what do you listen to?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by weed<3, Jun 6, 2010.

1. #1 weed<3, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2010
    hey grasscity, ive seen a lot of threads on music this community likes. personally i have a hard time finding new music i like, theres so much to look through and so much to search. so i thought i should start this thread in which ill update regularly so theres a list of every artist mentioned in your posts.

id like this to be a sticky in which everyone can enjoy and find some new music. so lets make this legit! also feel free to add what you think about this thread and what can be improved.

heres some stuff id just like to say:
    - play it cool dont rag on other people or dis their music
    - if you have nothing useful to post, try not to unless you feel its really necissary
    - please read through the list and try not to post info that was already posted
    - questions and convos about an artist are all cool, just try not to clog up the thread
    - try to add info such as genre. would be nice if the list is organized by preferences
    hope the whole grasscity community can find this useful

acoustic:
    dispatch, slightly stupid, Devendra Banhart , Bob Dylan

rock:
    modest mouse, jimi hendrix, muse, red hot chilli peppers, sublime, alice in chains, metallica, beasty boys, the beatles, the black keys, the byrds, citizen cope, cky, death cab for cutie, the doors, grateful dead, H.I.M, incubus, iron maiden, marcy playground, the mars volta, nine inch nails, nirvana, pink floyd, queens of the stone age, rage against the machine, the white stripes, the who, wolfmother, 311, The get up kids, Neon Trees, Paper Tongues, gorillaz, Matchbox 20, Metric, The Shins, Broken Bells, Shiny Toy Guns, The Temper Trap, Panic! at the disco, kasabian, oasis

metal:
    lamb of god, atreyu, all that remains, dethklok, chimaira, trivium, amon amarth, as i lay dieing, canibal corpse, destroy the runner, ramstein, trivium, testament

rap:
    cypress hill, the game, immortal technique, jedi mind tricks, snoop dogg, kid cudi, akon, tupac, notorious big, eninem, gorilla zoe, ice cube, jay-z, la coka nostra, lil wayne, lupe fiasco, shwayze, snowgoons, wu tang clan, Blue Scholars, Macklemore, Common Market, Victor Shade, Swollen Members, Thomas Rusiak, The teddy Bears, Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Unknown Prophets, MURS, Brother Ali, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Hieroglyphics

reggae:
    bob marley, eak a mouse, damien marley, matisyahu, Groundation, Gentleman

electro:Aphex Twin, Shpongle, Cookie Monsta, Death From Above 1979, Diplo, Peaches
    MGMT, pretty lights, moby, infected mushroom,

2. #3 soapman, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
    Honestly bro, I couldn't even make a list of all the music I have. I listen to what I enjoy and don't really care who thinks it's good or bad. They don't have to listen. I'll fire off a few and you can go test the waters if you like.

As far as crappity rap rap goes, I stick to my local scene. Blue Scholars, Macklemore, Common Market, Victor Shade, etc...they'll lead you deeper down the rabbit hole if you find you like. As far as more mainstream artists go, Deltron, Guru (r.i.p.) Hieroglyphics, I really like gym class hereos (honestly kinda odd, but I like their sound) Swollen Members, Thomas Rusiak, The teddy Bears, S

My main choice is Alternative/Rock/Indie/etc.. - Them Crooked Vultures (superband) Feeder, The get up kids, Neon Trees, Paper Tongues, Gorillaz (I consider them alternative) Kill Hannah, Lily Allen, Lostprophets (I really like them, probably one of my favs) Matchbox 20, Metric, The Shins, Broken Bells, Shiny Toy Guns, The Temper Trap, Panic! at the disco.

The list goes on and on and on AND on...That's probably but the smallest pinky finger nail clipping sized list I could do by just looking at random stuff I got.

I absolutely love music...A lot of people don't actually understand my relationship with it, but for me music can take me anywhere out of this world. When I got my headphones in...don't bother me, cause one I don't care...two, whatever it is, It can wait till I come back.

3. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdPtzhnwKSs]YouTube - BLOCKHEAD "The Art of Walking"[/ame]

4. I mostly listen to classic rock, all the greats:

pink floyd, led zeppelin, the doors etc. Then theirs the fairley new rock like red hot chili peppers, kasabian ( should really check them out if you already havent, trippy as fuck when stoned) oasis, the verve etc

i listen to reggea quite alot: the marleys, bob zigi damien. Peter tosh, bunny wailer etc

i enjoy rap sometimes, not modern rap like lil wayne n shit like that god they are not rappers!!. Biggie smalls, tupac, eminem, snoop, dre, eazy e etc

yeah so i like all sorts of music man just whatever i think sounds cool, dont let the media or friends choose your tunes, go with what YOU like. Peace brother

5. Ccr for the win baby!

6. ebc, everything but country
    i listen classical, jazz, rap, hip hop, classic rock, alternative rock, all sorts of electronic type shit i don't really know how to categorize

7. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIuzJqXuxIc&feature=related]YouTube - cLOUDDEAD - I promise never to get paint on my glasses again (pt. 1)[/ame]

8. Turntablism, Tech House, Dubstep, Jungle/Atmospheric Jungle, Tribal House, Liquid DnB, Underground Hip-Hop, Nu-Jazz, Electro House, Breaks, Funky House, Prog House, Dub, Deep House, Chill Out, Minimal, Trip-Hop, Wonky, Glitch-Hop, and the list goes on...

I listen to basically everything counting out metal, country, and mainstream hip-hop. And I listen to these genre's everyday. Always learning new artists and styles. I'm a producer/DJ so I'm always trying to discover new sub-genre's and vibes to incorporate into my sets or music. It also depends on my mood.

9. dude if im not too high to remember...when i get back from my lunch break...im going to list...every fucking artist i listen too...all of um...HAHAHAHHA should consume part of my work day

10. #11 MonkeyUndead, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
    So much but heres a short list.

Rap/Hip-Hop (not too much bitches and gangsta shit): Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Unknown Prophets, MURS, Brother Ali, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Hieroglyphics.

Acoustic/Folk/-Devendra Banhart , Bob Dylan

Rock/Metal/AltRock.-Kyuss, Megadeth, Motorhead, Sublime, Nirvana, Tool, Slayer, Minus the Bear White Stripes

Reggae - Groundation, Gentleman, Damian Marley, Toots and the Maytals, The Gladiators.

Electronic- Aphex Twin, Shpongle, Cookie Monsta, Death From Above 1979, Diplo, Peaches

Pretty much anything associated with Les Claypool. Primus, Oysterhead, Frog Brigade, Holy Mackeral and Bucket of Brains.

Keller Williams is an amazing guitarist. Total stoner dude and covers a wide range of music. He's like folk/funk/reggae/acoustic/jam band.

11. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufN3sNsqNqA]YouTube - Potluck - Hotbox Anthem[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51fORR8-Kxs]YouTube - Potluck Ft. Twiztid - Smoke The Pain Away[/ame]

12. depends on the day I'm having and what I'm doing,
    Chillin out, i like mellow classic rock, Skating i like more upbeat faster music

13. Just found a new band today, Surfer Blood. They're pretty sick. They are an Indie band, their sound is kinda surfy. Should check 'em out. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Ji05Bd-t0&feature=related]YouTube - Surfer Blood - Floating Vibes[/ame]

14. everything except country,even tho that "lady antebellum" song is kinda stuck in my head

15. im liking the feedback so far, id really like to hear with what everyone else has to say

16. i listen to everything... Lately i've been listening to The Beatles and Black Sabbath... Because they are the two fundamental bands of rock n roll of course ;p

but smashing pumpkins, system of a down, blind mellon, grateful dead, tool, rage against the machine, the misfits, just to name some off the top of my head lol. a lot of classic stuff, a lot of good modern stuff, just about every bit rock'n'roll, son hah :smoke: