Steve,' a member of the group who now owns a business in San Francisco, says the Waldos would salute each other in the school hallway and say ``420 Louis!' The term was one of many invented by the group, but it was the one that caught on. The Waldos contacted Hager, and presented him with evidence of 420's history, primarily a collection of postmarked letters from the early '70s with lots of mention of 420. They also started a Web site, waldo420.com. ``We have proof, we were the first,' Waldo Steve said. ``I mean, it's not like we wrote a book or invented anything. We just came up with a phrase. But it's kind of an honor that this emanated from San Rafael

20. dude, this thread is 6 years old...