What disease is this on my plant?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by cwong79, May 11, 2010.

1. Hey GC,

I have noticed one of my plants has brown spots on its leaves between the veins kinda, so i can't quite put my finger on which sickness it has. I thought of high levels of ph, which I check and was at 7.0. I flushed the water and changed it out with RO water and set the ph between 5.0-6.0. Other cause too much nutes, nute burn? When I changed the water yesterday I changed out 10 gallons and added 1 teaspoon per gallon of the GH Florabloom, Floramicro, and Floragrow. Before that was about 1 1/2 weeks ago when I had 9 gallons of RO water with 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of nutes. Timer for flood and drain was set at 3 times a day every 8 hours. I just set it yesterday for 4 times a day at every 6 hours.
    One other plant has different color tips. This is cause not enough magnesium or nute burn as well? Please help me out GC.

Attached Files:

2. Hi there.

You need to keep a really close eye on your ppms and pH in a hydro grow.

For instance, 7pH is way too high, 5 is probably way too low. Do you have a good meter for reading pH? Is it reliable? :)

Do you have a ppm meter? If so, what is your reading?

The big spots on the leaves look like nothing more than water spots that have been spilt on the leaves. However, I can see thee very beginnings of both nute and pH trouble.....you need to get a handle on these for a successful grow.

Aim for 5.8-6 on your pH. :)

3. #3 cwong79, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
    What type of medium; soil or hydro? hydro, flood & drain
    What brand and type of soil? N/A
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? Northern Lights Lowryders, Lemon Skunk, feminized
    How old are the plants? 23 days
    What type of lights and how many watts? CFL daylight 332w = 1240w as of now 24/0
    How far from the lights? 5-6 inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? reservoir, RO water with air stones, flood every 6 hours for 10 min.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? FloraBloom 0-5-4, FloraMicro 5-0-1, FloraGro 2-1-6, flushed out reservoir and added 10 gallons of Ro water chnged ph to 5.5-6.0 and added 1 tsp./gallon of each nute. which was 2 days ago.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? ph @ 5.5-6.0, ppm N/A
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? temp in room about 66-68F
    What size pots? 5"
    Any bugs? Look real close. N/A
    Any other pertinent info? N/A

If I am doing anything wrong, please let me know.

I noticed some of my other plants the tips are turning light green too.

4. Thanks for your input. I didn't see any drops of water on that many leaves. Some new brown spots are growing to the right of the middle leaf in the second picture. I just checked the ph and its between 5-6, closer to 6. Im using a solution to check my ph.

5. The spots are more than likely caused by your huge swing in pH.

I stand by what I said originally, good quality pH and ppm meters are essential, are you really not measuring ppms at all? :confused:

6. I am, Im going to buy a kit later today.

I looked at my roots and some of it look whiteish brown. One of them felt a bit slimy. Ths is root rotting right? Due to high level in temp?
    And are the tips turning light green because of the ph too?

7. The tips are showing slight signs of nute burn, nothing serious yet, but it's why you need to keep an eye on your ppms.
    Can we see a good pic of the roots? It certainly sounds like you could have a problem there, what temp is your res water?

8. Omg.. So I looked closely at one of my other plants and the tips are turning brown, like its burning. Water temp seems to be at 71F. Should I flush this water out and add new water in without nutes?

Here are the pics.

Attached Files:

9. The nute burn really isn't bad man :smoking: some might say it was the perfect amount of burn ;).

It would really help to know what your ppm is, I sound like a broken record. :rolleyes: It's just that I'm finding it hard to advise you without one. :( If you are concerned that you have overfed, then sure, just go with pH adjusted water until you can control your ppms better, but you won't get away with that for long, she'll need food, just gradually. :)

Roots look alright to me. :confused: Is this your first hydro grow? It can be easy to worry too much. Your girls actually look pretty good and you obviously care about them, they'll be fine.

10. hey thanks for all your help and input freedom. you're very helpful. i'll let you know the ppm when i get a test kit today. i just want them to grow up strong and healthy.

yes, this is my first hydro grow and first grow in fact. maybe im doing too much for myself.

11. quit spilling water on em ..while the lights are on ....

12. It's very easy to love them to death man, I know, I did it myself when I started out. :eek::smoking:;)

They're doing great. Shout when you get your ppm meter and we'll make sure she's getting the right dose of food. :)

Best of luck.

13. i flushed my reservior today and added new water with ph at 5.5-6.0 without nutes. im going to keep it like this for a couple days for the nute burn problem. i went to ask for a ppm meter but it was like $100. the employee at the hydroponic store said the ppm levels would be fine if you add nutes for 80% of your reservoir. but im looking online for a cheap one.

14. Bollocks to that price man! :eek: Get one off Ebay for a 10th of that price! :wave: I use one that I got off Ebay and it's served me well for ages. :)

The closer you can keep your pH to 5.8, the better. ;)