what do you think is wrong?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by thezuk, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sorry for the long post wanted to make sure you had all the info

Ok so I am new prop 215 patient trying to grow my first Batch. I have been gardening out doors for years but never done any thing indoors besides house plants. So Here goes I would like to know what you guys think my problems are? I have some decent pics so hopefully we can solve this.

Here goes my room is a half of a closet.
    180 cfm fan pulling air from room and a small fan to move air around.
    My temps range between 75 and 83
    Humidity is between 30 and 45
    they are 1 week old clones from the club. They were under 24 hour 400w MH(girl said they were about a week old when I got them) As soon as I got home I put them under the Veg light 250w MH with about 2 feet of space.

I had to go get bigger Rockwool since the club was out.
    When I got them home I transplanted them into 4x4 Rockwool blocks.
    I used ph down and soaked them for 2 hours. I used a test strip that only went down to 5.5. So I thought I was around 5.5. then back under my 250w MH light. I also used a drop or two of LIQUINOX grow http://www.liquinox.com/about.htm. So I Think this was mistake one using cheap test strips that aren't accurate enough. I think my PH was way lower than I thought. I have a Gh test solution now. (solution was probly below 4.0 tested a different bottle a few days later)
    So my second problem was spider mites, didn't come from the club though I found that my house is infested well at least the front and back yards so I expect the whole house is.
    I did a lot of reading on the mites and I might of controlled them for now.
    I used ortho eco since brand insecticidal soap. Active ingredient potassium salts of fatty acids. I bought hot shot pest strip to put in the closet with them I've just been a little scared about it. I will put it in there tomorrow when the dogs and wife aren't around.
    So I have only watered twice since transplant the first was at day 3
    Day 3 watering the blocks were dry to the touch on top I had mixed a gallon the LIQUINOX grow at about a 1/4 tsp to a gallon when I first mixed up the batch for soaking the Rockwool. I tested this solution and it was 4.0 or lower so now I'm pretty sure that the plants were ph locked for a while they had spider might. I did dilute it down with water till it was around 6.0. then added a 1/2tsp of Orchard brand B-1 plant starter (I read I should of used this when first transplanted) I used about a 1/2G and had some run off that I tested it was coming out around 5.0 so way lower than when it went in. What does that Mean when its comes out lower than when it went in?
    My second watering was last night day 6 I went to the hydro store and talked with the lady there she said there probably missing some nutrients the need. I Picked up some GH Flora Nova and some florablend, I plan on starting the "Keep is Simple Program" until I get a few grows under my belt.
    I Mixed up what the chart said for seedling and then diluted it in half and watered the girls.
    Also I just found out while typing this post the light scheduled has been fucked up also
    Here's what its been like since I got them home
    day1 24hrs
    day2 24 hrs
    day3 24 hrs
    day 3 18 hrs
    day 4 18 hrs
    day 5 24 hours!!!! bought a timer and the fucking directions were written wrong the directions said to operate the timer have the switch flipped to the right. in fact that's wrong it needs to be flipped to the left.
    today is day 6 and I am home hand have the timer working now so it will be 18 hrs from here on out. didn't look like plants were affected though...
    But now most of the older leaves are turning yellow and some have brown spot and looks like the whole left is turning brown. I'm not sure if it over watering, nut burn or if its a deficiency. Please help

Attached Files:

2. Rockwool is shit. Throw away the big cubes and do dwc.
    But if you insist on using it, you have to soak it for a few days changing the water every day at least to get the ph stable, before putting the plants in it, but even then it will change.

And you cant let it get dry to the touch.

When it comes out lower than it went in, you aint flushed it completely, and oh did I say rockwool is shitty on PH.

I dont know what those clones cost, but you may end up being better off to shit-can the whole project and start over.

HD

3. Well I Only spent 30 bucks on them but I dont want to start over. I think keeping them alive will be good practice. Why Do you think I should trash them cuz of the rockwool or cuz of how they look?

4. Never grow in just rockwool unless you have the means to keep them wet and can flush properly. Put them in soil/coco, get some calmag and a little bloomjuice. Use 3ml on the calmag and on the bloom it just depends on brand, I use AN iguana bloom at about 2ml on babies. Do this for 2 weeks, once to twice a week depending on how they take it. Also make sure to spray down the room they are in with a neem mix, just incase the bugs come back.

5. What exactly do you mean by that? Keeping them wet would be easy I was afraid of over watering so I let them dry out. Form what you guys are saying I should keep the wet all the time...

6. You never really want to let any grow medium dry out, Also, what kind of water are you hitting them with, R.O, distilled, tap? What ph is your water at? And at what ppm? your going to at some point need to put them in either some sort of hydro or soil set up. Since this is your first time and it sounds like your trying to do it low key, go soil, it's easier.. you have more of a buffer to play around with instead of a dial in, not to mention it's cheaper.

7. #7 thezuk, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2010
    Well as of right now there inside in a closet. But I have a shed thats currently under renovation should be done in about two weeks. I wanted to give it a go so I dont mess up the frist big crop. So this is an experiment crop. We will be using a drian to waste system. Not to worried about cost just im frugle and dont want to waste money. Also I dont want to deal with soil so Im going to try till i get it right! Alos Im using tap water

8. Because you are wasting time...It will take longer to nurse those back to good health than it would to germinate a seed.

For example:
    Well rooted clones, after being put under the big light for 10 -- 15 days are ready to go to 12\12 and are 15 to 20 inches tall and as big as a 5 gal bucket.

Seeds germinated, add about 10 days to the above.
    I have a Nirvana wihite widow, from seed, it's 14 days old, has a stalk as big as a cigarette, and got it first set of 9 leaf fan leaves 2 days ago, looks like a little christmas tree right now.

9. Well Im not going to throw these out just yet I will start new ones though. Not sure If i should do seeds or clones from the club.

10. Also I realy want to nures these guys back. I want to learn about sick plants and how to fix them so in the future I know what diffrent diffencentys look like. I really do understand what you mean about starting over. Im not in a hurry the flower rooms not even done yet anyways....

11. give them what i said and they will come back in a few days but your growth period will lengthen a week or two.

12. Ok, so make ur mind up and do it now...dirt or hydro.

If hydro, you can go to wally-world and get a rubbermaid tub, depends on ur size of room or tent. A 10 gallon tub would be great for the 3 plants, or you can make the bubble buckets that rumpleforeskin or yoda has a DIY already typed up right here on GC.
    While at wally-world, get you at least a double outlet fish air pump and air stones, or you can order some really strong ones online.
    (more bubbles the better, make the water look like it boiling)
    Get ur' nutes, I use Flora series and Lucas formula, but there are other good ones out there too.
    On flea-bay, there are cheap PH and TDS meters, spend the twenty bucks and order those. While ur ordering, get you some hydroton and some net pots.
    You should have already had this shit a long time ago.

Start reading grow journals (you should have already) on either dirt or hydro. Just copy their shit and all the while keep reading and learning so when a problem comes up, and they do, you wont kill your plants like the ones here.;)

Oh, dirt is way more complicated.

HD

13. Thank a bunch guys!!! Last night I flushed them with correct ph water and gave them Nova grow and some florablend at seedling strenth they grew a good noticable amount mabey an inch. Tonight I did the same hopefully they grow like they did last night.

14. use a bloom base for the first two weeks then hit it with the grow base, the plants require a tad more P and K during this time period. Also, i have no idea how this guy finds soil harder than hydro, I use a 1 to 1 of coco and ffof and find its very easy to balance and hold, and the plants love it.

15. Because newbie's over water, add nutes to the water with their walmart dirt already fertilized and you cant adjust the ph easily, have to carry out a bucket and flush till the water is clear and not to mention the bugs that come with dirt.

Now with hydro:
    Add 5ml of micro and 10 ml of bloom per gallon and add some PH up to get it at 6.0
    ( greater than 400watts go with a bit more ML's per gallon)
    You nutes are done. Wasn't that easy.;)

You re-use all your stuff, net pots, hydroton, containers.

Keep the water boiling with air bubbles, never stop the air pumps, this is very important.

Now this is the hard part everyone has problems with, but if you stop and give it a good look it's not hard at all. You must have a digital PH and TDS meter.
    Measure the PH and TDS everyday, write this down. You really need to use RO water too, but tap will work. Dont go wild with PH adjustments, only move it like .3 either way each day but if you take the time and do it right you wont have to adjust the res, only the water you are adding.

2 methods, add back nutes or add back ph adjusted water until you replace all the water then drain and start over. Do more research on this.

And really that is all, other that hydro is almost twice as fast.:wave:

16. If you search around there are threads on here that recommend some very good PH meters that only cost like $30. That $30 will save you a lot of time, trouble, and money. You need a pH meter! If you want to be able to grow bud that is equal/exceeds what you buy at the club, PH is one of the most important factors. DO NOT OVER LOOK THIS!

Personally I think a bubble bucket is as easy as it gets. Just know with hydro a problem can kill your crop in a matter of days where with soil you have more time.