what did i do wrong?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lifesucks, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Hey! In the spring I planted some bag seeds i collected over the years, and everything was going really well, the plants looked really good, i harvested, trimmed and dried the buds, and i started curing them. The problem is they have no effect whatsoever.And also it had a good smell, but since i started curing (in a glass jar) they smell like hay or idk. I dont understand this because i can see the trichomes on the buds and everything. I dont understand what i did wrong. This is my first time growing btw, i could really really use some advice.Thanks!

2. You would of harvested way too early... you need a jewlers loupe or magnifying glass to see the trichromes and havest when they have half turned amber... before then they will do what you said "nothing"

3. yeah maybe thats it, i decided to harvest because most of the white hairs have turned brown, and i read somewhere that its a sign that you can harvest.

4. IMG_0572.PNG

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. IMG_0649.PNG
    Welcome im on first grow as well, but have leant that the orange hairs are just an indicater it's starting to get ready... but really need to check with a little tool like this one... mines on the way and I'm about 3 weeks off I think

• Like Like x 1
  6. #7 mactheman, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    it all depends on how you like your high as well ,,,,50%amber and 50% cloudy trichomes for me and others would be maybe a bit more couch lock ....i go for around 20% amber i like a bit more head high ,,,,it all depend on what you like ..and some strains you dont really see any amber at all or very little so go for could/white trichomes ...mac..

• Like Like x 2
  7. There's two steps to drying and curing and they are ... wait for it ... drying and curing (Yes I go by Mr. Obvious in some areas :rolleyes:)
    During the drying phase you want to get a lot of moisture out of the plants quickly, but not to the point the plants crumble. It's best to hang in a cool dark area like a closet, and keep a fan circulating the air around the plants. BUT NEVER USE HEAT. You didn't say you did, but one of the things that will absolutely kill weed is applying heat to speed the dry and cure. Think about it - vap-ing activates the THC to a vapor that you inhale to get high. But just applying heat will activate the THC, and when you smoke it later there's none left for you.
    But back to drying and curing. During the initial drying phase the plant will take on the aroma of cut yard grass. This is the chlorophyll evaporating from the plant, and is normal / what you want. As soon as the outside of the hanging buds feel dry to the touch, you want to slow the drying process to give time for the internal moisture in the bud to work its way to the outside, and evaporate with more chlorophyll. The simple way for this is to put the buds in a paper sack, fold the top over to seal, and let sit overnight. Open the bag, the contents should be moist. Gently turn the weed over and leave the sack open until the moisture has evaporated (one to several hours to even overnight - go by feel). Once they feel dry again, seal and repeat. After a few days, and after an overnight sit-in-the-sack draws no moisture out, it's thime for first phase of curing. Put the weed in a sealable container (I like the GLAD brand disposable / re-usable containers, cheap and lots of sizes), seal the lid, and let sit overnight. Once again, when you open the buds should be moist. Leave open, even go back to the pager bag for a bit if needed. Continue this regimen until you can go several days with no obvious increase in moisture. Somewhere around this stage the wonderful aroma of good weed should start coming back, and the plant is smokable. Potency will improve a bit with further curing.
    But an ineffective cure is not enough for a plant to do NOTHING when you smoke it. Something else must have happened and heat is the only thing I can think of that renders weed totally ineffective. Do you have any other clues for anything unusual you did?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. i didnt do anything unusual, i hanged the buds upside down in a dark place with avarage temperature ( like 20 or 22 celsius) and humidity, i left them for a week and then i put them in glass jars.

9. That is usually the sight of a early harvest . Go 2 weeks longer nxt time if u csn. Also everyone does the wet trim thing cutting the plant down then trimming. Try not to b so in a rush let the buds hang dry for 7-10 days then trim off ur leafs it will produce a much better product