What do you do if the power goes out?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cataclismic, Jan 12, 2010.

1. What if you're a grower and you lose power.

2. I'm guessing your plants will die if it's for a long period of time.

3. u can look it to UPS they store power for awhile if u have power problems

4. Generator.

5. eh I can't afford a generator and I live at home and we don't have one. I mean power outtages don't usually happen to the summer

6. Well if it's in the summer, just take your plants outside during the day and readjust your timing as necessary.

7. I work for UPS, we don't have anything to do with power.

:confused::confused:

8. Uninterruptable Power Supply, it's a battery backup (often used with servers). Though you'd have to have a pretty beefy one to run HID lighting. Could probably get by with some CFLs hooked up to one though.

9. Those UPS devices for computers are not designed to last long, really just enough juice that, if you do lose power, you will be able to save your work and shut your computer down without losing your work. Even on a small grow op most UPS devices would last only 30 minutes or less.

A generator is the only good way to get electricity for an extended period of time when the power is out. A prepared grower has one and is able to use it if needed.

Cataclismic, we all live at home. By that I assume you mean you live in your parents' house, and I know you've been around this forum enough the last few weeks to see the consistent and sound advice: don't grow in your parents' house.

10. My gaming comp uses up more energy than my whole grow setup so it would last like toasty said 30 mins maybe longer.

11. A generator will obviously work better, but they make computer UPS's that are pretty large, for server racks and such. Most importantly, UPS's generally make hardly any noise (if you silence/remove the alarm), gas/diesel generators are pretty loud.

But probably only feasible for very small grows using fluorescents.