Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What do u look for in bud? Red hairs trichomes color?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Shurbb, Apr 25, 2007.

1. I've been told many things about bud and many seem to be bullshit the more i learn. Some people will look at bud and say theres allot of red hairs it must be good. I dont believe this is true. It seems to me the dense buds with lots of trichomes are better. However i have some nebula x black domina i grew and it has lots of red hairs the trichomes are many but no where near the bud i picked up this weekend which had very few hairs. I will post picks as soon as i find the cord. but i would have to say the nebula x blackdomina gets me much higher. Well that was longwinded thanx for actully reading that.

My question is do you think there is a way to tell which bud is better without smoking it first? And what is that way?

2. when i judge bud, i first look at the trichome development, the leaf to calyx ration must be low, i hate leafy bud. moderate numbers of hairs arent a bad thing, personally i dont like bud thats oozing with just hair. i like a dense-moderately fluffy, chrsystally, moderate hairs, and great smell. the kinda smell that punches your nose.

3. Ok here are some pics of the bud i have.

Attached Files:

4. looks like some ok beasters. i get em for around 50 a quarter sometimes as high as 70. depending on the quality

5. Yea i would say the bottom one looks like beasters but it gets me higher than the bud on the top and i sell that 20 a gram all day

i read i the cannabis grow bible that thc levels indicate the quality. meaning some budz may have a thc level of 5 and 20% thc but the bud with the thc of a level 10 and 15% thc would get u higher im thinking one may have better quality thc. if anyone knows anything about thc levels id like to hear it.

6. Sweet, nothing like a good penis-sizing/bud price-comparing thread! :D :D

I usually judge bud by its smell, taste, look, type of high, genetics, etc.

7. sorry wrong thread. We're trying to discuss quailty of pot and the indicators of quality so quit fuckin with my thread.

8. What i have always been told is to harvest when the trichomes are milky and the hairs are about 80% brown/red. This is the ideal range to harvest.

9. no one asked about harvesting bud... Um hold the the bag to your nose and take a wiff. If it burns your nostrils a bit, chances are its going to be dank( then again i have had really smelly bud that wasn't that great.) Also break a nug in half, look in the middle at all the crystals. Red hairs dont tell shit...

10. my personal choice is light green, fluffy, light, fruity smell and "fuzzy" looking. if i cant get that i like buds with skunky genetics so the buds are crumbly.

11. I just look for good dank buds. No seeds, ever. Love it to smell sweet when breaking it up. It's good trying varieties of weeds with different attributes.

12. Living where I do.. sacks are usually 50-60 an 8th .. so I take what I can get, which are typically pretty dank nugs, occasionally sweet island or some "brand-name" buds. Someone show me where to get these cheap sacks i'm hearing about! :D

13. first of all i'll gently squeeze the bud to see how dense it is and the proceed to smell it, check out the crystals and trichomes.

14. Take macros and look for trichs is what I do. I can usually tell without zooming in on it, though.

15. soz read the thread wrong.

In that case then you can still look at the trichs for colour and if the bud is sticky (but dry) normally means there is a lot of triches / thc.

16. NO SEEDS. Should smell like something besides hay or grass clippings. Can't be compacted or bricked in any way, but doesn't matter to me if buds are fluffy or dense. Should not burn your throat or leave a bad taste in your mouth. Besides those basics, theres a bunch of things I look for personally:

1. Lots of visible tric heads, not just empty stalks (A sure sign of kiefing/mistreatment before the ganja reached you)
    2. Uplifting high (only like the knockout stuff before sleepy time)
    3. Citrus smell/taste. I've heard this is a sign of Sativa influence, but all I know is all the strains I've loved the most (Sour Diesel, NYCD, Love Potion #1, Thaitanic, Rocklock...) have had a lemon, orange, or grapefruitish smell/taste.

17. smell and density

18. well i dont often buy, but when i do i only buy sativas, and i dont like buds with extremely mature trichs, but that aint to much of a bad thing with some strong sativas

19. Damn dude..The stuff I get is $45/50 an eighth and is half the quality of the pictures posted..

20. fucking red hairs for everyday shit. beaster is key in ma.
    trichomes and the sticky-icky if i want to spend some money.