What do I need to start?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SPM1998, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Hello, I spend a couple hundred dollars a month buying weed and I’m too broke to keep buying and decided to start growing in my own home.

I was wondering what essentials I need from experienced growers out there.

Anything for a beginner. I just need a beginners set up for now until I have enough resources and money to expand!

Anything is of help! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. PH pen, EC pen, Fox Farms soil, 600 watt cheap LED light, fabric pots, a small fan and a tent and any nutrients you like and ph up and down.

This is the basics to what you'll need. If you live in a humid climate then you'll need a dehumidifier. If you live in a cold climate, you'll need a heater.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Basically you need...

1. A growing space and equipment that allows you to control light exposure and environmental conditions (temperature and humidity).

2. Appropriate grow light for your space/expectations/budget.

3. Ability to tend to it once per day or every other day, depending on your method of growing.

4. Ability to control the smell if growing is illegal where you live (if you live near other people who might call cops).

• Like Like x 2
  4. I disagree about PH pen, EC pen, and PH controllers. I've never dealt with these things and never had a need to. I'd put those in the "maybe" category. It depends on your grow method and the quality of your tap water.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just a small tent and grow light. Small 5 gallon air pot and a little dirt. Get an outlet timer and a fan. Find a discreet place if needed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. I recommend you start by reading everything in the link below. It's really helpful to have a baseline of understanding of the process before you jump in. That'll help you have a much more successful first grow instead of asking questions here after you have problems. It's a long road from seed to smoke.

www.growweedeasy.com

In that link you can find some example grow methods, budgets, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. As a beginner, I don't think anyone should be without either as It's good to know your ph and ec at all times in any environment even if you don't need it. Problems CAN arise from anything and although it seems you've had good luck, that's not always the case with everyone and those two pens can mean life or death when diagnosing unless you're pretty good at looking at your plants which not all beginners are.

8. I think those tools can be life and death when you're growing in a hydroponic (or effectively hydroponic) situation or if you live somewhere where the water is crazy. I grow indoors and out, veggies, flowers, and weed and I've never ran into an issue that was pH or PPM related. Of course I grow in soil that I build now but I didn't start that way (initially I bought quality soil).

I've just seen so many people here getting tripped up out about getting those values within the range even when their plant is healthy or they obviously have other issues going on. Last time I checked the pH of my water, it was well outside the preferred range. But my plants have always done great, as long as I didn't fuck up somewhere. They drink straight out of the hose.

I guess it comes down to how complicated of a grow a person wants in their lives.

9. Right. And myself, I sometimes like to dial in a specific PH because some nutes are taken up better at specific ph. Once you learn how to do that, you can get explosive growth at all stages. All tools are there for the use because they've proven useful at one point or another. I agree, people can go overboard and ph the hell out of their water to a point where its hurtful. Also why anyone who gets both should learn how to use them properly.

Organic grows dont need these to feed their plants usually because its all regulated by the dirt BUT it is nice to check the run off when watering to make sure everything is within your liking so you know if you want to add more bat guano later or have something with a little more ec or a little lower ph. They are useful for every area of gardening that uses any water at all in more ways than one imo.