What do you think?

Discussion in 'General' started by SniperKitty, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Telling my doctor I smoke. I live in Ohio which is decriminalized but not MMJ, but I'm also a mother and my doctor knows this. Would he tell anyone? Would he do anything about it (I worry about CPS and "child endangerment")? Or should I keep it to myself. I have no choice but to go to the doctor right now, but I don't want him to waste my money and his time and effort trying to treat symptoms I've effectively already fixed. More (long) explanation below.

Basically I had surgery to remove my gallbladder, I went through a lot to figure out I had gallstones and through the months lost a lot of weight and I'm still going through nausea and pain with eating (if I eat the wrong kinds of foods, which financially it's hard to buy for 3 different diets, my husband, me, and our baby).

So I'm still having the same problems I had before the surgery, and all my doctor suggests is pills, which didn't work. I wanted to tell him I smoked so he would stop prescribing me pills, smoking helps with my eating and pain/nausea that goes along with it. It seems a waste of money to buy these pills because he's trying to fix symptoms when I've already fixed that problem with my own medicine. I want to figure out WHY I'm still having pain, not trying to mask it, I can mask the pain myself, I want him to focus on the causes not making me feel better.

This normally wouldn't be a problem, I stopped seeing him even with ongoing symptoms still occurring because I've been effectively handling it myself, if I can't eat properly to keep the pain away I have to smoke. It works and I've stopped loosing weight. BUT I've discovered something very scary, when I push my stomach out one side won't bulge far, but one side bulges massively. My mother thinks it looks like an ovarian cyst (she had one the size of a grapefruit when she was younger) and when I read online it could also be an abdominal hernia, seeing as the bulge is in the same area my surgery was which was through my abdomen on my right side.

Regardless I need to see the doctor again, this was noticed the other day and I'm so skinny because of all this that it's possible a cyst would be visible when I pushed my stomach out, it's in the correct spot for an ovarian cyst, but also in the same spot as my surgery. It doesn't cause me pain, and I'm on birthcontrol to stop my periods so I can't use that as an indicator for a cyst. It doesn't matter what it is, he needs to see it, and he's going to ask about my pain.

If I go to the doctor, he is going to ask how I'm doing and I can not lie, I'm the same as I was every time I've seen him before and after the surgery. He's going to want to prescribe pills which after trying so so many haven't worked for me. I just don't want to be given more pills for symptoms I have under control, and if I tell him I smoke to get through it then he would understand why I wasn't begging for painkillers that he offered me even though I was obviously in serious pain (I didn't smoke before seeing him so he could examine me properly). I know I have to see my doctor, and I know he's going to want to try another pill for my pain, but I worry that he's going to say something to CPS or someone else because I am a mother.

So what do you blades think? Has anyone here in a non MMJ state told their doctors they smoke for medical reasons? Would he be legally able to tell anyone? Or should I just go in and continue getting prescriptions and wasting his time trying to make my symptoms easier when I've already done that? I wish the focus was more on why it's still happening, but now I have a new problem and I want my pain to be a secondary issue.

2. What ever you tell your doc is between you and him/her Its against the law for him to tell anyone what you do

3. Chinc is correct, this is called physician–patient privilege/confidentiality. Never be nervous to hold any information from your doctor, it's his job to help you not to judge or "report" you. Besides even if he could I feel most doctors wouldnt do anything anyways, unless he's a real dick head.

4. It is mandatory that they report anything involving child abuse

if your doctor finds the fact you smoke weed to be child abuse though, then they are a terrible doctor lol

5. ^ this was my main concern, if you read the papers they to say that if you are a danger to yourself or other people they have the right to report it.

6. should be fine

7. Ohio
    Ohio Rev. Code Ann. § 2919.22(B)(6), (E)(3) (LexisNexis through 5-7-12)
    No person shall...allow the child to be on the same parcel of real property and within 100 feet of, or, in the case of more
    than one housing unit on the same parcel of real property, in the same housing unit and within 100 feet of the unit, of
    any act in violation of § 2925.04 [prohibiting the cultivation of marijuana or the manufacture of a controlled substance] or
    § 2925.041 [prohibiting the possession of any of the chemicals used in the manufacture of a controlled substance] when
    the person knows that the act is occurring, whether or not any person is prosecuted or convicted of the violation that is
    the basis of the violation of this section.
    If the drug involved [in an offense described above] is methamphetamine, the court shall impose a mandatory prison
    term on the offender as follows:
    • If the violation is third degree felony, there shall be a mandatory prison term that is not less than 2 years.
    • If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a third degree felony, there shall be a
    mandatory prison term that is not less than 5 years.
    • If the violation is a second degree felony, there shall be a mandatory prison term that is not less than 3 years.
    • If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a second degree felony, there shall be a
    mandatory prison term that is not less than 5 years.

This was found on childwelfare.gov for Parental Drug Use as Child Abuse

No person shall...allow the child to be on the same parcel of real property and within 100 feet of, or, in the case of more
    than one housing unit on the same parcel of real property, in the same housing unit and within 100 feet of the unit, of
    any act in violation of § 2925.04 [prohibiting the cultivation of marijuana or the manufacture of a controlled substance] or
    § 2925.041 [prohibiting the possession of any of the chemicals used in the manufacture of a controlled substance] when
    the person knows that the act is occurring

Someone explain that part to me, I don't quite understand it. I'm trying to figure out if smoking pot is considered child endangerment in my state (probably is) and give them the legal right to report it. This is everything I could find on my state.

8. As long as you tell him that you do your smoking activities outside of your home and away from your child you'll be fine. It's only natural for a mother to worry about something like this but I think it's safe to say you'll be fine.

9. That's difficult to do because he knows I'm a stay at home mother and I am almost the 100% caregiver. He would know I couldn't leave the house but the truth is I only smoke twice a day and I struggle through the pain before nap time and I will only smoke when he's asleep, he knows I wouldn't be able to leave the house.

10. Even with those laws, I would imagine that Every situation is likely taken into consideration, it doesn't sound like they should or would tell anyone, and I didn't read anything that makes me feel like the child is in any danger. I would straight up level with him. Be like I don't want to "feel better" I HAVE TO get BETTER.