What do you guys think about this quote?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Gods Father, Apr 26, 2012.

1. "The path to true knowledge starts with a closed mouth and an open mind."

2. Agree 100%!

3. Definitely agree

4. I like this quote a lot. It's very true indeed.

5. Thanks guys! It was very strange for me because I was just laying in bed thinking, not about anything in particular, just letting my mind run wild and this quote seemingly "appeared" in my thoughts.

6. A simple yet great quote.

You could make it your Sig. Get rid of the way too big sig and use that. ;) :smoke:

7. I think it is true in the beginning of one's journey.

Eventually you must be able to have both your mind and your mouth open. You must know when to listen and when to interrupt.

8. Isn't that contrary to the quote? :eek:

9. Lol, you post that on here? rofl...

10. Some questions cannot be answered alone, and voice is required to acquire knowledge… but 9 times out of 10 this quote stands...

11. Sign language. :cool:

12. "knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

13. [​IMG]

14. "When pride comes, then comes shame, but with the humble is wisdom."

15. #15 Sam_Spade, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
    I think there is a grain of truth to it, but it is truly premises on a banking model of education.

I'm a big fan of Paulo Freire and his approach to education which involved a reciprocal exchange between students and educators, facilitating discourse and inspiring genuine learning through a cooperative framework.

The quote you used it interesting in relation to Friere, because Friere posited that orthodox education based on the banking model will produce a culture of silence, a dominant ideology of lethargic dualism. If you look at political issues over the last 50 years in western-industrialized countries, you'll notice that there might be some truth to his ideas.

There is something to be said for the discipline of motivated students, and being humble before knowledge is an tremendously essential asset -- but the quote also implies that knowledge production is unilineal.

16. At first glance it seems to tell us nothing we don't already know. Upon reflection, there is no such thing as an open mind if one is not free to ask questions. Therefore, I consider the statement invalid.

17. It's either a contradiction or a paradox. Anyone want to chime in on that?

18. I'm assuming the idea is that wisdom comes to those who will wait for it, but it seems the least efficient possible way to achieve it. Especially considering that waiting for it would already be a passive way of seeking it, and if you're seeking it then you shouldn't be afraid to open your mouth to ask questions.

19. Thanks for the replies!