What do you think?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GENTECH, Sep 22, 2009.

1. #1 GENTECH, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
    Being how this is my first time I started off with a variety of pretty good bag seed. All 16 that I germinated, sprouted and took off. They grew healthy under 1 250w light but realized that as they got taller I needed more lumens. I couldn't throw the $$$ down on another HPS ballast assembly and was getting worried........ until I struck gold and was given one to try and fix. If I could fix it, I could have it. I'm in power generation for a living so it didn't take much to figure out and got that baby workin in about an hour (lol with no parts I might add:cool: ).

I started my 12/12 cycle 2 weeks ago (vegged for 2 1/2 months) with only 1 or 2 showing sex early. I ended up with 8 fems out of the 16 I planted. I got both lights (the HPS to MH conversion bulb and the HPS), for a total of 500w, on them now and they've responded very well. They were growing pretty slow until that extra light came into the picture and it makes me wonder where they would be if I had it but what can ya do. I have 4 or 5 plants that are 9 leaf and 1 showing 10 leaves. Is it supposed to be 11 leaf and just not developed yet? I forgot to take a pic of it but I probably will today. Do they look more like a sativa or indica strain? I have these pics to show right now. A couple are with a cam phone but the majority are with a real camera. Let me know what you think! Any advice is appreciated and a big thanks for takin the time to read this!

Attached Files:

2. There we go pics up.... had technical difficulties lol

3. dang, that bad huh? lol

4. they look like sativas. the characteristics are longer skinnier leaves, rather than shorter fatter leaves. i think sativas are the nicer highs, and it looks like they're healthy so far, so good luck and keep us updated!!!!

5. Thanks for the info. I hope they stay healthy and produce a hearty yield.

6. In a 24hour period they grew 1 1/4 inches. Is that normal to see? That much of a difference in growth on a day to day basis? lol to me thats amazing. I really enjoy growing and its so damn cool to see these changes happen so fast.

Anyway, here's some more pics I took last night........

Attached Files:

7. Alright well its been about a week and I thought I'd show some updated pics. These ladies are starting to out grow the grow room. Is there any way I can stop the vertical growth? They've grown around 8 inches throughout this past week. This is my first grow, it seems like things are right and these ladies are lovin life but I hope the yield is nice..... Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

8. Here's the rest I took tonight...........

Attached Files:

9. the very last pic looks reeeeally cool, & healthy i may add haha. i am curious to see what comes about from the bag seed.....looks like it musta been a pretty darn good bag! ill make sure & check back on this thread....

10. Thanks man! It was decent stuff, nothin special. Yeah I like the last pic too. Thats a 2 ft cola (I believe thats called a cola. Its a overhead shot of the right branch from the 2nd to last pic on the page). The funny thing is with this last batch of pics I posted Jpegs 002-006 were from a plant that was not growing any larger than about 2 inches tall and only on 3 leaves for about 1 1/2 months. Then all of a sudden it started to catch up. Now, I mean, it's still the smallest plant but now it looks like its producing the best bud in the grow. It's getting crystals on the leaves in some of the denser areas on the plant. Its pretty cool to see something fight to live and pull through, then to end up competing for its own braggin rights lol. The pictures don't do any justice and I'm not that savy with a cam anyways so I wish I could get it down to give you guys a better look at things. The tallest one is getting close to 4 ft. Well see..........

11. wow gentech, they're getting big!!! so you started 12/12 on Sept. 7? are your plants still stretching? i started my 12/12 on Sept. 10th and it looks like they're slowing down. all of the plants show buds already and some are a bit further along than others. do you think yours are going to grow upwards much more or do you think from now on they'll invest more time and energy into bud production?

12. by the way, if they're getting too tall, take the top branches that are closest to the lights and bend them down (i've seen bends that were over 90 degrees, but i wouldn't risk bending it more than that). tie them in place for a day or two until they get used to the new position and they should keep growin! all the buds will start pointing up and when they look adjusted to the new position you can untie the plants.

a couple of days ago i gave my super silver haze plants away because they were pushing 4ft and i was worried they'd overgrow my tent and crowd out everything else. as soon as i got to my buddy's place he took the plants and bent them over into a upside down U shape!! he did it slowly and carefully, but managed to make a 4ft tall plant a 2ft tall plant and even more bud sites are exposed to better light now instead of just the main cola hogging all the light usually.

13. Thanks Boulder! Thats a good idea, I've read about bending them but I've been kinda like in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. I'll try and do that tonight and see what happens. Yeah they're still stretching man, around an inch a day!!! Thats my problem, although not a terrible problem. I've topped all of them at least once (I had 1 successful FIM lol). I wonder if its wise to top during flowering? None the less, I'm thinking/hoping I'll have a pretty nice harvest. I'm also gonna give them some molasses for the first time as well. I see people suggest that to promote better flowering. I want to get a top quality strain like yours are and try that out if I do a second grow. What type of nutes do you use? I have some SUPERthrive I've been using lately and I also use Bloom Booster???? (can't remember off hand, I'll look at the name tonight) but I know its 11-35-11. I wonder how long these strains will need to flower for because it seems like they're in no hurry lol.

14. when you bend them over, grab a sturdy upper part of the main stems and gently pull them over. you can (with your other hand) sort of train the rest of the stem to bend over and then tie the sturdy upper part down with something.

i wouldn't top the plant while its flowering a few weeks into it. that's probably going to be your largest nug, and you don't wanna chop that down.

be careful with giving them anything new.. i'd do a lot of reading on it (as you probably already have). i use the 3 part GH, i'm at 1200ppm, and i added 1/2 strength Kool Bloom. i bought a small bottle of superthrive and used it for one res change when i switched from veg to flowering. i figured i'd give it some vitamins and all to help with any stress from that.

15. The fert I'm using is Orchid Bloom Booster 11-35-15. I never got around to tying the colas down or buying some molasses today because I had to work late. When I got home....... my ladies were getting their beauty rest lol. I'm really anxious to tie them down and see how they react. My wife said when she looked at them earlier this evening the crystals on the leaves near the budding sites have really enhanced. I guess that SUPERthrive is worth a damn afterall lol. Its the only thing I've done differently lately. I've been giving them the Orchid BB since I started 12/12 so thats been a constant. I read a good bit of negativity about it so I was skeptical but it stunk so bad I figured it could only be good lol.

16. Heres some new pics....... They're blowin up!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

17. last couple of pics from tonight's batch..........

Attached Files:

18. New pics from tonight (13 pics). Starting to see a lot more growth in the younger plants. The older ones have stopped stretching and now they're really filling out nicely in my opinion. Give me your thoughts........

Attached Files:

19. ........and the rest......

Attached Files: