What do certain songs mean to you?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Floydian, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Title says it all. What does any certain song mean to you? What makes you listen to it? What kind of emotion is it expressing for you?

2. I have a lot of songs that I associate with certain people; Led Zeppelin - "Hey Hey What Can I Do" will always remind me of this girl I had a crush on in high school. Other songs remind me of really specific settings. Grateful Dead - "Uncle John's Band" always reminds me of a summer night in the backyard of the house I lived in when I was young. The funny thing is that I rarely know why certain songs arouse certain feelings. It seems pretty random.

3. i recently split with my girlfriend and Hinder always gets me. It doesnt really make me sad, but just makes me more motivated to get her back. Floyd, fuckin floyd man. Floyd has always just hit me so damn hard. Anytime im in a bad mood i can put any floyd album on and it will brighten me up. It seems for some wierd reason that when the awesome sound of them flows into my ears, i cant be touched. By the way, i want to die to 'Learning To Fly' on Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Also, most String Cheese Indcident songs make me REALLY happy. they are just so upbeat.

4. "You Know Your Right" - Nirvana

This song makes me want to cry, sometimes i shed some tears. You can just feel his emotion being let out into the track.

5. I have recently been listing to Bands like Mastodon, Priestess, Wolfmother and the such, which makes me want to watch hockey.

6. #6 Floydian, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019

7. animal collective gives me a weird feeling every time I listen to them. My best friend and I used to robotrip all night and listen to their albums on repeat. I'd pass out and then the next morning wake up to hearing the shit still playing. Good times, for sure.

Just certain bands or songs remind me of different parts of my life, some remind me of summer, some remind me of my first experiments with drugs. I cant really recall all of them, its just something I notice when I hear a song.

8. love her madly by the doors reminds me of a girl i liked in middle school, killer queen reminds me of a bunch of rich people doing cocaine, the final cut by coheed makes me think of every ugly breakup i've ever had.

9. mad World by Gary Jules makes me think of my friend who recently OD'd and died from Methadone pills on december 1st. He just put the song on his myspace that night he OD'd and it just makes me think of him. He wa slike my little bro.

10. when i play Ripple by the dead I can't help but just think happy thoughts. :smoking:

11. My condolences, deaths near the holidays can be especially crushing, but just persever and remember the good times.

As many have already said, specific songs to remind me of very specific things, but overall it's more like a setting, a significant time period in my life, or a person.

Sublime will forever remind me of my dad's old house. Blasting that shit on the xbox so we could hear it outside and smoking tons of ganja with great friend, splashin in the pool and jumping off my roof. Sublime also reminds me of a girl who I had a very confusing, complex sort of non-relationship with. Always reminds me of her.

Any Mars Volta song gives me a great epic, humbling feeling. Sometimes I will actually get tense or meditative on the song. It also just reminds me of all the times me and my two best friends first started smoking weed together, always listening to some Mars Volta, blastin that shit in my whip while we cruised around high as shit, shit, we even all three came up with our OWN versions of deloused. So yeah, The Mars Volta never fails to move me or at the very least remind me of great times.

I have 5 or so girls who are randomly thrown into my thought process when I hear a wide variety of Alkaline Trio songs. "Emma" reminds me of my first girlfriend, "Blue Carolina" will actually make me feel depressed and has at times brought me to tears, as have a majority of other alkaline trio songs. and I'm not ashamed to admit that at all. Blue Carolina reminds me of this girl that I've pretty much been stuck on for a while now. Anyway.

At The Drive-In always stimulates my political side, accordingly. And strangely reminds me of my ex-girlfriend, just because it was one of the only bands on my Ipod she could stand to listen to other than Alkaline Trio.

The Fall of Troy reminds me of my friend V, one of the two best friends from above because one time he was wasted and we got pulled because I was speeding, most definitely because I was listening to The Fall of Troy. Plus he got me into them.

Green Day reminds me of my other friend above, D. We went and saw them and he dislocated his shoulder and we didn't get to blaze, shit sucked. But the show was so word.

Sunday's Best reminds me of my friend Rob, because for his birthday we got to get a professional photographer to follow us around Jackson Hole and film us and shit. Anyway, for the final product he chose mostly Sunday's Best. That whole experience was stellar and actually Sunday's Best reminds me of Jackson Hole.

That's enough, I'm so high.

12. Thanks man. Yeah it's tough but he ALWAYS had a huge smile on his face that you think of and cant help to smile again. I'm thinking of posting a pic of him and his smile, maybe start a memorial thread. Well thanks ago bro.