What do i need with nutrients

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by canadiankush19, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Do i need ph up and ph down? And a ph meter? If so then what type of ph +/- should i get and how much will a ph meter cost

2. Ph up and down, a ph and tds meter. As to how much to spend that depends. You can get one meter that combines both into one but it's more expensive.

3. It depends on your choice of nutrients and medium.

4. Yes, with bottled nutes you need a PH meter, up/down, calibration solution. With hydro you need a ppm meter as well, or a combo ph/ppm pen. General Hydroponics makes all 3 solutions and they work fine. $20 for a quart of calibration, $10-$12 each for up/down. So even with the cheapest meter you're looking at $60 total. (milwaukee meters are $20, bluelab $80) Add to that the cost of your nutes.

With a good organic soil you don't need any of that, the plant literally takes care of it's own PH and nutrient requirements. All I have to do is water them for perfectly healthy plants, maybe throw some castings/dry nutes into the pot once a month. My meter, bottles, nutes collect dust, and I spent a couple hundred on them :eek:

...imo synthetic nutes are better suited for large grows than for 2 or 4 plants. Small personal grows should be simple, but that's just my preference. :smoke:

5. You may need pH up or down, I only need pH down where I am. Its best to use a meter if you're using bottled nutes as they will also alter the pH of the water and grow medium :smoking:

Also you can not rule out pH problems if your plants get sick when you don't know the pH.

6. I plan on using promix soil but right now im using another soil with nutes in it for the first 2 weeks of plant life but i plan on going to foxfarm nutes in 2 weeks I plan on buying a ph meter when im there Im only using nutes for it smells lol i dont want to spend too much does anyone know what ill be spending roughly and if its worth it to get nutes? I did it last time without them it just didnt smell and wasnt too dense, the leaves went yellow and started dying but i still got about 70 grams from 2 plants cfl grown

7. Not a clue. Couldn't tell ya. I haven't the slightest idea what you'd be spending :rolleyes:

8. You can get a ph pen for under 10 buck on ebay but you kinda get what you pay for as far as accuracy and length of life.