What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by GanjaEveryDay, Jan 22, 2013.

1. I was in the Army for about three years, did the Infantry thing. Got out and now I'm working at this gas station, about to get a whip and start delivering some pizzas too as a second job. Then it's off to college I suppose......got to at least SEEM like I respect normal society.

2. im a student right now then when i graduate ill be a process operater at a refinery. can you say 6 figure digits for only two years of college? :D

3. Yup, in NYC. Everyday is different. Some days I have to be in court all day, some days just for one case or not at all. Yesterday, I worked arraignment court and picked up a bunch of new cases. I'd say over 50% of my caseload is various types of weed cases (misdemeanor and felony level). Today I have a case going into the grand jury, my guy has like a million drivers license suspensions and wants to fight the case.

The work can be fairly stressful, but not as stressful as working for my boss. It's always some BS with her. But the pay is good, I have opportunities to make good money on the side, and I have unlimited sick days.

4. I'm an EMT, and also work part time as a fireman. Best jobs I've ever had, by far. It has its dangers, and it can definitely be mentally exhausting, but I love the work. And now that I've done it, I honestly can't see myself ever wanting to do anything else.

I worked a whole lot of shitty jobs from junior high up until now, factories, farm work, fast food, grocery store, roofing, landscaping, changing oil at Valvoline, certain kind of sales I can't discuss. Low pay, bad conditions, most of the time having a 'higher up' breathing down your neck. I paid my dues with crappy jobs, I'm happy and very grateful to be away from them now.

I make some extra cash turning a wrench as well. Though I do that more for the enjoyment of it than I do the money honestly :D

5. I want to be a fireman but I don't want my family to be dadless. Hopefully I ca be the one that holds the hose and not venturing inside a blazing inferno hoping to find survivors. Do you HAVE to enter the fire? Or can someone just be a driver and hose holder. And what jobs at the fire do you do when you are new to the job?

6. Engine company handles most fire suppression, be it outside or inside of a structure, while truck company handles things like forcible entry, ventilation, and search and rescue. Going into structure fires is pretty unavoidable though. You'd most likely be assigned to either engine or truck company, I was assigned to truck. Once you complete your training, you're basically thrown into whichever company they assign you to. This is how it is at my department, each one is different. Especially in urban areas, my area is mostly rural, and has no high-rise buildings, so things would be different in a large city.

Strange as it may sound, structure fires are pretty small portion of your job as a fireman. A lot of it is working as a first responder on medical calls, extrication on car accidents, and on brush fires. As far as the dangers of the job go, being smart, paying attention to your surroundings and staying in shape will minimize your risks of injury and death. More firefighters die from heart attacks and strokes on or right after calls than from trauma. The biggest cause of fatal trauma is from being struck by cars while on an accident scene, or from MVAs on the way to a call. The job has its risks, but many injuries on the job can be avoided.

Whatever you may choose, best of luck to you :D

7. try to survive 1 more week :3

8. werk @ pizza hutttt.:wave:
    I'm not looking forward to super bowl weekend. Fat hungry bastards:rolleyes:

9. Ice Arena Concessions - sucky job, but went to work high every day and worked with all of my good buds. Oh, and plenty of munchies.
    A bank - Good pay, couldn't smoke
    Retail - Bad pay, couldn't smoke. Not doing that again!

10. Damn I was a CNA for a year fuck that SHIT pun intended!

11. Was really interested in this topic. Seems a lot of you blades are probably younger and in school, or just starting out in your careers. I'm a mobile developer, I work on financial software for a large bank. My jobs really corporate and stressful, a lot of times I think it's incompatible w my love of the ganja. I've had to cut down a lot the last few years.

12. surf gc, and part time fapper

13. Student/ Sales Associate for a sporting goods chain

14. In the process of being hired to an apprenticeship program with the Sheet Metal Workers union.

Just did my interview, ill find out how i placed amongst 70 other people in a few weeks.

Currently im doing landscaping with my friend. Made $50 for 2.5 hours of work yesterday, usually make $15 an hour.

Worked at a pizza place before that, was a manager making $10 an hour

15. $10 an hour for a management position!? That's brutal! At least you are able to put management on your résumé. I would have told them to shove it if they expected me to manage and not pay me at least $13+ an hour ESPECIALLY if it's the service & restaurant industry.

16. Best job I ever had was back in the UK at an online fraud prevention company...satisfying easy office work.

Now though my job is pretty high key.. wouldn't like to risk saying what I do..but I'm making good money and enjoying 28c sunshine right now in China.

17. Rob- how's yr smoking these days? I mostly cut down to only weekends but considering a long break. I'm really trying to go hard for a promotion and that's probably the one thing I can do for that extra edge. Hate to do it though.

18. i worked at a Tim Hortons all through high school, then after my first year of college i worked on a Golf course at a country club and now this summer im working in the locker rooms at the same club. then after i finish college im looking to find a job for what i went to school for, television broadcasting and new media production.

19. #79 M3ssenger, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
    Worked as a health coach making $20/hr plus bonuses. I got fired from that because I was sick for a couple of weeks, and couldn't even get outa the house, let alone the bed. Now I just finished a contract for a shipping company but now I'm unemployed. I'm having trouble finding jobs online with Craigslist or monster because alot of them are scams or pyramid schemes. Anyone know of a good place to go job hunting?

Right now I'm making $100/ per pound that I trim at the dispensary, its considered a volunteer gig.

20. Normally id agree. It was fair enough pay with my work input though. I would have dealers drop buds off there, smoke on shift, make any food i wanted whenever, and i was on good terms with the owner who was cool as fuck.

I think the pay was fair enough, manager experience didnt do much for me though, i didnt even mention it at my interview.