What can sizzling mean?

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by deadphishcheez4, Aug 15, 2012.

1. So generally we have a negative connotation to a sizzling sound when the hash touches the nail.

I recently tried activated oil in a syringe from a dispensary. It said CO2 oil and was a beautiful color amber. It had the % of thc on the package and it was able to be applied through vaporizing, ingesting, or rubbing in your skin.

When it hit the nail there was a "bad" sizzling sound followed by a unique taste and a lot of coughing post-dabule. It definitely got me high so what's the issue, is what I thought.

I also have this butane oil (not from dispensary) that sizzles a bit quieter on the nail, unless its straight out of the freezer. It definitely gets me high. To me it just sounds like the sound of water hitting a pan on the stove, but on a smaller scale, hopefully just a small presence of water in the oil.

I don't have a headache or any bad side effects, I'm just stoned. Any thoughts?

2. Dude sometimes I go to my friend's house and he blows glass. So he's got this huge torch for glassblowing, and he'll use it to heat up the nail, (titanium). That motherfucker gets so red hot from that huge torch, I dunno if this thing is even still a torch it's like a flame thrower that runs of a big ass oxygen tank. But anyway, you get that nail hot enough, and it seems like anything you put on there will sizzle. I've put darker creamier looking stuff that came off an ass ton of trim, stuff that was just yellow and clear, like a first small run off some unground buds, at a certain heat level, pretty much anything just fries. I don't think it matters that much. Not an expert though. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info.

3. Hmm, I use a propane torch on a quartz nail, so that may explain it because of the quartz's + the torch's ability to heat up quickly to 'red' temperatures.

4. Most likely water or butane left in the oil

5. Can't be more than comes off a bic really. Should be fine.

6. From my experience sizzling is from excess moister in the concentrate. Usually means the product wasn't properly purged, but some extracts just sizzle like THC gold by tetra labs.

7. In my brief experience with a quartz nail, every single dab I did seemed to 'sizzle' just a little. And sometimes if I use 91% iso to clean my reclaim instead of 99% ill also encounter a slight sizzle, due to excess moisture, which could certainly also lead to a ton of coughing, like if you've ever tried to smoke a bud that hasn't been dried yet. You said it came in a syringe, so is the consistency super liquid-y? Then my bet is definitely on moisture, probably nothing too harmful either if its meant to be vaporized.

8. the sizzle is impurities or moisture in the oil. like stated in the post above me, if it came in a syringe it most likely had a somewhat liquid consistency which would mean it was lower purity and the sizzle is to be expected.

if we run fan leaves and crappy trim the oil comes out black and liquid like grease and sizzles like crazy on the nail. if we run a tube of the most choice flowers off a plant it comes out the color of butterscotch and is solid enough to pick up by hand and pull a piece off with your fingers. oil like this sizzles very little, if at all, because it is alot more pure.

9. Eww do people actually run fan leaves? I figured this oil I have was made from trim because it's on the dark side. It is very greasy and sticky but I doubt anyone would run fan leaves because that's straight chlorophyll.

10. #10 System 7, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
    people run almost anything when they have no more oil lol. 2 or 3 greasy dabs at the cost of a $5.50 can of vector can be appealing at some point. im not so hot on that oil, i like the honey/ butterscotch colored stuff (like everyone), but my buddy would rather hit that then flowers. and honestly, some of these fan leaves are crystal crusted over about half their surface area, i think the co2 system helps with that.

you have to assume that dispensarys waste nothing and throw everything left over in for oil, which is why its usually black in videos. the hoots i took today were so light gold that it was almost clear, but that came from 5g of choice flowers.

11. CO2 oil is commonly referred to as "red oil" due to its distinctive color. If it really is CO2 oil, I wouldn't worry about it, it's its own thing: taste, color, consistency, etc. Are all slightly different than bho or iso.
    Chances are: you're good, but post some pics/vids of the oil to have a better idea of what you're working with...

Good Growing and Happy Toking!

12. no no, not co2 oil, a co2 system in the sealed grow room. the fan leaves from some of the girls in there come out crusted in crystal along about 35-40% of their surface area. so we run them for oil, it comes out greasy like a re-run, but its not bad if your out of oil and need to medicate.

13. [quote name='"System 7"']no no, not co2 oil, a co2 system in the sealed grow room. the fan leaves from some of the girls in there come out crusted in crystal along about 35-40% of their surface area. so we run them for oil, it comes out greasy like a re-run, but its not bad if your out of oil and need to medicate.[/quote]

You DO know there is such a thing as CO2 oil right, and that it's very common in medical areas... And that I've never heard of co2 supplemented grows' oils referred to as "co2 oil". And that I'm pretty damn sure that the OP has some BOMB ass super-critically extracted CO2 oil made from a 30k+ professional grade extraction machine. Look into supercritical fluid extractions with carbon dioxide and you'll see what I'm talking about.

OP: like I said before, if it's CO2 oil from a dispensary chances are you are GOLDEN.

14. Yeah it was from a dispensary and it was red oil. It just didn't taste that good to me and the sizzling was a turn off. Apparently people tend to use it in edibles and not smoke it as much.

15. [quote name='"deadphishcheez4"']Yeah it was from a dispensary and it was red oil. It just didn't taste that good to me and the sizzling was a turn off. Apparently people tend to use it in edibles and not smoke it as much.[/quote]

It's taste isn't all that great, compared to bho; but it usually is a bit more potent and/or safe, even with the sizzle, I know the CBD oil I buy is co2 and it definitely has a much more noticeable sizzle.

16. i do not in any way dispute the OP oil being co2 oil, or not co2 oil. nor did i mean to say my oil is in any way co2 oil. and yes, i am aware of laws in cali preventing the production of BHO, and the use of co2 for oil in those areas.
    i simply ment to say that fan leaves, from plants supplemented with a co2 system, can be run for oil if they are of reasonable quality. we get a couple decent dabs from garbage leaves and trim. they have crystals on them and are better used for this then compost.

17. Where you can eat it and presumably become medicated, and where they expect it to be efficient trasnderamlly (ie. penetrates the skin) and because they only mention vaping, and not smoking, it sounds like a glycerin hash/concentrate tincture, that has been over-heated and combusted, rather than properly vaped.

If you overheat your nails/skillets, you are combusting, not vaping... just something to be careful about. :)

18. Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just bought a nail and I am curious as to what are the key tell tale signs of combusting? I'm using a HE dualiti domeless nail with a tiny bernzomatic minitorch ($30 variety) and it takes a good 30-40 seconds to get just a corner of the nail glowing red. I've been heating up probably like a 1/6th section of nail until it is glowing red and then waiting for the glow to dissipate and then dabbing (usually around a 5-7 second wait). I'm getting fat hits but on the darker waxier older shatter that I have, the wax seems to like OP said, sizzle and almost spark. Mind you, this wax is coming straight out of the freezer because at room temps the shatter is just way too stick and greasy (i'm assuming this was made from trim even though its from a well known xtract maker Terp X out here in NorCal).

TLDR; I'm just wondering if anyone can clear up the differences between vaporizing and combusting your dabs ie what visual references/heat references can we use to know we are vaping and not just combusting our dabs.

19. #19 tstick, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
    In my experience with dispensary CO2 oil, it doesn't taste good at all. It has a chemical/petroleum kind of taste. It LOOKS fantastic, though. And it medicates extremely well....It's just not tasty. It's been refined so much that it has very little terpene left -if any.

I had to try it, but it's not for me. I prefer shatters or waxes....better yet, 5-star bubble hash is my favorite (when I can find it!)