What def. causes tips to curl under

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by masterlights, May 11, 2012.

1. I have a gril thats 3-4 wks of veg that has somewhat dark green foliage/slightly purple fan leaf stems and the tips of the fan leaves curl underward slightly.I know if the tips curl upward its a tell tale sign its a Magnesium def but what if the tips seem to curl underward slighly.(Not overwatering BTW).

Last feed I gave her was today at about 500PPM and got about 600 PPM as the runoff(COCO).The fan leaf tips are ever so slightly burnt but nothing insane.

Le me know guys!

2. I wanna know too. U just described my problem. It doesn't lookin serious but I def wanna fix mine too. Anyone with advice?

3. You both should post pics and feeding info. Cory, if you post pics you should start a new thread but you could post a link to it here if Masterlights doesn't mind.

4. Mines just a tester plant before my real grow.(for the temps and such) It hasnt been fed any nutes since cloning. That's 1 and a half months. In just the soil (ff ocean forest). I haven't phd or ppmd anything yet. So its either a lack of nutes or Ur ph or ppm is off. I'm sure I didn't help any bu good luck :)

5. Curling under is usually a sign if Mag. Deficientcy.

6. What about the purple stems? Is that a mag def too? I my top leaves r kinda rough, I was thinkin the curlings from my lights being to close.

7. I found from xp that if its too hot the leaves point up, not down.

8. Really? Ever sense I moved my lights away they stopped curling. I read in some forums that the purple stem can be either from the strain, or stress. Few said anything about anykind of def.

9. I know this is an older thread, but I just thought i'd chime in as this was one of only two threads that came up when I searched for answers to my leaf curling under problem.

Another cause of leaves curling under is nitrogen toxicity.

To rectify, flush your system with plain pH'd water, and lower the levels of nitrogen in your feedings until the leaves return to normal.

Yes you are right about the toxicity... the thing that tipped me off was dark green leaves... that combined with the curling under is a slam dunk. i do however disagree with your remedy... just LITFA and let it sort itself out. Unless you are in flower a N toxicity isn't going to result in a negative effect on the buds (during flower you will get a high leaf to calyx ratio). Flushing is just god awful for your soil and for your plant and will often result in multiple deficiencies which in turn will need diagnosed and "fixed" If you just LITFA the plant will consume the N until it is at a better level (unless it is just an insane amount of N in the soil). Any mild nute burn or mild toxicity should just be left alone for a week and then revisited. Otherwise you will find yourself in a never ending cycle of chasing deficiencies and toxicity.