What do you do with your soil after you finish your grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by KingJ, Mar 28, 2008.

1. My grow should be finished in about 2/3 weeks. I'm wondering what to do with all of the soil ive got in my closet ;] Do most of you folks throw it out? I heard its not worth reusing. btw im working with FFOF

2. yea i would just dump it in the backyard or something. all the nutrients have been used by your plants so whats the point of reusing it. unless ur strapped for cash maybe u could try mixing the used soil with new FFOF. But u shouldnt be broke since u will finish a grow soon lol.

3. i till mine into my veg garden.....:wave:

4. I put my FFOF in the community garden.

5. Dispose the used soil discreetly.

6. mix it back in for the next grow. like 50/50 new/used.

7. i have heard that you can reuse it just as a bit more fertilizer this time if you got the money then why not throw it out. not sure about the npk level of FFOF but most starting soils are very low in it anyway

8. Get a big rubbermaid bin and add the soil to that, get some worms from a fishing shop or something and throw them in there. Then you can add kitchen vegetable scraps. Make this into a compost bin, make sure you keep it as damp as a wet sponge and aerate it every day by moving the soil around. The worms will eat the plant material and poo in it. The worm poo is called worm castings, a lot of soil has these, including Foxfarm. When you use this soil again, whether it's for a pot-grow or a vegetable garden, try to make sure to pull the worms out. I did a good amount of research on worms to find out if they'd be good to put in grow pots, but as it turns out, some worms are invasive species, and some worms actually will eat growing vegetative matter. If you got the bad worms (the ones that eat growing plant material) from the store, they could harm your plants. Worms are not icky and I don't know why everyone is afraid of them. Spread the soil out before you re-use it and check through it for your worms, then remove these worms and add them back into the composting bin.

Composting bins do not smell bad as long as you aerate it, and keep it "as wet as a damp sponge". Doing this will make your soil VERY healthy and able to be used again. Try not to add meat to the soil because as most should know, rotting meat stinks. DO NOT add human waste.
    Happy Growing :D

9. Best way to go, get yourself a nice big compost pile going, throwing food scraps, dead grass, etc, worms, and various other things that will increase the breakdown of all of the above matter down, given a few months you should have some mighty rich soil to use for your next grow.